CD32 - why can't I get into it?

RobA1200

Country
England
Region
watford
Hi all bit of a strange Q.

so far I've owned 2 cd32. Had them both for less than a month and sold them. Now I'm ideally searching them again on eBay ! What gives?

i have plenty of other amigas - Is it completeness of a set I seek?

any other views?

cheers

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Well if you didn't keep them before I see the same happening again. Nothing has changed and all the games you can play on another amiga. If you want authenticity you can hook up a cdrom to an A1200.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i had a cd32 once,i didnt like it...so i never had one again.

some like them some dont.

there is no easy answer for this,but if you dont really want one again dont get it youll never enjoy having it or appreciate it much enough to want to use it.

RobA1200

Country
England
Region
watford
That's true. I think it's more about having the thing. I rarely use my a2000. But I love walking in the room and seeing the monitor sat on top. Use my 1200 so much more.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Well I still have a CD32 here mainly as I have a large collection of Games for it. If I didn't have the games I wouldn't keep it.

Frederic_Freakazoid

Lazy Gamer
Country
United States
Region
Wisconsin
For me the CD32 was about the magic of CD Audio in games with extra intros and aga gfx. Nowadays it's not so magical anymore, but I'd still prefer a CD32 version with CD audio and a possible AGA upgrade of GFX. There were many CD32 games that were mostly a waste of a CD. 1-3MB of data used out of a whole CD with no Audio? It could be the original shovelware.

I recommend:
Jetstrike for the super cheesy audio tracks "Drop the bomb drop the bomb..."
Pirate's Gold - track 25 (or whatever the pirate techno song is) is one of my favorite songs
Liberation for some great ambient music and a high quality cd track for the intro
Microcosm - More technically impressive than fun, no other game has better FMV on a stock Amiga
Exile - had bigger gfx because they figured you'd be sitting for farther away, but not sure if it had cd audio or not
Worms - Had a pretty silly audio track "This is a story of courage, honour, and Worms..."
Alien Breed Tower Assault - Cheesy intro FMV, but one of the best control schemes in the series (it comes with one of the earlier games, but when you realize you can't shoot and move backwards in it, you automatically go back to Tower Assault)
Pinball Fantasies and/or Illusions - AGA gfx and cd audio
Universe - I *think* it had CD Audio.. I recall enjoying the game
Beneath a Steel Sky - This had full voice acting, however, there were a lot of pauses so I found it better to put all the game's data on a HD
Simon the Sorcerer - Full voice acting!

slk486

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
It feels too clunky and sluggish to be a console, and isn't complete enough to be a proper Amiga. I have one, but never use it.

Jameson

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
It feels too clunky and sluggish to be a console, and isn't complete enough to be a proper Amiga. I have one, but never use it.

Pretty much my sentiments - I have several CD32s in storage but never use them as they feel like a slow A1200 with missing keyboard (my slowest A1200 is a 50 mhz 030 overclocked to 62mhz and with 128mb fast ram).

Even the once great 2 speed cdrom is ridiculously slow compared to a WHDLoad game running off a decent hard drive - 300kb/s vs 1800+kb/s.

Not much point in the CD32 these days.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
For me the CD32 was about the magic of CD Audio in games with extra intros and aga gfx. Nowadays it's not so magical anymore, but I'd still prefer a CD32 version with CD audio and a possible AGA upgrade of GFX. There were many CD32 games that were mostly a waste of a CD. 1-3MB of data used out of a whole CD with no Audio? It could be the original shovelware.

I recommend:
Jetstrike for the super cheesy audio tracks "Drop the bomb drop the bomb..."
Pirate's Gold - track 25 (or whatever the pirate techno song is) is one of my favorite songs
Liberation for some great ambient music and a high quality cd track for the intro
Microcosm - More technically impressive than fun, no other game has better FMV on a stock Amiga
Exile - had bigger gfx because they figured you'd be sitting for farther away, but not sure if it had cd audio or not
Worms - Had a pretty silly audio track "This is a story of courage, honour, and Worms..."
Alien Breed Tower Assault - Cheesy intro FMV, but one of the best control schemes in the series (it comes with one of the earlier games, but when you realize you can't shoot and move backwards in it, you automatically go back to Tower Assault)
Pinball Fantasies and/or Illusions - AGA gfx and cd audio
Universe - I *think* it had CD Audio.. I recall enjoying the game
Beneath a Steel Sky - This had full voice acting, however, there were a lot of pauses so I found it better to put all the game's data on a HD
Simon the Sorcerer - Full voice acting!
Thanks for the list of games, I'll have to try them vs whdload :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I think like a lot of retro systems, you really had to own them at the time to have the nostalgia to continue enjoying them fully now.

I owned a CD32 at launch and really enjoyed playing games on it at the time, but like others have said, these days it doesn't offer enough over an A1200 to warrant really using one for most games compared to using WHDLoad on an A1200.

RoadKill was another game with good CD audio soundtracks.

The game I played the most was Diggers though. The CD32 version was bundled with most CD32s AFAIK and had a great CD audio track whilst you were playing. Really got you feeling like you were underground on an alien planet mining.

Microcosm is brilliant for the intro CGI film, but the game is complete rubbish.

Frederic_Freakazoid

Lazy Gamer
Country
United States
Region
Wisconsin
RoadKill was another game with good CD audio soundtracks.

Oh Yeah, I loved Roadkill! Racing with pinball-like bonuses.

Sleepwalker had a good "sleepy" soundtrack.

Pretty much anything with decent CD Audio made it hard to go back to the regular version, if the regular version was any good. ;)

Top Bottom