CF cards like HD

Commodoriano

Country
Spain
Hi

i am looking that the CF cards are fashion. My question is... this cards are stable and secure like a HD ?

thanks

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Kingston-4-GB-CompactFlash-Memory-Card-CF4GB.jpg

Kingston branded CF cards like the one above are the most compatible in my opinion. A 4 gigabyte card is the perfect size for a complete A600 or A1200 setup which includes the entire WHDLoad game database :)

Last edited:

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
A 4 gigabyte card is the perfect size for a complete A600 or A1200 setup which includes the entire WHDLoad game database :)
Well if he/she has a 600, that would entirely depend on the ROM installed, if 2.04 then 32Mb is perfect. ;)

If a 1200, well ignore my comment entirely and go the whole hog, 4GB. :p

P.s. I reccomend SanDisk ones personally though Canon ones are meant to work well too.

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
The best manufacturers of CF cards are 3 and 100% compatible with Amiga.

1. SanDisk
2. SanDisk

and

3. SanDisk :D

So, SanDisk. (y)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hi

i am looking that the CF cards are fashion. My question is... this cards are stable and secure like a HD ?

thanks

Go with a Geniune SANDISK product - its the ONLY advice I can give.

Going for generic / third party CF cards can (and often will) remove all the hair on your head.

Unfortunately I have had troubles with a whole range of both Generic and Geniune Cards.

This list includes -

• Kingston (although under 2GB)
  • Infinitiv
  • Kodak
  • Fujistu
  • Benq
  • Transcend (one worked and then didn't / other 2 error on files bigger than 2MB)
  • non named (claims samsung controller)
  • non named (unknown controller)
  • non named (claims san disk controller)

so, I do beg and plead on behalf of your sanity, get a genuine BRANDED SANDISK, these work without a fault, and most of the time you WONT have to edit the "MAXTRANSFERS" setting in HDTools

nkarytia

The Time Ripper!
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Torino
The best manufacturers of CF cards are 3 and 100% compatible with Amiga.

1. SanDisk
2. SanDisk

and

3. SanDisk :D

So, SanDisk. (y)

+1 I use only sandisk media on my Nikon D300 and D70 for 3 years and none has ever failed me!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
+1 I use only sandisk media on my Nikon D300 and D70 for 3 years and none has ever failed me!

I use any brand on my nikon D300, and have already used any brand on small box amiga's and never had a problem.

But that not for long time, for testing purposes, and using one of the popular preconfigured distributions.

So best to take advice given by others!

Chinners

Country
England
Region
North Yorkshire
All I can say is i've never had any problems with the Kingston 4GB CF cards so there! ner ner! lol:p

I can second that! I tried a genuine Sandisk (Sandisk Extreme 2), and it didn't work for me.

I have used a 4gb and (the first half of an) 8gb kingston with no problems at all :D

Just make sure they are genuine (i.e. don't buy of 95% of feebay sellers!)

clueless

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
West Yorkshire
I am pulling my hair oiut with three kingston cards at the min, I bought them as users said they were good and are obviously cheaper then Sandisk. Might be worth a punt as they are about 1/3 of a sandisk, but it really does seem most people have success with Sandisk

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
my question was if this "hack" is stable like a convencional HD.

thanks

when you have it working I would say YES

in fact I would say that its "more stable" due to no spinning parts.

Flink

Country
Portugal
Region
Vale de Cambra
I've got a couple of CF cards on my Amigas A1200. They are both SanDisk, work wonders, are very quick, and completely silent.

The AmigaOS seems to be perfect for this, because there is very little writing to the disk (if at all) during normal OS work (Flash memory cards only take so much writing). So you just get writes when executing apps, saving files, etc. ;) Other OSs seem to be relying on a new command (TRIM) or other external means of managing the writes along the card/SSD drive, to maximise lifetime.

I'll be upgrading a PowerBook G4 Titanium next :whistle: , and an old Windows/Linux PC, but I expect the card to last a lot less in these machines... :shhh:

Have fun!

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I've been using 1GB Kingston cards without any trouble in three Amigas. The only Kingston to give me a hard time was a 4 GB card in my A4000. The A4000 wouldn't cold boot with the Kingston. Warm boot worked though. Changed to Sandisk and hey presto, it works!

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
At last somebody who has not problems with any of the cf cards ;) on amiga ...

I tested the ide to cf card on a Pentium 4 (dual core), and was a little dissapointed:( They might be a bit quicker when loading , but some os's refused to install over ATA 66, using the 80 pin cable.;

The only solution whas to cut the speed down in BI0S. That worked for AROS, DEBIAN; XP ...

I would not use it if you use Linux there is a lot of un-noticed writing to the disk, that does not hurt much on speed. Since it's mostly security information, time stamps (like the noatime option to speed up) etc..

(on wintel you notice a lot more heavy writing to hd, but then I could flame indexing services, some strange dll cache, and I am quite sure an experienced wintel user could make up a LONG LIST of stuff that gets written without doing nothing :nuts:)

Top Bottom