BT infinity FTTC - High Demand on exchange/cabinet

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Does anyone know about FTTC High Demand issues?

My parents exchange was recently (finally) upgraded to BT Infinity FTTC. They have been stuck on a 2Mbit ADSL connection for a very long time, so it has restricted them when wanting to use things like Sky on demand services. I checked their connection and it said they should get about 35Mbit, so that would be great.

However I ran a line check yesterday and it's now saying they can't currently get BT Infinity at their address, and so I looked on the Open Reach service checker and it is showing the exchange as activated but not accepting new orders due to High Demand for the service.

Does anyone know anything about this? I'm assuming there are only so many connections available on each street cabinet and at the moment due to demand they have all been used. Is this correct?

Does anyone know how long it takes BT/Open Reach to free up more connections? And allow new orders?

I'm also worried about this because I'm currently in the process of moving house. I checked the broadband available at the house I'm buying and it said Infinity was available to order, so I was happy. However I also checked that address and it is also now saying they are not taking new orders due to high demand. I'm probably not moving for about 2 months so there is a bit of time, but it's going to be really annoying if I have to downgrade to ADSL for a while as I need to faster connection for me work.

Anyone know any details or any sites that give updates on exchange and street cabinet availability?

Ot has anyone had this issues and finally been able to place an order?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
That site just lists that the exchange and cabinets are activated, but doesn't show the demand or availability. Whereas Open Reach checker actually shows as high demand and no new orders being accepted.

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
it could be other companys like chat chat have bought up a bunch of them and may be able to provide the connection for you.
but in my expirience it just takes a while then they start to accept connections.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Thanks. Using my parents phone number it is showing it should be available to order from the 5th August, so that is good if true.

For the address I'm moving to, obviously I don't currently have a phone number and using just the postcode doesn't work as it doesn't show any FTTC results, just wrong ADSL results from years ago. Tried just the postcode for my own address and also didn't work, but my current phone number did. Maybe it can't resolve accurately enough the cabinet from the postcode alone.

- - - Updated - - -

I just had an idea. I know the name and address of the current owner of the house I'm buying, so I managed to look up their current phone number on the BT Wholesale site and it is saying Infinity is available now. So the phone number makes a big difference compared to the postcode. Also know the cabinet number which could be useful when ordering the move.

Top Bottom