Call this a rant forum?Putty Squad inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_s

decrunching
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I see no one has ranted about System3 not releasing Putty Squad on the Amiga...

so let this be THE rant!

Come on System3 for the love of god! :D

Paul_s

decrunching
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Who fancies a rally outside System3's HQs? We can dress someone up (from here) as a Putty?

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
- A number of magazines reviewed Putty Squad. Does this mean that a full version exists?

Nick Lee: Erm, possibly. It's probably lost now though... Mags also have a habit of saying they've reviewed a full copy when it's sadly not true ;)

More of the review and info HERE.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Who fancies a rally outside System3's HQs? We can dress someone up (from here) as a Putty?

^^^^
Nicely volunteered there, Paul_s!!

Edit: I have just posted the comments in blue in the 'Contact Us' on the System 3 website.....I noticed that they posted the original score given by three Amiga magazines to the game and they are rubbing salt into the wounds somewhat....I couldn't resist the bait......

Regarding the old chestnut Putty Squad for the Amiga. Do you realise that you have wound up the Amiga community, by posting comments like the original game scores posted by three Amiga magazines, which is somewhat ironic, since the game was never released and by some reports, never completed for the Amiga... We would be interested in your comments about this. We would enjoy it, if we had actually had the chance to play it originally.

The reply should be entertaining, if we actually get one......

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
OK ranters, I got a reply back from System 3 as below from Chandra (chandra @ system3.com). Here's what I got.......

Hi there. Thanks for your email.
I'm not really sure I understand why the Amiga community is wound up.

A long time ago we made a game. It was finished. It went out for review.
It was reviewed.
The Amiga market was rapidly dying but nobody could predict that it would disappear so quickly.
We didn't release it because it would've been commercial suicide. The market changed. That's not our fault; we simply have to react to it.

Now we're re-releasing it for viable platforms in an enhanced fashion.
It's the same core game so naturally it's relevant to use game critics'
scores to promote it. Their reviews are as relevant now as they were then.

I really don't understand why it would be such as big deal for Amiga owners to spend a few pennies on an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/PSP/PS3 version of the game.
The reality is that things move on and this what we're doing now.

It's entirely possible that one day we'll release the code for Amiga owners but right now our priority lies with finishing the HD version of the game.

Best wishes,

Chandra

I won't post my comments about her reply...

Please feel free to contact Chandra at System 3 and to set her straight, as to exactly why she should understand that the Amiga community is more than a bit :censored: off about this, particularly as her reply is so dismissive in it's tone with comments like "It was finished" - that is certainly news to us and EAB..... I guess she wasn't there at System 3 at the time..... I do hope that she is wearing Nomex underwear, though......:flamethrower:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
/me hides under the table as the masses converge for a System3 lynching

If everyone in the community banded together and sent emails to them to show the game IS wanted for the Amiga, perhaps they will see the error of their ways and allow a copy for download

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
If everyone in the community banded together and sent emails to them to show the game IS wanted for the Amiga, perhaps they will see the error of their ways and allow a copy for download

Well, we have the neck end of 3000 members on here alone.....a lot of whom are Amiga owners....

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
thanks for posteing her email add

a few pennies on an iphone game indeed grrrrrrrrr

now lets all email her/him/twit

Paul_s

decrunching
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
OK ranters, I got a reply back from System 3 as below from Chandra (chandra @ system3.com). Here's what I got.......

I'm not really sure I understand why the Amiga community is wound up.

A long time ago we made a game. It was finished. It went out for review.
It was reviewed.
The Amiga market was rapidly dying but nobody could predict that it would disappear so quickly.
We didn't release it because it would've been commercial suicide. The market changed. That's not our fault; we simply have to react to it.

Now we're re-releasing it for viable platforms in an enhanced fashion.
It's the same core game so naturally it's relevant to use game critics'
scores to promote it. Their reviews are as relevant now as they were then.

I really don't understand why it would be such as big deal for Amiga owners to spend a few pennies on an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/PSP/PS3 version of the game.
The reality is that things move on and this what we're doing now.

