Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Hi folks,

:help:

Could one of you guru types pass on some of your knowledge on CF cards please?

I've got a new A600 (from here of course). Great wee machine it is too (y) Problem I'm having is that WHDLoad games won't run from the CF. Getting all sorts of weird errors. Everything from possible corruption of the files to processor / ram errors.

Here's how I have set it up:

Used my PC and WINUAE to create the hard drive directly on to the 1gb CF in my card reader.

My WinUAE setup was a mirror of my A600 (3.1 rom, 2mb Chip, 2mb Fast).

The CF is partitioned as 250mb DH0 (system) and 750mb DH1 (work) and I installed WB3.1 on to it. Installed WHDLoad 16.9 (with my registered key of course). Copied the relevant system ROM's into the DEVS folder so that I don't get problems with Kickstart versions and that should have been job done.

Copied some full WHDLoad (non AGA of course) games onto my work partition. Tried to run them and that's when they look like they are working, screen goes black and then instead of the game I get some error or other.

This is the same on the actual A600 or in WinUAE.

Now - when I launch the WinUAE config that I created - enable my PC hard drive and run the SAME WHDLoad game from my PC's hard drive instead of the CF - it works fine! Every game, every time.

Any ideas? I've tried a different CF too with the same result.

I did see something about Max Transfer rate possibly being an issue and I've tried to change this in HDTools to 0x1FE00 but it won't let me change it (unless I'm doing it wrong?). Don't know if that's the problem anyway though, hence why I'm calling on my good friends here at Amibay to help :bowdown:

Cheers

John

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi John,

Its 99.9% a Max Trasfer issue, after you input 0x1FE00 you need to press enter for it to stay ;)

But, sadly by now I think there is a good chance you might have some corrupt files from the incorrect setup so if its not too much trouble I suggest starting again from scratch :(

One thing I will say, with 2mb + 2mb on the larger games (2/3 disks+) you'll need to disable the pre load option in the tool types.

4 or 8mb Fast is ideal for WHDLoad, 2mb just scrapes you through...

Steve.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Cheers Steve - trying it now (working from home because of the weather - for a 2nd day! and the Miggy is right next to me hehe) :)

I was just clicking OK and not pressing ENTER!

I'm going to pre-order the ACA630 from Amigakit so I think that will fix the RAM problem but wanted to make sure I could get it working properly first lol

Let you know shortly if it works...

J

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I was just clicking OK and not pressing ENTER!

Yep been there, done that and have the T-Shirt :D

I was working from home last week *cough* I mean playing Gran Turismo 5 ;)

The ACA630 looks awesome and I really want to invest but having the Apollo 620 is the only thing stopping me, oh and the fact Mrs Fitz might question me spending that when I have two lots of Car Tax to pay for today!

By the way, you'll find that a lot of the Quit keys in games don't work, this is due to the 68000 processor, once you have the 030 this wont be an issue.

All the best.

Steve.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Steve - it kept the settings (yay) but still getting the "data/disk-files are damaged or unsupported version" error. I think you are right - that the files are corrupt. Will re-do the disk in WINUAE at lunch time and see what happens :)

Will let you know - and thanks for the help mate! (y)

John

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Steve - it kept the settings (yay) but still getting the "data/disk-files are damaged or unsupported version" error. I think you are right - that the files are corrupt. Will re-do the disk in WINUAE at lunch time and see what happens :)

Will let you know - and thanks for the help mate! (y)

John

No probs mate, fingers crossed (y)

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
By the way, you'll find that a lot of the Quit keys in games don't work, this is due to the 68000 processor, once you have the 030 this wont be an issue.

All the best.

Steve.

Yeah - thanks Steve I had been told about that. There is also the lack of the numeric keypad as well for the games that quit with the print screen button. The 030 aint gonna fix that hehe :D

Know what you mean about the spending cash thing but I'm going to make it my Christmas pressie :)

Once I have the 030 - do you think it would be better to stick WB3.5 / 3.9 on it? I am also going to get the Wifi card from Amigakit (Easynet) too because the PCMCIA slot will be freed up and it will be easier to transfer games from my server - rather than taking the CF out of the machine every time (I can then put your wee S-RAM card in my Amiga essentials box for future use hehe)

I'm just using a nice Sony 15" CRT over RGB so not sure it would be worthwhile putting a newer WB on it but just wondering.

J

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

All the best.

Steve.

Yeah - thanks Steve I had been told about that. There is also the lack of the numeric keypad as well for the games that quit with the print screen button. The 030 aint gonna fix that hehe :D

Know what you mean about the spending cash thing but I'm going to make it my Christmas pressie :)

Once I have the 030 - do you think it would be better to stick WB3.5 / 3.9 on it? I am also going to get the Wifi card from Amigakit (Easynet) too because the PCMCIA slot will be freed up and it will be easier to transfer games from my server - rather than taking the CF out of the machine every time (I can then put your wee S-RAM card in my Amiga essentials box for future use hehe)

I'm just using a nice Sony 15" CRT over RGB so not sure it would be worthwhile putting a newer WB on it but just wondering.

