Bush Internet Surf Set Hack

danhans115

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Leeds
I picked up an Bush IBX-250 Internet Box thingy the other weekend from a local car boot sale. Mint condition, boxed.. <snip> for probably less than a pint at your local </snip>

I remembered that they have some cut down version of Riscos on them from seeing one years ago so thought I would have a play.

Ive got most of the needed stuff lying round my office from years gone by (zip100 parallel, discs, ps/2 keyboard, EDO simms, sockets).. everything that is but an actual acorn to make the adfs bootable zip disc with :D - hence my advert in the wanted section.

Heres the mods so far..

Added stacked PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse.

• Broken out the first serial from the SuperIO to the PL1 header at the rear (as seen on another website).
  • Broken out the first serial from the SuperIO to a wire so I can log the keyboard data.
  • 32Mb EDO SIMM
ToDo..

Pickup an old RiscPC or other A7000 machine to get the zip disc made with the correct modules (I have always fancied one anyway and have some space on my desktop :) ). Also need some of the SMD protection diodes to rebuild the PS/2 circuit properly (although the keyboard works without).

Has anyone gone any further than documented on the few remaining websites. ie. is it possible to make a custom replacement ROM with some of the missing modules to get a desktop up and running?

Any help, tips or otherwise would be greatly appriciated.

Dan

[edit]
Hiyas Dan, sorry to have to edit your post, however it may of seen as price driving / guiding, I know you didn't mean it that way so please dont worry, Z

Attachments

• 17082010077.jpg
    17082010077.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 17082010078.jpg
    17082010078.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Elron Nightshade

AmiBayer
Country
Slough, UK
Region
Buckinghamshire
hey, im a huge RISC machine lover. sadly there much less support for these guys than Amigas. post up some pr0n, a few boot screenshots?

surreality

Country
UK
Region
Reading
Also hacking Bush IBX 200, can I pick your brain please?

Also hacking Bush IBX 200, can I pick your brain please?

Hi there Dan,

I'm also an Acorn fan of old and have lots of old RiscOS software including a few bits I wrote. I was mortified to find out that my parents threw out our old A5000 without mentioning it, but I do have an old Bush Internet Surf Set - IBX 200 - and now have the necessary parallel Zip100 drive to get this hacked into a mini A7000...

I have already read everything that I could find on the internet, and am struggling because I don't have access to an Acorn with the necessary ROMS -3.6/3.7 to make the ZIP disk. I'm in touch with a couple of the guys who did this before when they were newer but it's been so long that the discs are corrupted etc... So my first question is, did you get hold of the roms you need and get the thing booted to desktop?

Then - I see you did the PS/2 connector hack - I actually just started this myself but wanted to check with you whether you were able to get it to work, and what other components you added to get it working? A close up photo would be fantastic!

If you have any other info on the board's interfaces and 'missing' components I'd be grateful. I have a BeagleBoard on order, but want to use the Bush to learn more about interfacing with embedded ARM chips and ideally get it into a state where it can be a low-power networked automation controller, programmable in BBC BASIC 5!

I'm taking many photos as I go, and collating some of the existing documentations, so I can put a how-to together on Instructables for this and bring it together...

Cheers,
Alex

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
My friend Yorkie4 picked up an A7000 recently, when gets back from France we have some mischief planed for that little monster.

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
oohhhhh i like the sound of this, which bush box do i need? (snigger)

pah - idiot....i missed that bit Bush IBX-250

Tahoe

Collector Extrodinaire
AmiBayer
Country
The Netherlands
Region
Wilnis
Looking at the pictures you could be fooled in thinking there is a set of 3.1 Kickstart ROM's in that thing!! :)

Nice hacking though!

surreality

Country
UK
Region
Reading
My friend Yorkie4 picked up an A7000 recently, when gets back from France we have some mischief planed for that little monster.
Hi there, I just bought a RiscPC on eBay especially to get the ROM's and format the necessary ZIP disc, but if it doesn't work out could I ask nicely to swap notes on your A7000 based attempts? Cheers, Alex

danhans115

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Leeds
thanks for the PM's surriality.

How rude am I? I never noticed these replies to my thread. Unfortunately for me my notes and the box I had have gone walkies.

So I am going to try an obtain a new box and hopefully either find the zip disk with the data on or undelete my source code and notes so I can hit the ground running again and share what I had done.

Hopefully there will be some updates to this soon from somebody :)

Dan

surreality

Country
UK
Region
Reading
Disc

Disc

Hi Dan,

So I have my zip disc in a good state to get a usable desktop, could send you a copy - insert files from ROM on your RiscPC and away you go!

What it doesn't do is play any games or indeed run many applications at all... most likely missing too many RM's so far... but it would be a good start and I'd appreciate any ideas for making it a more complete RiscPC!

I also had a slightly different take on your PIC method of faking the keyboard press... I discovered that if you ground the video-enable signal line that goes to the video board with the ground pin on the same connector, this forces the box to go straight to Risc OS desktop with no need for the original keyboard.

I also soldered in a PCMCIA header, but sadly if I insert an PC-card, it crashes or won't turn on, looks serious....

Top Bottom