It's entirely possible that one day we'll release the code for Amiga owners but right now our priority lies with finishing the HD version of the game.

Best wishes,

Chandra

I won't post my comments about her reply...

Please feel free to contact Chandra at System 3 and to set her straight, as to exactly why she should understand that the Amiga community is more than a bit :censored: off about this, particularly as her reply is so dismissive in it's tone with comments like "It was finished" - that is certainly news to us and EAB..... I guess she wasn't there at System 3 at the time..... I do hope that she is wearing Nomex underwear, though......:flamethrower:

I have mailed them previous to this but got a much nicer reply :wooha:

Chandra actually used to own an Amiga all those years ago and we had a brief chat about the old days.

Shame really, I know things have to move on but the old stuff is always a nice place to go back to and the community is still quite large/viable to pay off any costs.

I don't want a Wii, PS3, iPhone etc they are boring!

Oh well :(

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
my emails from her, out of order that is last first first last

To: thepond911

It all depends on how well Putty is received to be honest with you

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 04:50:18 -0600
To: Chandra Nair
Subject: RE:

you say that its "possible that we would release the Amiga code"
but is it probable ??

typical sony and mac formats I don`t own any of there hardware

any way thanks for your response, have a good day and ribbit once in a while
I find it helps me greatly

cosmic

ps
for your reading pleasure
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=11820&page=10

To: thepond911
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 03:49:28 -0600
Subject: Re:

Hi there. The game is being released on iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/PS3/PSP/PSN and potentially other formats.
I never said he should buy an iPhone and buy the game for that.

I said that it was possible that we would release the Amiga code but that the current formats are a priority.

Best wishes,

Chandra

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:38:10 -0600
To: Chandra Nair

Merlin sent u an email about not releasing Putty Squad on the Amiga
and u basically blew him off by saying we should all have iphones and buy the game for that

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

so if the game is written/finished why not release it as a good will/ marketing gesture ??

LOL

cosmic frog

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
OK, let's try a more friendly approach than she used with us and talk the language they understand ; MONEY....

Hi Chandra, thanks for the reply. The part the Amiga community is hacked off about is that so much was promised about this game, yet nothing came of it. Also, a lot of us retro gamers still have perfectly good Amiga hardware capable of running the game, so we feel no need to spend hundreds of pounds on an iPhone or PSP.

Don't get me wrong, we don't expect a freebie; if the Amiga version was made available as a download ADF image from the System 3 site, I am sure that the retro community would be prepared to pay for it. You still get the revenue, all we are asking for is a different method to deliver the game; is that too much to ask?

Regards,
Dave (Merlin)

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Another reply from Chandra......

Hi.

Well, I'm afraid there's little I can do to answer for things that were said a long time ago.
I honestly don't know what promises were made back in the Amiga days as I, like most of the staff here, have only been here a few years.

It's not about the money with the Amiga version, and it's not about whether we charge for it or not, merely that we're a small team and we are constantly up against it. We have priorities and we stick to them.
Putty Squad on mainstream formats could see a revival of Putty and a significant success for us and as such, it is our No 1 priority. We are a business after all.
Once we're able to successfully launched these versions, we will hopefully have the time and resources to sit down and think about projects that we do for fun rather than financial gains. . . the Amiga version of PS as well as dozens of other games that people constantly ask us to release.

Best wishes,

Chandra

Well, it's not a "No", and it's not a "Yes" either. To be frank, it all reads a bit like "Jam tomorrow", spin doctoring and a lot like the old "Moon Rock" marketing story, that goes something like this:-

Marketing: Let's build the Queen Mary, go to the Moon and let's see if we can sell some Moon rock.

Operations: Is there a market for Moon rock?

Marketing: We're not certain, but we're pretty sure there will be, when we get some.

Operations: OK then... we're not entirely happy about this though....

(time passes.....)

The Queen Mary looks resplendent on the launch pad, with gleaming booster rockets and shiny paint, with camera crews from all over the World lined up for the launch, when a junior member of the team looks at the launch pad and says

"Hang on a minute! the Queen Mary is a ship..."