J

You could try OS3.5/9, I tested (CWB) OS3.9 when I had my Apollo 630 and it ran OK, a little slow but it was the CWB pack and I know that is a little slower over the stock installation.

Don't forget the A600 is still an ECS Amiga so you're limited to a 16colour screen at the most however mine was slow in 16 colour and I reverted back to 8 colour @ 640x512 (interlaced) Luckily my TV Supports those modes without flicker :cool:

Steve.

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
This whole "max transfer" and "mask value" issue with CF cards is why i've given up on my Alfapower 500 and CF cards! I've tried different configs and different size partitions etc... And when i think it's finally working, it takes a huge dump and gives up.

Fortunately i've managed to find someone who's willing to sell me their upgraded GVP HD+... and a real HDD should last longer than a CF card anyway when it comes to lots of reading/writing and data retention :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
This whole "max transfer" and "mask value" issue with CF cards...

The issue is not the CF cards its the Amiga IDE which has the limitation, you can get the same problems with hard drives that have been setup incorrectly.

Once I set all my CF's up according to the 1 on 1 training session I had with the Flux Mastah Zetr0 I've not had a single problem and have about 8 CF Cards all fully setup and working flawlessly with different installs for different systems right from CWB 68k up to OS4!

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Hiya Steve - didn't get a chance to do what I wanted at lunch today (had to work right through it and actually still am!).

Before I start on the re-do of my CF - what do you recommend for setting it up please? It's a 1gb. I know the issue now about Max transfer rate (cheers mate!) but is there anything else you think I should make sure I do please?

Cheers

John

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hiya Steve - didn't get a chance to do what I wanted at lunch today (had to work right through it and actually still am!).

Before I start on the re-do of my CF - what do you recommend for setting it up please? It's a 1gb. I know the issue now about Max transfer rate (cheers mate!) but is there anything else you think I should make sure I do please?

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Nothing else to mention as long as you get the max transfer setting right you should be ok :)

You could just copy a few games over (ones that were problematic before) and test to make sure everything is ok before you copy the rest.

One little though, you did exract the WHDLoad games zip files in an Amiga enviroment right? And not in Windows?

Steve.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
That's it sorted mate! It was down to the max file transfer as you suspected. Only getting some games giving me a shadow mem issue (maybe they need more Ram) and the odd one coming up about the RTB file but I think I can sort the latter :)

Thanks again Steve!

John (y)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
That's it sorted mate! It was down to the max file transfer as you suspected. Only getting some games giving me a shadow mem issue (maybe they need more Ram) and the odd one coming up about the RTB file but I think I can sort the latter :)

Thanks again Steve!

John (y)

Awesome stuff John, and Shadow Mem - yeah thats lack-o-ram ;)

Have fun!

Steve.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
If corruption of files still occurs, low the max_transfer value to 0xFE00 (means 128kb -1 bytes) instead 0x1FE00 (that means 256kb -1 bytes).

The Amiga IDE controller driver (aka SCSI.device) is bugged from day zero.

If you put a way too high max_transfer (say: 0xFFFFFFFF = 4GB minus one byte), that's what the controller will try to transfer at a CPU cycle, don't minding if the device can swallow this amount of data in one turn.

Of course it will fail miserably, leaving a corrupted file & partition behind it. You know the story.

Old HD doesn't suffer from this disease as the buffer inside the HD takes care of the problem. CF cards doesn't have a memory cache to store data prior to write.

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
Old HD doesn't suffer from this disease as the buffer inside the HD takes care of the problem. CF cards doesn't have a memory cache to store data prior to write.

That must be why i've never had any problems using "real" HD's. CF cards can be a bit too fussy for my liking, but i'm sure they're great when configured properly. I'm sticking with the good old GVP HD8+ with a SCSI drive from now on :D

kabuji74

Country
France
Region
Rhone Alpes
A600 + whdload + cf pb

A600 + whdload + cf pb

Hi,

I've got same problems on my A600. I upgraded it with A620 accelerator card and an A604 memory expansion. I also have a ide to cf adaptator with a 4gb CF card. I installed AmigaOS 3.9 with boing balls 1 and 2 patches.
I've got many black screen with whdload games, sometimes when launching the game, sometimes when quitting, sometimes on saves. it sounds like a max transfer pb but I set 0x0FE00 value on each partition.
Have you got any ideas ? I read in this forum that zip files have to be unzipped in amiga environment and not in windows, is it true?

thank you for you time...

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i always unzip amiga files on an amiga.(but not really needed)

there might be problems unachiving lha and lzh files using unarchivers for pc's I.E: 7zip or others
i do these on amigas as thats how they where made.

kabuji74

Country
France
Region
Rhone Alpes
Thank you for your response. I can try to reinstall my games with unzipping directly from my amiga. But you seem to say that it is not needed. I still don't understand why i've got sometimes theese black screens...

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
if its not the maxtransfer setting,then maybe you dont have the right kickstart images in devs/kickstart folder on your amiga.

then the next one would be not enough memory the next one would be a corrupt transfer/file.

the last one if you was using a key would depend on wether you have registered whdload or not.

Top Bottom