Clearing out the loft/ Nostalgia rules !

Old_Geezer

Country
England
Region
West End Southampton
Hi Folks , its been a long time since I did anything Amiga, but this Week I started clearing the loft of 40 Years worth stuff I couldn`t bear to part with at the time. In a box, marked video stuff I rediscovered the following -:
My Trusty Amiga A4000 , which has an installed GVP TBC card ( cost me more than the A4000 if I remember correctly )
A Camlink100 Audio mixer
A Hama 292 Genlock
A A500 and plug in the side GVP hard drive
All the leads, a stack of Amiga books and software
OOOOh Im in my element !!! I just gotta get this lot working again :)

Pity though, I cannot locate the A4000 keyboard or mouse - so Im keeping my eyes peeled on this forum !
Sadly, the 1084S Monitor that was lurking does not want to power up so I guess Im also looking for a 15KhZ monitor too

Well, I guess that`s it for now

There`s prolly a whole lot I gotta re-learn, but It`s gonna be great fun again :) I`m retired now, so I have the time to play :)

Maybe this makes me a "Born again Miggyman" ?

All the best - Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
Welcome Brian ;)
Those are quite nice toys you re-discovered!!!

Grtz, PymerOne.

Geraldine

Re-discovering Amigas after a bit of an absence!
Country
Scotland
Region
Renfrewshire
Hi Brian
That's quite a collection you have there! :)
Like yourself I am trying to re-learn all the stuff I took for granted years ago. You wont find a better place than here. The people on this board know everything about Amigas (I am amazed in fact! :blink:), so I am sure you will be up and running in no time. Good luck in your hunt for the missing parts, maybe they are still up in your loft somewhere?

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hi Brian!

It's great to have you here at AmiBay. :D I'm sure you'll be able to find all the parts you need here (and probably many that you didn't think you needed as well). :wink:

Welcome!

Heather

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Hi Old_Geezer (from another one :LOL:).....

The amount of retro knowledge that is available from people's brains on here is staggering; we couldn't build a web site big enough to hold it all!

Just about any question that you could throw at the members in our AmiOracle section on here will get answered.

Welcome to our retro font of all knowledge.....

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
VERY FIRST THING: Check the battery in the A4000. They are prone to leaking and destroying the motherboard! :S

Lift the lid and remove the battery ASAP, then you can sleep easy at night. Otherwise, have a lovely time here on the 'bay!

Geraldine

Re-discovering Amigas after a bit of an absence!
Country
Scotland
Region
Renfrewshire
Goodness yes! Great point Andy, get that battery out of there asap!

Old_Geezer

Country
England
Region
West End Southampton
Wow ! Im impressed ! so many replies , so quickly !!! Tnx for the heads up re the battery - have opened the case, Battery at <BT76> is all intact, no leakage, although a multimeter tells me its flat !! haha - didnt really expect aything else after all this time ! . Powering up brings clicking and clacking from one of the disk drives , but its damn frustrating when the monitors I have tried say " out of range input " . I`ll get there, and I`ll be playing monkey island soon ;-) . Seriously though , this machine was only ever used in connection with a business I had at the time making Video`s for Pubs and clubs, using "scala" for titling ( whats on next week ) kinda thing, and the genlock used to overlay/underlay video of the bands/djs etc. My A600 however, was my home machine on which I wasted many hours running round Monkey Island !! , and may do so again, if I can just get past " Fire and Ice "

Many Greets and Thanks to all

Brian

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Remember the A500's trapdoor 512kb expansion have one of those nasty batteries, too. At least most of them have one, prone to leak and destroy the board.

A power supply for A500 is no big deal and you can even make a new one using an ATX power supply (not the Amiga will ever need 400W of powah!).

Your monitor may have a minor problem, so a rapid check can bring it back to life.:)

Anyway, AmiOracle and the sales forums are waiting.

Welcome. Good to see another Amigan back to teh bizznizz. ;)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Wow ! Im impressed ! so many replies , so quickly !!! Tnx for the heads up re the battery - have opened the case, Battery at <BT76> is all intact, no leakage, although a multimeter tells me its flat !! haha - didnt really expect aything else after all this time ! .

It's probably still wise to get a pair of snips and cut the battery out. Those things are a ticking timebomb, prone to go off at any moment. It can be quite easily replaced, there's lots of talk about it on here and other boards.

As my good friend rkauer points out, it's also worth checking for a battery on anything you might have in the trapdoor of the A500, too :) (If it's an A500+, that has a battery on the motherboard, so check that too)

Forgive me sounding paranoid, but I've had a couple of Amigas die of battery poisoning and repairing them is a lot of work.

P.S. I notice you're in the Southampton area. Someone local, woo!

Top Bottom