C64 I am sad and a little mad

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
This could go to the amirant section - but I'd like some advice as well.

Well I think I had about 15 unit's c64 bought together with other amiga stuff, I manged to sell 3 brown unit one white unit, all the rest is broken.

Yesterday I took one of my own previous stocked units, it went bad overnight. (white one with older mobo) ON A GOOD C128 PSU S*** F**** P**** S*****

Today I manged to restore a mobo with that comibined chip, by cleaning it upsoldering one connector and using electronic spray on the connectors.

Am I expecting to much, I have at my parents home at least 10 brown units broken as well. Is this normal?:nuts: I bought 2 years ago a brown unit, working maybe I hooked it up 10 times, broken .. Should I start looking for the latest mobo revisions to be sure to enjoy a C64 in 2020?

I do nothing special, I even don't pull devices when it's on!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Not for the human eye - no swellings - no fluid - various problems, my brown one had charachters dancing, the one yesterday gave a black screen after using it very long.

I don't hink caps go bad on them.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Tough luck Jv, it happens to all of us (at a lesser or more percentage) from times to times.. I personally don't think it's a matter of revisions etc.
There's machines older than your C64s still running..
Cheer up! (y)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Thanks, let's hope it is just bad luck with those units.:nod: I see lot's of them here on the bay passing - so I am really curious it's just me..:nod:

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Flickering image is related with large capacitors failure. Check the power supply.

Also, the older C64 requires ~12V on the AC circuit instead the "normal" ~9V from C128.

kokkiklhs

Country
Greece
Region
Piraeus
This could go to the amirant section - but I'd like some advice as well.

Well I think I had about 15 unit's c64 bought together with other amiga stuff, I manged to sell 3 brown unit one white unit, all the rest is broken.

Yesterday I took one of my own previous stocked units, it went bad overnight. (white one with older mobo) ON A GOOD C128 PSU S*** F**** P**** S*****

Today I manged to restore a mobo with that comibined chip, by cleaning it upsoldering one connector and using electronic spray on the connectors.

Am I expecting to much, I have at my parents home at least 10 brown units broken as well. Is this normal?:nuts: I bought 2 years ago a brown unit, working maybe I hooked it up 10 times, broken .. Should I start looking for the latest mobo revisions to be sure to enjoy a C64 in 2020?

I do nothing special, I even don't pull devices when it's on!

If I understood correctly, you use C128 PSU to power up C64s? :unsure:
AFAIR the C64 PSU gives 9V & 5V, but the C128 PSU gives 12V and 5V...
If you do so, it is not a surprise to get fried C64s after a little time, as a result..
Another thing to check on the brown (breadbox) c64s, (if you use proper C64 PSU) is faulty RAM chips! This was the most common problem with them! Try piggy-backing randomly some good 4264s and see what happens! If you get some of them to work, you can then replace the chips or just solder them over the faulty ones!!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Rkauer,

This is complete new information to me - I think it is region specific, I have no rated 12 V AC units.:eek:

This is the PSU using these day's:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=9060

It gives 5.0X stable! A stock C64 Psu goes to 5.4X ..

I have one C64 psu already in use for about the last 10 years for a doorbell, parlefone, and door - opener in an appartment.
(using the 5V for the 6V - the 9AC messured 10.X for the 12V) It saved me about 80 euro's that one. It stays stable but gives more voltage even when load

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

to Koki***

Well the ram chips might be a good idea, I'll desolder a few and have a look, I already found some manuals suggesting to feal the heat on them.

I think you are not right on the voltage http://www.hardwarebook.info/C128_Power_Supply I really labeled my wires and messured the voltage https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=9060, besides then it would killed just one unit..

Top Bottom