Cheap solution to EPROM programming

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I am in a need of getting an EPROM programmed and possibly getting the contents of an other EPROM read. I don't have a programmer of my own so I would need to outsource this task or find a cheap programmer. Is the Willem the cheapest around or are there cheaper alernatives? What about DIY?

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
a Willem is cheap, and probably one of the cheapest, but can also be a pain from time to time.

and cheap gets expensive when you need different eproms programmed/read etc..

I have a Willem, and the 16bit addon.. and the addon was 2x the price on the willem programmer, which I got _really_ cheap on the evil bay.

when first using the programmer, I actually killed off some roms :-/ a GVP and a Malibu.

so please be careful and test it before reading.
(did I mention mine was cheap ?)

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I may have to get the Willem, if I can't come up with another solution. There is on problem with the Willem though: it needs a parallel port and currently my only computers with parallel ports are Amigas.

Btw, if you suspect a ROM to be faulty, can the contents still be read from it or is it utterly unreadable?

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I may have to get the Willem, if I can't come up with another solution. There is on problem with the Willem though: it needs a parallel port and currently my only computers with parallel ports are Amigas.

Btw, if you suspect a ROM to be faulty, can the contents still be read from it or is it utterly unreadable?

This really does depend on "how" the device is faulty, if it is in the programming of the cells - then reading should be okay -

However, if the error is in Addressing the Cells - or in collecting the Data from the Cells, then this device is kaput.. deceased.. dissembled... or

As Monty would say:
"its beeding demised.... it is an ex-eprom/parrot thing and the only reason it was in the socket was becasue some one nailed it there...."

- and you wont need to go to Bolton to find that out either.

I believe that TheCorfiot managed to get hold of a very good and cheap 16bit EEPROM programming solution, hopefully he will be on here in a bit to tell you more.

I cannot say too much as my Willem 4.5 + 16bit module + a crap load of adapters was about £70, my Genus 540 EEPROM/FLASH / 74xIC Tester / GAL programmer was again another £55, my JTAG, TSOP and my Other 8Bit programmer - Another £50

I like my programmers.... I am on the hunt for a PAL programmer so if anyone can recomend one I would be cuffed =D

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I would love to get a programmer that will do Commodore 64/128/Amiga chips. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue when it comes to EEPROM burners. I've heard of Willem in the past, but I don't know which makes, models, etc will work. If anyone can point to specific models, that would be great. :D

Perhaps this thread could be a good place for programmer reviews.

Take care,

Heather

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Same here..
When I needed one a bit ago, I started to get into it because I thought of all the things I could eventually do with it...
Then I started looking and saw that this model would do X, but only Y if you bought Z. And even then, maybe not.. But that model would do X and Y, although maybe not W..

Then I found someone to burn one for me, which was OK, but I still wouldn't mind playing with one myself. I've got enough old machines (8 and 16 bit) that I can think of several uses. :)

I think some reviews/guidelines would be a great idea!!

desiv

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
The cheapest solution is a bread board with a power supply and programing it Bit by Bit. Long, tedious and very boring, but it can be done with no e-prom burner. of course you will have to do it in binary etc. it is not fun, but it is cheap.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
@SDG The basic roms in the C64/128 can be programmed using the regular willem (36pin/8bit)
the roms/kickstarts in the amigas needs a 16bit adapter you put on top of the 36pin zif socket
(the zif socket is the green socket with an arm to close, making it easy to insert and remove the eproms)

My willem programmer is similar to this one : http://cgi.ebay.com/Willem-Universa...27c512-c3-/190433335396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2

the 16bit adapter can be something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/16-Bit-EPROM-Ad...0-27C4002-/390194295651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

and regarding to me killing my roms, I suspect the parallel port of the computer I used

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Check out this card you might find them around your area..

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0335292

Chris :coffee:

Legacy ports in my PeeCee.... :eek:veractor: :run:

Seriously, thanks for the tip! Had not thought of it.:)

@Zetr0:
The ROM is a 27256 one and the pin 22 or /oe is on constant low, when it should be clocking. Kaputt?

That one supports all modes thats why I got it since those Xcables are so
picky now I have to get one..

Chris :coffee:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@protek

hmmmm

OE [pin 22] - Output Enable

This could go both ways, but looking at the wave form transistions you might get lucky

OE when set Voltage LOW (VIL) is used to LOCK the Valid Address - usually on the back of CE (Chip Enable) when it drops LOW (VIL).

The result of this should allow for a Valid Output (O0-O7).

The address is then disgarded when CE is set High (VIH) - normally OE would follow suit in this, however as its constantly low, this may interfere when locking in the next available Vaild Address- unfortuately its one of those - try and see.

I beleive that if the programmer can set up the bit-address quick enough for the CE to be enabled then it may just work.... if however that propagation is just a little too slow, it could have OE kicked in tooearly and only locking a portion of a Valid Address.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
@Zetr0

Thanks! The reason I'm asking about this is that the ROM I suspect to be faulty, contains the SVI-728 basic with Scandinavian key layout. There are ROM images available in the net but those are UK layout. Nothing is more annoying than trying to use a keyboard with a different layout than the one on the ROM. :computertrash:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
There are some uber-cheap COM port programmers on a certain site *cough* and TC reckons they work well enough for 27c series EPROMs.

I had a Polish (Sivava) pallel port Willem for a while and I found it to be unreliable. The programmer software stated that programming and verifying was completed OK, but the chips were always corrupted. I also found that it needed a beefy power supply to be able to get the right programming voltage for the chips.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
@Merlin
Like this on that certain *cough* site?

Edit: Or maybe not as it doesn't list 27C as supported.

A serial programmer would be good as my PeeCee still comes with a serial port.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Erm, not sure; TC is the guy that knows about these COM port types.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Merlin do you remember what rev of the willem you had ?

I have an 5.0c which I actually managed to burn kickstarts where it was powered by the USB connector.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Mine was a 3.3b and used software called Eprom 0.98a.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I think my software is 0.98d,

I think alot have changed on the PCB layout since your version..

though I have 3 eproms that keep failing on me, so I'll try and use a psu rather than using usb power

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
I beleive that if the programmer can set up the bit-address quick enough for the CE to be enabled then it may just work.... if however that propagation is just a little too slow, it could have OE kicked in to early and only locking a portion of a Valid Address.

OK, that's exactly what I was thinking!!

Not sure why I thought this ROM burning stuff was complicated before...

um..

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

desiv
;)

Top Bottom