Buying a broken laptop, but can't decide offer?

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
I do hope this by no means count as price driving or anything bad. But I just need pointers.

I'm planning to buy a Acer Timeline 4810t (think it is only t, not tz) from a friend. he paid 6500 NOK for it. The screen have had an accident and needs replacing. I plan to get one and replace it myself. I've seen those computers go for 4-5000 second hand. This particular one is about a half year old. For me parts will be about 1500 NOK. If he is going to do it in service, I'm guessing the price would be around 2-3000 NOK.

What would you think is a suitable offer for the computer?

(10 GBP is about 105 NOK, 10 USD in about 58.40 NOK and remember we have 25% VAT in case someone thinks the price is high)

patience

Frozen
Country
uk
Hello Friend

Not to worry in buy old ones acer laptop. Just see that configuration and get it checked by any computer engineer or any computer shopkeeper. and if you check it your self then just run on your way and see how its running in your hand. because electric gadget has not guaranty whether it is fresh or second.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
Hello Friend

Not to worry in buy old ones acer laptop. Just see that configuration and get it checked by any computer engineer or any computer shopkeeper. and if you check it your self then just run on your way and see how its running in your hand. because electric gadget has not guaranty whether it is fresh or second.

I'm going to do the screen replacement myself, and I'll be running linux. I also doesn't care about the gurantee because it does not cover user errors like the one the current owner have done (broke the screen). So all I need is a pointer on what to offer the poor man. I'm thinking of 1500-2000 NOK, but I'm not sure if that's a bit low, high or just right? (since repair would be around 2-3000, and used price is around 4-5000)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
That would seem a fair price by your calculations. He can only turn you down if he disagrees.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
other way to look at it..

other way to look at it..

I understand why you ask for a fair dealing price, I really like honest people, but to be honest I would turn this case around:

I have a broken laptop (wich I dropped) Oops the screen is broken.. Oops I can't fix it.. Ask for help: (I would give advice and help for free) And yes have it repaired and bills -> the original owner!!!..

But you are taking the risk for a "dead" device..

From a commercial point, I don't like this deal, even if you would pay one cent for it.. If you wan't to solve other people problems do no cure no pay, but you pay to get a problem.. (it is not hard to get, easy to fix, help everywhere, amiga hardware)

Well I hope this advise is given meaning to do some good..It is a little not in line to other posters here:wooha:..

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've an older Acer laptop with a broken 17" screen, but when I looked around it was going to set me back nearly £200 just to buy a replacement panel, then even then there was no guarantee that the display driver hasn't broken instead, or the GPU itself. So I decided it was a false economy and bought a new HP laptop instead. Much nicer and faster than the Acer too.

So really, I'm just warning you to do some research first and make sure you can get a replacement screen panel at a good price and it is worth the risk. Also that it couldn't be anything else wrong causing the display issues.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
So really, I'm just warning you to do some research first and make sure you can get a replacement screen panel at a good price and it is worth the risk. Also that it couldn't be anything else wrong causing the display issues.

I've seen howto-guides on the net on how to exchange the very same panel, and I've got price quotes on the panel itself and the screen works, but looks like a cracked LCD looks. So the only BUT is if I manage to mend it. if not, I've invested in a paperweight.

So I see the ideas about just buying something that works, just this sounds like a sure thing. I'll see if I go low, and see how he reacts. For him the computer is just a waste anyway.

xc8

A>_
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Birmingham
I've an older Acer laptop with a broken 17" screen, but when I looked around it was going to set me back nearly £200 ....

£200? Two months ago, I repaired a friend's laptop, I got the 17' screen from ebay (brand new and the seller was very pro) just £90..

Chris

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
All depends on the model. The older you go the rarer and more expensive the panel will be to find.

Lechuck

Country
Greece
Region
Athens
Acer? Oh god no , I wouldn't take it even if I got it for free...

I really hate Acer Laptops..I think it is the worst brand ever..

Top Bottom