Status
Not open for further replies.

morcar

Banned
Country
UK
Region
Wales, UK
Just wanted the experts advice on the amiga i should be having with in 2 weeks so here goes.

Amiga 1200
Kickstart 3.1 running OS 3.9
8Mb Ram Expansion with Motorola MC68882 FPU & 33.33MHz crystal
7GB 2.5" internal hard drive
Amitec external disk drive
PCMCIA Compact flash card adaptor with 16Mb & 1Gb Cards
Philips CM8833 MKII monitor with built in stereo speakers
Competition Pro CD32 gaming pad

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Thats a nice capable system you have there, but what is it you want to do with it?
The addition of a network card, wired or wireless, may be useful for Network type fun.
Maybe an external CDROM? but this is all subjective really.
If you just want to play AGA games and nothing else then any further upgrades would be pointless.
Have fun regardless. :)

morcar

Banned
Country
UK
Region
Wales, UK
Well games is one thing i wanted to do but also the everyday things like burn cd/dvd, play divx and other format videos, Browse the net, download from torrents and such.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@morcar

An 8MB Amiga A1200 is a capable platform for :-

• Games playing[/*:m:31k25l3c]
  • Art work (including limited ray-tracing)[/*:m:31k25l3c]
  • Entry level software development[/*:m:31k25l3c]

Burning Media

With the correct software and large hard disk you could burn CD's, although slowly, and with enough hard drive space DVD's although i know of no software that will do this on an Amiga.

DivX and Video decoding / encoding

Okay, love the Amiga bu this never going to happen, even an 060 equipped Amiga struggles to play a limmited mpeg 2 stream, so DivX is a no-no.

Torrent Downloading

hmmm I don't know of any Amiga client, but that shouldn't stop anyone from compiling one from sourceforge. I am not sure of the resources need for torrents (in regards to processing) so this may or may not be feasible.

Net Browsing

Oh dear.... now the best you can hope for is a wap environment to be even remotely usable. IBrowse and AWeb are the best you can get... however on the above platform it would be hair wrenching at best!

For really surfing the web on an Amiga, you need a PPC based browser. i know of none to be honest. (thats not to say they don't exist)

I have tried net-browsing using an 060 with 64MB of ram with a Cybervison 643D Mk2 4mb gfx card, and it is absolutely woeful.

this should not deter anyone from trying though. you will need a network card for your Amiga, unless you plan to go dial-up. for the network card you will need a 16bit PCMCIA card, theres plenty on Aminet to help with this, including drivers.

morcar

Banned
Country
UK
Region
Wales, UK
cheers for letting me know i do know there are a few torrent programs on the amiga as i have searched on aminet. One is called Ctorrent and you can get a gui for it. I have not tried it yet but once i get my gear i will have a go and give you a little review if you like.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
indeed, i would love a little review of Torrenting on the Amiga, sounds great!

morcar

Banned
Country
UK
Region
Wales, UK
no problem with that, i have to say i really want this forum to be the main port of call if you want to buy anything amiga. I think its a very good idea to keep the amiga community together when looking for amiga stuff.

Fingers crossed we can all pull together and get this motoring.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Well, that's the intention, you just can't do that in 5 minutes though...

Time will tell.

Merlin

morcar

Banned
Country
UK
Region
Wales, UK
anything i can do let me know ... cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom