C64 goodness

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
well, thanks to my good friend gazcbm, i'm now the proud owner of a fully working c64(y)

so what can i do to it to improve it? (ideas must be cheep for now;))

cheers, JuvUK

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
JiffyDOS makes the disk faster, and believe me, you want the disk faster - thanks to a combination of chip-manufacturing errors and an over-commitment to backwards-compatibility, the C64 is stuck with the VIC-20's slow-ass serial protocol, so using a stock 64 with a stock 1541 is not a particularily pleasant experience. You have to upgrade both the computer and the drive, but it's still well worth the investment.

On the disk-drive note, a 1581 3.5" floppy drive is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Not only does it hold 4.7x the amount of data that a 1541 floppy does, it can read 720KB FAT-format floppy disks, with the proper software. This makes copying files from PC to 64 a breeze :)

Also, depending on what you're going to be using this for, a Commodore Ram Expansion Unit (REU, in the lingo) is a nice thing to have. For any programming or power-user tasks, it's something of a must-have; any of the three models would be good, but the 1750 (512KB unit) is the best.

A mouse might also be nice; don't get the C= 1350, though, it's just a glorified joystick. The 1351 or the CMD SmartMouse are nice choices.

Last edited:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ JuvUK

If I were you, I'd get hold of an XA1541 or XE1541 adapter along with a serial cable and use your PC to send games to the C64 via the parallel port of your PC, with a program like Star Commander. Your PC works just like a massive 1541 drive, only a lot faster. Peter Schepers is the man for these cables and some adapters are available on t'other Bay.

Then maybe drop a PM to one or two people that *may* just have a large collection of C64 software, if you follow me....;)

By the way, is your a 'Breadbin' original 64 or the 64C model?

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I hate to disagree with everyone, but I have to disagree on a few points here. :) If you are not on a budget and want near 100% 1541 drive compatibility then you need a 1541U or 1541U-II. He's in between production cycles at the moment so it may be easier to find a used 1541U model 1 from someone.

If you want to spend less but still get good compatibility then I would suggest two products from Jim Brain's store, the uIEC and JiffyDOS. Jim is the only legal distributor of new JiffyDOS chips and the uIEC works with JiffyDOS for speedy loading. The uIEC takes SD cards. Simply copy your disk images, programs, etc onto a card and easily work with them on your real C64.

Another essential item for me is Jim's X-Pander 3 cartridge switch that allows you to plug in up to 3 cartridges and easily switch between them.

There are other great products for the C64 as well, such as the EasyFlash, 64NIC+, etc. Just Google them and you'll find lots of information on them.

Let me know if you have specific questions. I'll be very happy to help out.

Heather

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I don't see much disagreament, only different way of looking at things, I would have bought the Ultimate device myself if it would have a buy it now option without delay, I know it gets delivered, but are a little sceptic about spending on material that needs to be paid first then produced, although I did not hear any complaints at all.

I suggested jiffydos because most people can find a 1541 drive for 1/5 of the suggested amount of cash meaning the emulated ones are much more expensive. At least looking from where I am located!

If you doubt the statement how does 15 eu + shipping sound :D?

But if you have to source it + shipping it might be a different case, then the ultimate etc will prove a light solution to ship!

The link to the 3x boot rom I provided contains a LEGAL rom image from Jbrain. So the adapter is 100% legal and adds autoboot feature.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i heard a rumour that there is an SD card reader thing that is very basic but reads D64 images for around the £20 mark, now as i only intend to play some old classic games this would suit my needs perfectly. does such a thing exist?
i really don't need the £130 all singing all dancing ethernet version

ta, JuvUK

Retrograde

Country
Gothenburg, Sweden
Region
Vastra Gotaland
I like the old Action Replay carts, got an AR VI myself. The two major things they have is turbo loader (some 10-15x faster than stock 1541) (even 25x if you use it's custom file format/layout, but then disks/files aren't so portable) and a reset button. =)
There's a built in monitor/sprite viewer/hacker if you want that too.
Fastloader works with 95% of software I reckon, at least all the old, single-load games, multi-load not always (my collection seems to be centered around the earlier releases). Most demos too, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you can source an AR IV, V or VI for a decent price (afaik. they all have the "modern" turbo loader) you have a useful little device.

Then I use an Xx1541-cable to transfer images between PC and 1541 drive.

It's not the most modern or convenient in all ways, but very compatible with most software, and you can disable it if need be for the really troublesome ones with a keypress. Plus it's the way I used my C64 rig back when, so I know all it's menus and quirks, can probably use the system in my sleep. :p

My 2c.

