Buffered IDE Interface - Help me!

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

I recently purchased an Eyetech Universal 4 IDE buffered interface to suit the A600/A1200.

I have correctly installed it in a working A1200 and plugged the (working) 44 pin 2.5" IDE to Compact Flash adapter card into the 44 pin connection on the buffered interface.

This is where things go pair shaped.

It will boot off the HD until Setpatch causes a reset and then it simply displays the KS 3.1 screen...

Unplug the interface and plug it directly to the A1200 board and it boots until Setpatch causes a reset, then boots to WB.

It is the ONLY device currently connected. Surely IDE fix does not need to be installed when only one device is being used?

Please help, Im at my wits end.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Hi Blankstare,

C:Setpatch QUIET

Thats it.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but right at the beginning of the start up is:

C:Loadmodule scsi.device - this is the new scsi.device with supports larger partitions, without it my HD will not be recognised. Perhaps it is incompatible with the IDE interface (although I cannot think why).

What arguments (if any) are on the same line as the Setpatch command?

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Ill try that, but I should mention I am running ClassicWB 3.1, not 3.5 or 3.9 (I thought the rom updates were only in those).

Cant hurt to try though, so trying now...

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

No good. As I thought, changing the Setpatch command to"- Setpatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET simply caused the error "Setpatch - wrong number of arguments"

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Removes QUIET = C:Setpatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device"= "wrong number of arguments"

No change.

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@abraXXious

Try to install IDE-Fix 97 & NSDPatch

Startup-Sequence:

C:IDEFix
C:SetPatch QUIET
C:NSDPatch QUIET

User-Startup:
C:ActivateCrossIDEFix ALL

Recommendations to partitions:

DH0: => From 400MB to 492MB FFS, Buffers: 30, Sector Size: 512
DH1: => From 1, 2, to 3.8GB SFS 1.277 or 1.279, Buffers: 80, Sector Size 1024

Other partitions recommended SFS (with other parameters)

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
OKiez, have it working - did not like the new scsi.device that loadmodule was installing.

Commented that out - boots fine, but slower than before. :(

Will IDEfix97 speed this up?

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
maybe. IDE-Fix "open" the four ports of the buffered interface and also uses the "buffer" to r/w operations.

NSDPatch is best solution for >4GB partitions ("maked" by SFS or other FileSystem).

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Hi Merlinkv,

thanks guys for all the responses/help. I now have it working. It was the new scsi.device being loaded by Loadmodule. For some reason it is not compatible with the buffered IDE interface, yet the stock A1200 interface works perfectly with it.

I removed it from startup sequence, booted (most partitions not visible), installed IDEFix97 and NSDPatch and bingo! System now recognises all partitions and runs fine. Also, large files seem to read/write faster.

Again, thanks for all your help. This thread can now be closed.

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
@abraXXious

My congratulations! (y)

Don't hesitate to ask about any doubt that you should have.

Cheers m8

Top Bottom