C64 yes, Amiga 500 no???

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
OK, I know you can kind of do it, if you find or make a Zorro II adapter and get a Zorro II ethernet card..

But, for $75 (USD) shipping included, I can get an ethernet card for my C64. (Which is very kool!!)

But for my Amiga 500?? I hear, oh, you don't want to do ethernet on it. It's too slow.. You need a HD, etc etc...
:censored: :banghead: :cry: :cry: :wooha:

desiv

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Re: C64 yes, Amiga 500 no???

I know the feeling, mate.

But in one thing people are right: what use you have for ethernet without a "competent" (= more than a few diskettes) mass storage device in the computer?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@desiv

There exists an order of procurement that has stood the stand of time, probably as far back as when humans were little more than monkeys =D

1. Mass Storage (harddrive)
2. Fast Ram
3. Network*

*technically speaking an Amiga already has a fully functional networking ports, both Parallel and Serial, there exists many programs on the Amiga to use these, ParNet and SerNet come to mind. not to mention a plethora of modem drivers, some ISP's provide free modem dialup (mine does =))

But going back to a local network, if go and have a moment with aminet you will find oodles of SerNet / ParNet setups, one I particularly recomend to have a look at is Hombre, this will give you much needed network facility as well as suite of programs for use with a PC via Serial network all on one disk =).

now stop frying your brain on "to-many-which-do-i-do-first-option" go get a Hard disk solution, once you have that the rest will be easy =)

T_Hairy_Bootson

Workbitch 1.3
Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne

The reason is simple really. There are updated amigas that can do it cheaper than $75 dollars so why bother doing it for the a500. If the c64 had a popular updated version with some kind of card interface or pcmcia you really think people would bother making ethernet hardware for the base model?

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon

All good points.

Yet, this is my rant. :woot:
I have an A500 with no HD, so I wish to complain!!! :nuts: :censored: :laugh:

Actually, I don't think the "no HD' is a totally valid reason.
Yes, it's much better with a HD. But, back in the day, I spent LOTS of time online (modem, shell account, zmodem transfers, etc..) downloading files (aminet and Fish stuff). And what's good serial would be better ethernet.
Also, I'm transferring adf's using serial now and it works, but it's slow. That would be much nicer via ethernet.

True, a newer system is probably the answer, but that doesn't mean some hardware developer shouldn't waste his time building an ethernet card for the A500! It's what the internet is about!!!

Imagine the Youtube video!!! "Here's my Amiga 500 browsing the inernet (using lynx) from floppies and my homemade ethernet card." You'd get 10's of hits!!!! :?

:) :)
desiv

Actually, an IDE68K inside the 500 with a CF card and a sidecard ethernet card would be pretty neat.
Not sure how best to handle extra RAM tho. Running out of ports... :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Ask SkyDivingGirl (Heather), she uses a parallel (or it was serial?) -to-wireless device to connect to her broadband modem! :drool:

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon

rkauer said:
Ask SkyDivingGirl (Heather), she uses a parallel (or it was serial?) -to-wireless device to connect to her broadband modem!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

p.s.
Zetr0 said:
now stop frying your brain on "to-many-which-do-i-do-first-option" go get a Hard disk solution, once you have that the rest will be easy =)

Too late.. I think the brain fried when I gave up my 1200 for a Winderz 386 box... Trying to rewire some of the old brain connections now to what they should be... :nod:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Well, if it's help and hackery for the Miggy you are after, this is one of the places to be.... :nod:

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon

Been thinking about this over lunch.
I bet it's Serial Bluetooth...
A Bluetooth serial adapter on the Amiga should work fine, and a bluetooth USB adapter on my Linux box should work, then I can set up SLIP to work for IP.

I was actually considering running a long serial cable, but never considered bluetooth..
(Must be the telcom history... ;-) )

Of course, my current Amiga <> PC is serial null, but it only works up to 19200. Even with the Baudbandit.device. Although that could be my REALLY REALLY OLD USB Serial adapter on my Laptop.
WinUAE doesn't even recognize it as a serial port. (Well, the old version saw it, but wouldn't let me use it. I upgraded WinUAE and it doesn't even see it. :) ) ADFSender works tho.

I spent a lot of time doing serial, back to the 300 baud days, so I don't think 19,200 is that bad really, but faster would always be better. ;-)

So, how important is memory then?

Say I get a HD, but it doesn't have an option for more memory and then I can go serial SLIP for networking.

Would a 1M 500 let me do enough? I don't seem to remember it being a problem, but I don't actually remember how much I was doing before going to the 1200 with 2G.
My memory is a bit rusty as far as how much I did with my 500 and how much was my 1200... :?

If I will be "needing" more memory, I'm guessing that an Amiga external HD WITH memory will probably cost more than a 1200. (I can get a 1200 new(ish - refurb with warranty) for $145 or so from Amigakit, although PAL) Unless I can find someone who got an IDE68k and is looking to get rid of their external....

Hmmm

desiv

Funny thing is, I am actually very level headed and calm and methodical at work. It's just my own stuff I'm impulsive.. Oh well... :) :nuts: :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Grab a small external memory upgrade if you can! They are cheap and do wonders for your A500! :nod:

Even a 2Mb expansion like a SupraRAM is highly desirable (I have one and my A500 simply fly with it attached). :inlove:

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

You could always take your A500 to the exteme (ish) like I have done.
I have 1.5MB under the trapdoor (bringing it up to 2MB) and another 4MB in my GVP HD8+ sidecar as well as a 40MB hard drive. That'll make your A500 fly.

If only I could find a GVP A530 anywhere !?!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Put an Advert up Woody. You never know. ;)

gvpa530_1_big.jpg

Pic from BBoAH

Kin

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Kin Hell said:
Put an Advert up Woody. You never know. ;)

gvpa530_1_big.jpg

Pic from BBoAH

Kin
Can't afford one at the moment, but when I can, an ad will be placed on here.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

The A530. I've wanted one of those ever since they came out. Great piece of kit. Quite rare now though. Definitely one of the best upgrades for any A500.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

rkauer said:
Ask SkyDivingGirl (Heather), she uses a parallel (or it was serial?) -to-wireless device to connect to her broadband modem! :drool:
I actually haven't tried getting online with my Amiga using this method, but my C64 works great! The device has a modem emulation mode to connect to IP addresses instead of dialing out. Alas, the cost of the device is usually over $100 so it's not very economical. I was lucky to get mine for much less.

Heather

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Heather, can you tell us again what is the device's name? :Doh:

Creative minds wants to know... :thanks:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

It's a Lantronix UDS1100. They really are neat devices. I used one here at work to connect our serial based time clock to the network. Just install a virtual serial port on your computer that points to the device's IP address and you connect through the network as if you were connected through serial.

Of course, the modem emulation is the best part for use in retro computing. :wink:

Heather

Top Bottom