CD/DVD Emulator

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Well, I found (and ordered) a new gadget today. It's an iodd 2501 CD/DVD emulator. It is an external USB/eSATA hard drive enclosure that is also detected as a DVD drive. It use ISO files stored on the hard drive and mounts them in the virtual DVD drive.

I'll write a review once it arrives. :)

Heather

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
you've got too much money my friend :D

interesting item, especially that it works with MAC and Linux. then you don't need
different apps like daemon tools and mount loopback devices etc.. :)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
you've got too much money my friend :D
LOL! Not really, it's just that this is my main hobby and I don't have a husband or kids. :)

I have always disliked the software CD/DVD emulators because it was another thing running on your system. This gives you a nice external enclosure plus CD/DVD emulation. :D I'm very interested to see how well it works installing Linux from an ISO image.

Heather

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Neat little gadget there, but i was wondering, what difference does this make from other external hdd enclosures? I mean, does it have some firmware that fools the computer into thinking it's actually an optical device when emulating a CD/DVD? The link gives an impression of some "Asian weird-spelling-English-language" thingy. If you've got any Linux setup, i'd like to know how it behaves Heather!

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
@salaxi54

You hit it right on the nose. The device is dual function. The hard drive shows up as a standard USB mass storage device and the emulated DVD drive shows up as a USB DVD drive. The firmware in the device controls the DVD emulation and allows you to select an ISO that is 'inserted' in the DVD drive via a scroll wheel on the side. :)

I'll let you know how it works out.

Heather

mfilos

Extr3m3ly l33t
Country
Greece
Region
Glyfada/Athens
Outstanding device Heather :)
Thanks for sharing. Waiting for the review once you test it!

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
LOL! Not really, it's just that this is my main hobby and I don't have a husband or kids. :)
Tell me about it..but hey.. better than cars or motorcycles, which makes you covered in oil ;-)

:D I'm very interested to see how well it works installing Linux from an ISO image.

Heather

yeah.. I'm really looking forward to hear your review :)

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
I have always disliked the software CD/DVD emulators because it was another thing running on your system. This gives you a nice external enclosure plus CD/DVD emulation. :D I'm very interested to see how well it works installing Linux from an ISO image.

You can mount any (readable) iso as a file system in linux and in os x without any additional software. Last time I had to live with the redmond-os I recall either consuming a huge quantum of alcohol or using an application named that to mount the iso, I guess thats what you are refering to?

Might not be suitable to install linux from scratch, but that you can do with a spare usb stick if you don't fancy an optical media. (That was latest ubuntu)

If it however worked on the Amiga cd32 instead of the dog slow cpu-blocking 2x cdrom, I'll be all over it. :)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
@moijk

You've got some very valid points there. :) Mounting ISO images as a drive in Windows does take additional software. The main reason I wanted this device is because a computer sees it at the BIOS level as a CD-ROM drive without the need to mess around converting ISOs to flash drives. :)

I know booting from flash drives is the future, but this is for both my current and retro needs. :)

Heather

Top Bottom