<3 <3

Last edited:

MagerValp

Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg
i heard a rumour that there is an SD card reader thing that is very basic but reads D64 images for around the £20 mark, now as i only intend to play some old classic games this would suit my needs perfectly. does such a thing exist?
i really don't need the £130 all singing all dancing ethernet version

ta, JuvUK

There's no magic bullet here: the cheap devices are not compatible with games and demos that use a custom loader (I.e. 90% of all d64s). Only a small amount of fixed games work (though typically the most popular ones). The 1541Ultimate is the only device that's anywhere near compatible with all games.The 1541 is a complex beast and cloning it is expensive.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i heard from a good source that only games and demos that were spread over multiple disks suffered, but 90% of what can be run, runs well on either [FONT=&quot]SD2IEC or UEIC/SD cards

[/FONT]

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
The SD2IEC and uIEC/SD can use multi-disk games. You need to create a text file in the same folder as a multi-disk game that contains all the disk names. The uIEC then uses that list in conjunction with the Next and Previous buttons on the uIEC. If you are on disk one and need to get to disk 3, you press the Next button twice. :)

Of course, you have to keep track of which disk you are on and know how many disks are in the set, but it works well. The only games that usually don't work are ones with built-in fast-load routines. It really is the best, inexpensive solution around. :)

I guess I wasn't disagreeing with others earlier, as jvdbossc said. :) The other great thing about the uIEC is it can also be used on the VIC-20, C16 and I think the Plus/4.

Heather

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
ok so, so far so good, thanks Heather you little beauty you:)

so where do i get one of them there whojamaflips at a sensible price?

MagerValp

Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
You can get one directly from the source. Jim Brain builds these and sells them. :) Just make sure you get the one with the Daughtercard. :)

http://www.jbrain.net/products/uIEC{47}SD.html

The device gets its power from the cassette port of the C64. Let me know when you receive it and I'll forward on some good web sites to you. You can also use this device to copy D64 images and programs to real floppy disks. This allows you to copy games that won't play from the uIEC to real disks to play on a 1541. :D

Make sure you also get either JiffyDOS or a cartridge that has a DOS wedge in it. Working without a DOS wedge is a pain. You can also get a software DOS wedge for free that you simply load from the uIEC. There's also a great software program that will let you browse the SD card via menus.

I'll be happy to help you with any of this stuff once you get your device.

Heather

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
@Heather,

Have you come across this Heather http://www.ide64.org/ as I was looking into it as an option to get a C64c and use this as the storage medium? Just looking for your opinion between this and the one you recommended. I won't be using anything other than a C64 so for me this was an option but as always - more than happy for advice - especially when these things are quite "cash intensive"

Cheers

John

gazcbm

10 PRINT "8 Bit Hero"
Country
UK
Region
Manchester, UK
Once you have an SD capability you can re-flash that "easyflash" cartridge I loaned ya with the games of your choosing. (y)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
@Skilgannon

I've never actually used the IDE64 but did at one point think about getting one. The only problem I see with it is that you need to use a hard drive or CD-ROM drive with it. I prefer the SD card solution because you can hot swap SD cards and easily plug them into your PC.

IDE64 can use:

• IDE Hard Drive
  • IDE CD-ROM Drive
  • CompactFlash Cards
uIEC/SD can use:

• Hot Swappable SD Cards
uIEC/IDE + CF can use:

• IDE Hard Drive
  • CompactFlash Cards
I'm sure the IDE64 had some other qualities that I'm not aware of, but I prefer the simple, compact SD card solution. Plus the uIEC/SD costs about half of what the IDE64 does and the uIEC/SD firmware is still has regular firmware updates released (I'm not sure about the IDE64 firmware).

Hope that helps. :)

Heather

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

Just a quick note about all these solutions. They all have just about the same compatibility, meaning games that run on one will run on the others. Games that do not run on one will most likely not run on the others. The only device that has better compatibility are the 1541U and 1541U-II devices.

Heather

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
The daughter card contains the plug for the IEC cable, the power cable and the three buttons (Forwards, Backwards and something else) for the uIEC/SD. It's the piece on the right of this image:

IMG_7652_small__21779_std.JPG

The uIEC without the daughter card can be mounted inside a system and wired directly to the motherboard. The daughter card is pretty much necessary if you are using the device externally.

Hope that helps!

Heather

Top Bottom