Can someone identify this expansion for me please?

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
I just bought some Amiga's in a job lot and the A500 boots to a green screen with the red power led flashing (NES style! lol). Any way I read this could be chip ram related so I opened it up and tried pushing down all the IC's but still the same problem. Also there is this odd looking expansion which I thought was just a trapdoor expansion until I got the shielding off and I am not familiar with this, could this be causing the green boot screen if it has a problem?

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
is it an A500+ ? .....

check for battery damage if it is.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
No Mike mate it's an A500. Cheers for the info Roy, gonna try taking it out in a minute will report back.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
No difference with it taken out, still green screens and power led flashes. Wish I was more technical in fixing these things. Is the 4mb expansion a hard to find board? and what memory config would I have once it's working in a machine properly? would it impact game compatibility do you think?

Last edited:

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
yes its a 4mb ram add on and only early games should have an issue with it. later one will have additional features 1mb+

if you have a green screen , check the Angus and the on board ram for damage. the green screen is usually the fate of A500+ machines with battery damage that eats the chipram tracks and nearby sockets.

try cleaning / removing all the chips and make sure the contacts are clean.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
if you have more than one of these amigas you could try swapping the agnus and gary between machines.dont worry about that ram card at the mo.

youll need a plcc puller for agnus though dont do it with a screwdriver.just dont swap agnus with one from a 500+ there not the same although gary is.
try to do swaps with a machine of same motherboard.

if the sockets are bad,it wont matter if you swap a good one in itll still green screen.

youll probably have to check the solder joints under the motherboard as well,seen a few that bad/dry solder joints on the power connector.

Last edited:

ej2095

Country
UK
Region
Tipton, West Midlands
Removed my 500+ battery the weekend it had started to leake, cleaned up the board and was good to go

Top Bottom