Catweasel Mk4 and SID chips

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales
Hi,

Is anybody on here using a catweasel mk4 with SID chips?

I've having loads of problems getting things working. I have three C64c's that work fine - play sound etc. I also have one Old style C64 that is "spares and repairs", using the 6581 chip.

I installed the 6581 in the 1st socket (U9, nearest edge of card) - and nothing was detected on boot. CW_Config reported no SIDs installed. Thought "oh well, looks like it's duff"... so put an 8580 from one the the C64c in the other same socket - and still nothing. (yes, changed the jumper settings to match the chips as detailed in the manual each time). Chips were getting warm so obviously getting power.

Put the 6581 in 2nd socket - and was prompted for a driver for the 6581 on reboot. Woohoo!!! Still no 8580 though. :(

Started to think that the 1st socket looks faulty. Tried the 8580 on its own in socket 2 - nothing.

Put the 6581 into socket 1 - and it was detected...??!?!? Dissappeared again after a couple of reboots though - but came back after it was moved back to socket 2.

Basically, after lots of fidding the results are this :-

- Tried two different 8580 chips, and in both sockets, but never detected. (yes changed jumpers appropriately). They work fine when put back into the C64c's.

- 6581 detection seems hit and miss - but then it's out of a broken C64 so may be faulty anyway. Seems to work best when in socket 2.

Ok - so best case is I have a working 6581 which is showing in CW_Config and a driver/device is listed in windows. Tried playing a sid tune - no apps on driver cd. What do you use to play files? Tried a hard sid plug in for winamp - I get a click etc from the sound channel when I change settings like sid channnel, but otherwise no sound output at all.

All the other apps I've tried generally say "no hardware detected" - but then they say they work with hard sid, with no mention of catweasel.

For reference I'm using windows XP.

So - has anybody actually got these working? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong - otherwise I've bought a few C64's for the sid chips to install into a flawed card? :blink:

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales
Still not getting very far with this. Acid 64 isn't detecting anything at all, but there is a device of "C64 SID6581" under sound devices in XP. Currently have an 8580R5 in U9, and the 6581 in U10. I'm using the latest drivers available as well (2.6.0.0)

Interestingly, cw_config is still showing only one SID chip. Also it has a line saying "Sid Support: No" ???? :blink:

C:\CatweaselCD>cw_config
found 0 config devices:
Hardware Revision: mk1
Clockmodes:
dual ported memory: No
Joystick Support: No
Keyboard Support: No
Sid Support: No

found 0 drives:
found 1 SIDs:
e800:e8c0 [CATWEASEL V2.6.0.0] unit 0, device '\\.\SID6581_1'
found 0 Keyboards:
found 2 Joystick Ports:
0000:0000 [] unit 0, device '\\.\C64_JOYSTICK_0'
0000:0000 [] unit 1, device '\\.\C64_JOYSTICK_1'

Getting a bit frustrated over this now. Was going to see if I could hook up a pc 5.25" drive to read the C64 disks I got recently - but looks like this is going to be fiddly too as the pc drive needs modifying for "flipper" disks? :mad: Am I just hitting a bug somewhere?

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales
Anybody know where I can get hold of Acid64 sid player version 2.4.0?

Apparently this is the last version to support the catweasel. The current download from the Acid 64 site is the latest pro version (with no catweasel support) but I can't find a link to any older versions on their site.

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales
Well, this is really doing my head in now.

I can only get the 6581 to be detected in any socket when I have an 8580 in the other socket.

A driver is installed and a "C64 SID6581" device is showing under sound devices. No sign of a 8580 though.

Managed to find some player software that works - goattracker 2.70. When I start that in catweasel hardware support mode, I get a loud repeating noise from the channel that the 8580 is plugged into. (n)

Playback through the 6581 works, but is very, very quiet - and there is a lot of interference on the audio (probably due to the 6581 audio being so low volume). I though the CW4 had filtering circuitry to sort this sort of thing out?

If I have only the 6581 or the 8580 installed nothing gets detected in windows, and goattracker complains about not being able to initialise hardware (obviously).

So it's only when I put BOTH chips in does the 6581 work, but the 8580 isn't seen at all. Doesn't matter which socket I put them in either.

Any ideas guys?

---------- Post added at 02:26 ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 ----------

Well - getting somewhere. I put two 8580 chips in and they were both detected - woohooo!!! As 6851 chips. :huh:

So looks like either they are being identified incorrectly, or all chips get detected as "6581" chips by catweasel and windows.

Unfortunately, I now get a high pitched whine and a lot of noise from the speakers. When I play tunes it comes out very distorted. If I remove the two filter jumpers it helps reduce the distortion, but then is very quiet and the whine/noise is very noticable. :mad:

So looks like my 6581 chip is infact duff (cos that would explain why a "6581" was detected when I installed any of the 8580 chips) but doesn't explain why the output was better when the 6581 was fitted - just quiet - from the 8580.

It's all a bit of a mess.... it's getting late/early and I'm getting tired. :coffee: lol

--------------

And as an update - I was trying all this out on a single core pc (an old via cpu based board) in case it was a multi core cpu/driver issue. Had it seeing both SIDs when CW4 was in this....

...and as soon as I moved it back to my main pc (quad core amd) it's now only seeing one SID again.....:banghead: Noise/whine is still there on both channels though, so hardware seems to be working.

Starting to think that this was a complete waste of time. (n)

Last edited:

Fizzy

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
South Wales
Well - I think I'm talking to myself here. :D

Anyhow - sent an email to Jens regarding my issues, and was pleasantly surprised to get a response back within a few hours. Was given a link to the beta driver section.

Tried newer drivers but the problems persists. There is now a few test modes in the cw_config program, one of which is "testsid". This sends a few tones etc to the SIDs. I get strange volume changes between each test. Still have the continuous whine as soon as the pc is powered on. Distortion is still there too - but differs a lot, which is odd. Like certain sections/sounds will distort (like some rhythms) but main voice will be fine.

Tried both sids back in an original C64 and they play fine. Listened to the invade-a-load tune for ages. :whistle:

So looks like I may have a faulty card. :blink:

Funnily enough, I also hooked up a 5.25" pc floppy drive to the catweasel, to try and read some of the C64 disks. Odd thing is, sometimes the auto detect works fine, others it says "unknown disk".... for the same disk. :unsure: Makes some very ominous noises too when retrying reads. May be messing up the drive by the sounds of it, as it's started being intermittant on reading disks too. :Doh:

Time for a clearout I think as I'm spending way too much time on these things. :D

Top Bottom