AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Here's my setup folks.

1200A.jpg

That's a Micronik A-1200 6860 Rev. 5.44 busboard, and Winner 030@40 with 32MB RAM. Lots of questions, but here's the most important one:
What's the pinout on the "AT-like" power socket? If i use Ian Stedman's ATX adapter to power the A1200, can i also draw power from the same PSU and feed the busboard too? Anyone got any experience over this thingy? :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
The power connector on the Busboard is either a P8 or P9 connector. These connection types were always available on AT PSU's.
It might be stamped on the plastic or board itself & should say in the Manual. Some ATX PSU's do have these connectors but you might need a converter of some sort for those that don't.

Here's a link for P8 & P9, but you need to know which one this board uses. ;)

http://www.brainbell.com/tutors/A+/Hardware/Power_Supply_Connectors.htm

another here:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsMotherboard-c.html

& a nicer one here:

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/AT_Motherboard_Power

Kin

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Thanks for replying Kin, i've no documentation for this board, and can't seem to track any printed dets on the board itself.. From what i've read elsewhere i think there's some changes to an actual AT PSU in order to make this busboard work. I'll have to trace that info again. I'm not even sure if it needs the extra power in case i use an ATX directly on the A1200 though..
The whole thing has to be served by a single PSU as you understand though, be it an AT or ATX. Preferably an ATX due to the interface i got form Steddy.:)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Talk to fitzsteve & Zetr0. I'm sure they have had experience with similar setup's to this. ;)

Kin

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I'll find you the info my friend, give me a short time to find it (y)

Zetr0 had to make a custom PSU which he sold me which I sold with the Busboard...

Edit:

Check out this post at EAB, it should have all the info you need to make up a connector:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=657526&postcount=13

The Busboard powers the A1200, so you just need to connect ATX to the Busboard with a custom connector or modified PSU

BTW I couldn't find a connector for sale anywhere :(

Lucky I could still get the Modified PSU from Zetr0.. At one point I asked Amigakit to make me a connector but they didn't come back to me in time and I took Zetr0's PSU.

Steve.

Edit2:

More useful info here, like Jumper Settings...

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=1391

Last edited:

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Thanks for the linkie Steve, i'm worried by the fact that it's a different model though.. Hopefully all (?) Micronik busboards have the same supply pinout... :huh:
Here's a reference:
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=1386
If there's deffinite details for the pinout, i could build an adapter based on Z's experience.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Thanks for the linkie Steve, i'm worried by the fact that it's a different model though.. Hopefully all (?) Micronik busboards have the same supply pinout... :huh:
Here's a reference:
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=1386
If there's deffinite details for the pinout, i could build an adapter based on Z's experience.

The P9 & P8 connectors are an Industry standard. All you need to know is which one it is. P9 or P8. ;)

The P9 & P8 connectors from the PSU are actually keyed with a Pip, so they would only fit one way when both fitted together. If fitzsteve can look at the PSU he used, the P9 or P8 sould be cast into the plastic itself. It's tricky to see it, but angling it towards a bright window light should expose the marking. ;)

Kin

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Salaxi54

if you plug in a P8 or P9 connector you will blow the board and or motherboard.

Although I am pretty sure the micronick z2 and z3 series boards use the same power, I cannot say 100% certainly - so its time to get a multimeter out.

using this image guide

powerconnector.png

we can buzz out with a multimeter the voltage and ground lines...

firstly test the -12v by plugging a probe in the cental pin of the Motherboard power socket and touching the corresponding pin in the diagram on the busboard.

do the same for +12 and +5... you might need to locate some other sources (like the floppy port) as theres a bit of electronics in the waqy that might pull the signal one way or another... so try and find these sources close by (like the floppy port or cpu connector)

This can be quite timc consuming but with about 30 minutes effort my friend, it will give you the assurnace you need to plug it all in and fire it up.

Also it will give you the opportunity to revise the schematic guide for the Z2i systems should that you need to...

best of luck and hit me up on PM if you need help.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

the connector I used in the end was a modified long plug, (cannot remember where i got it from I shall have a think

If I remember correctely then I believe that using the housing of a P8/9 connector didn't work or was too short.... bare with me.... brains a bit slow today.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ Zetr0

Did these busboards originally come with an adapter then?

Kin

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I do not know...

I have only ever owned two of them.... a Z3i and a Z2i (the one above)

unfortunately both I got from fleabay... (one of them came with a micronik chassis but wasn't plugged in and there was no PSU..

It might be wise asking FOL and or AmigaKit if they can help - but in all truth, you could work out the pin-congfig with a multimeter and just have a look for some connectors...

I will see what I can dig up.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@Z: I was almost completely certain that some rewiring had to be done, can't remember where i last read about it. Having found a few hints, see the attached image. Anyone wanna comment?

Attachments

• 1200E.jpg
    1200E.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ Zetr0

Then perhaps the relevant connectors were in the Micronik tower cases when originally shipped?

@ salaxi54

Sorry for the mis-leading reference to this & thanks to Zetr0 for the sound advice as always.

Kin

*edit* From your pic above, it looks like I wasn't as wrong as I thought I had been. That board takes both P8 & P9 connectors. :)

....but I'm still confused. :|

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Kin, that's perfectly alright matey!(y) I won't be doing any connections until i'm sure it's correct. :)
EDIT: The second (righty) part of the picture is taken from elsewhere, just to compare the two. It does not belong to the Micronik documentation.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
^^^^^^

Ahh! & I why I am still confused.

I can only guess the P8 & P9 connectors would plug into the Micronik case wiring, which then would plug into the board. :unsure:

Kin

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
LOL, Well let me put it this way: the busboard has only 8 pins for power.
The P8 & P9 together have 12 pins, 6 on each jack.
The Micronik adapter seems to rewire elements of both P8 & P9 to come up with an 8-pin one.
The graphic part of the picture is taken from the Z3's doc, while the text to the right and low is taken from some pinout site. Comparing the two can give a better idea.. :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
LOL, Well let me put it this way: the busboard has only 8 pins for power.
The P8 & P9 together have 12 pins, 6 on each jack.
The Micronik adapter seems to rewire elements of both P8 & P9 to come up with an 8-pin one.
The graphic part of the picture is taken from the Z3's doc, while the text to the right and low is taken from some pinout site. Comparing the two can give a better idea.. :)

Yep your either going to need to re-wire one yourself or get one made up. Try Amigakit, they were going to do one for me so maybe they've made a start on the research.

Elbox do a similar cable, but its the wrong way round if that make sense:

http://buy.elbox.com/cgibin/shop?info=563INFAT&sid=656360f3

This is what I asked Amigakit to make up:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=459

Hope thats of some help,

Steve.

Edit, the Elbox says its an adapter for using an Infinitive PSU, so they must of had their power adapters on their own PSU's, maybe you can find an Infinitive PSU?

Last edited:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@salaxi54

the image of the board in the picture is a Z3i not the Z2i that you have.

I have just tested the Micronick Connector (as its the same thats on the micronic tower for keyboard and power fly over to the rear motherboard input)

Alas a standard PS8 or P9 adapter, is 2 pins to short, and cannot connect to the socket without heavy modification.

This might sound mad, but the connector used in the rev 1.0 Original XBoxes is the one you are after, I might have a spare, so bare with me...and fingers crossed..

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@Zetr0: Thanks for the offer there mate, jacks ain't my worries.:D It's the pinout that scares me. I could perhaps build some connector up for it. The biggest detail here is the fact that this isn't either a Z2 or a Z3 busboard! Check the link i attached earlier. That's why i'm trying to understand if the power pinout is the same for every MIcronik board, or if each one has its own!
Phew! Confusing, ain't it? :LOL:

Top Bottom