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
I sent a mail too, i'd love to see Putty Squad released somehow. Last time I did something like this was back in 1998 :) I sent letters to Eidos and Psygnosis asking them to release Tomb Raider and Wipeout on Amiga. I still have the official letter headed replies I received somewhere saying NO! in so many nice words heheh! Funnily enough a year later Digital Images got the rights to Wipeout 2097! If you try hard enough you get what you want ;)

Anyway, my mail is thus: -

"Hi there!

I noticed you will be releasing Putty Squad on PS3! This is great news! I love Putty AGA on my Amiga 1200 and still play it to this day. I look forward to the (imminent?) release of Putty Squad on PSN and will buy it as soon as it appears. Any more classics appearing on PSN / iOS in the future? re-releasing some of your back catalogue as HD revamps would be awesome! (IK+, Myth and Last Ninja 3 would be my first picks!) I am also currently enjoying playing Ferrari The Race Experience which I bought last month, But although I enjoy the lastest games, I also love playing older games.

What would be great too is if you release this for Amiga! It such a shame it was completed and never released. I understand the climate was volatile back in 1995, but now, given that the game code has been left dormant for so long, its costs of development are no longer needed in revenue I would guess? Its a real gem that would make lots of Amiga users still active to this day very happy! If you ever decide to release the original Putty Squad on the Amiga 1200 in the near future I will buy that too as it was one of those games that had immense hype in the day and I still would love to play it on my still running A1200. Releasing it to buy in a digital ADF form on your website one day would be perfect, I'd pay North of 10 quid for it too! you'd be surprised how many sales you'd get of this game on Amiga ;)

Kind Regards

Les (Phipscube on Amibay)"

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
Wow, quick reply, here it is: -

"
Hi there. Thanks for the email and the kind words.

Well, first up our priority is Putty Squad and depending on how that works out we could look at some other games. But we really have to see how well PS does first.
We know there is a group of people who know and love Putty, and they will almost certainly buy the game, but in the grand scheme of things we need the game to sell to A LOT more people than that for it to be deemed a success!

The Amiga release is more about time and resources than anything else.
Yes, the game was finished but it still takes time to get these things in motion and there are lots of other games from our past that people are always asking us to release for Amiga/C64/Atari emulators. We don't have the time to do everything we want to do and for now, the HD version of PS is our priority.

:)

Best wishes,

Chandra"

Same thing really, but the more requests they get ,the better it is for a release one day :)

I replied back: -

"Hi Chandra

Thanks for the reply, and I look forward to playing Putty Squad again on PS3 at least for now :) Please also consider releasing some more of your Classics in HD if Putty Squad does well! And if you do get chance one day, it would be great to see Putty Squad on Amiga.

Thanks for your time, and good luck for the future :)

Kind Regards

Les"

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Well I got a reply to my email also.

Yes, I think every single member of the Amiga community has been onto us
about it ;)

It's something we would like to do but it takes more time than you might
think to get it organised.
Our priority right now is the HD version on iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/PSP/PS3
but once that is finished we'll have some time to look at a possible Amiga
release.

Best wishes,

Chandra

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
From reading this thread, it sounds like a logistics issue to me. Lets say the game itself work perfectly, so just need to print off some instructions, make a copy of the disk, put it in a box and post it. Now repeat that 1000 times, not so easy now is it. Plus you have to track orders, take payments and answer questions.

I'd also suspect Sony have sucked up some of their money for the PSP/PS3 distribution. But at least they and Apple's App store take care of most of the selling/distribution hassles.

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
From reading this thread, it sounds like a logistics issue to me. Lets say the game itself work perfectly, so just need to print off some instructions, make a copy of the disk, put it in a box and post it. Now repeat that 1000 times, not so easy now is it. Plus you have to track orders, take payments and answer questions.

I'd also suspect Sony have sucked up some of their money for the PSP/PS3 distribution. But at least they and Apple's App store take care of most of the selling/distribution hassles.

Not really because they could just sell the game as an ADF on their website. I know i'd be happy with that. I'm not bothered about getting instructions and a box although that would be quite cozy :)

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
They could just as easily donate the ADF's to the Amiga community but that doesn't look like happening either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom