Building myself an arcade cabinet

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
This is after the first day of hard wood work :) Considering I have no prior experience in this kind of jobs... I'm pretty happy with it! I'll post more pictures soon.

rN2b6aO.jpg

hese

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Savo
Wow, that looks very nice. Well done. (y)
What kind of machine are you planning on putting there?

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
Wow, that looks very nice. Well done. (y)
What kind of machine are you planning on putting there?

thanks, hese.

I have a mini-itx rig that I will load with MAME I guess. I've found a very nice 19" LCD 4:3 by Nec that is simply pefect for it.

I made a lot of mistakes of course being this my first cabinet, but it should be working at the end!

LeonTubrok

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Lancs
"no prior experience "? you done jig work b4, must have, looks like a pro job! what are the guts of it going to be?

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
"no prior experience "? you done jig work b4, must have, looks like a pro job! what are the guts of it going to be?

Thank you guys.

I have an old i5 (don't remember what generation) that should be just fine as a MAME box. Another option would be a minimig or a jamma board, but since I already have this spare mini-itx i5 I'll start from there.

For the console I've purchased some professional arcade sticks and buttons which are simply fantastic! The controller is an i-Pac (pretty standard for this kind of things I'm said).

This is the work-in-progress console.

UlvlKgn.jpg

The sides will be decorated with PVC and the theme is "Soul Calibur".

rEKZZls.jpg

Last edited:

plazma

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu
Thank you guys.

I have an old i5 (don't remember what generation) that should be just fine as a MAME box. Another option would be a minimig or a jamma board, but since I already have this spare mini-itx i5 I'll start from there.

For the console I've purchased some professional arcade sticks and buttons which are simply fantastic! The controller is an i-Pac (pretty standard for this kind of things I'm said).

This is the work-in-progress console.

The sides will be decorated with PVC and the theme is "Soul Calibur".

I have saved few old Xbox consoles for my cabinet project. Coinops and Visionary are good emulator packages for it.

Where did you get the prints?

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
thanks everybody!

Today's progress

hcOriFm.jpg

I added the keyboard tray and the fixing system for the console that can be remove to check on the electronics beneath. Also monitor screen. Tomorrow I have to fix the vesa mount for the monitor somehow... and hopefully the speakers.

PS: gosh! I thought it was easier!

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
My original trade is a fully qualified joiner but looking at the quality of your work I feel like asking if you'll make me one as well (y)

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
:oops:

that would be insanely expensive to ship :) but I can share the blueprints.

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
Really nice workmanship there Matt3o. I'd also add something like this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Munzprufer-M...-Euro-Coins-/252053364705?hash=item3aaf8d1fe1 on the front to give it a more Arcade feel :)
Or if you search around you'll probably find one of the original square black ones.

Bryce.

thanks!

I thought about that, I've found a coin door at around €60, but it would add work and weight and it would be merely cosmetical. Anyway it's something I could add at the very last time, so I'm not worried about it.

Last edited:

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
The coin acceptors usually have a simple microswitch too, which means the button and even inserting a coin action can be connected to the system and assigned functions in MAME.

Bryce.

Top Bottom