UK
Region
Norfolk
Hello there my fellow AmiBayers

I was clearing out a draw and I found this little marvel

A Coleman Cold Heat Soldering Tool

coldheat.jpg

(stock photo)

Its a Coleman COLD HEAT Soldering Iron, which in a nutshell, is a micro arc welder =)

it uses 4 AA batteries and can give you a good volley of welds.

here is a commercial of the product and here is a practical use of the item

The unit I have here requires a new Nib (as this one is missing) and Batteries, the item is like new as it only has only been out of the draw 3 times that I can remember,

you can get new Tips from here

Here is my appraisal of the unit.

Applications:

This particular tool is good for small scale repair and on tight space components. A particular bonus over a regular soldering iron is the fact this item is only hot when in contact with the soldering surface.

this is particulary good for repairs while an item is housed in say a plastic cover as it wont melt it. Also this is a low wattage unit so temperature sensative components (like flash memory and MCU controllers) wont be as beratted as it would with a regular Iron.

Techniques:

This is unlike most other forms of soldering and its best I mention this to you. essentially you are using a mini-arc welder, so its NOT pressure or direct heat that gets the job done. In fact its about holding the tool on the area for weld until the arch is connected and the heat is going through the component / solder and pcb.

Its a little tricky to begin with but with patience this tool does very well and on small through-hole work it can breeze through it. I would say that with a fresh set of 4x Duracell AA batteries you could achieve a comftable 200 welds (solders)

Now, its important to note that although the benfits of a portable system are indeed good, it does have a limmitation of that this particular cold heat solution has not the ability to use solder wick or braide, theres just not enough heat generated from the unit to do desoldering.

However if your use is for build of small through-hole or SMD based PCB hobby work then this will do you well, this is also good for small on the job repairs in the house or at work / in the car etc.

All yours for the princely sum of £15 + postage

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Hey Zetro, Might i get first dibs? This seems like the ideal tool for getting caps off and changing sockets, is it any good with SMD caps?

Was gonna buy a new iron but this might be better. Maybe I can get some real work done in the future with this thing :)

---------- Post added at 05:29 ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 ----------

Some reviews say this may not be good for PCB work due to the way it operates? have you used it on any motherboards and things atall?

---------- Post added at 05:55 ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 ----------

Sorry dude but interest withdrawn...

"Regarding arcing, we do not represent the tool as ESD safe. In fact, our instructions warn against using it on circuit boards." - Glenn Schindo, Brand manager, Weller, Cooper Hand Tools

I only had PCB use in mind for it so I'd feel safer with a fine tip iron.

Thanks anyways. :)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ AmiNeo

Have you considered a hot air paint stripper gun on a low setting for removing SMD devices?

It's been my weapon of choice for a good many years and TSOPS fall at my feet when I get the old Black & Decker out.

Tt takes some practice (scrap PC cards are great for this) but once mastered, it's quite a versatile tool for circuit board work.

You could also buy a hot air rework station, but I prefer Oldskool methods....:LOL:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@AmiNeo

To be honest this tool really shouldn't be considered for any removal work, espcially things like capactors (smd or through-hole)

This tool excells soldering small components to a board and in portability.

I have used this tool to solder SMD and through-hole components on small boards and it seemed perfectly fine for the job at hand...

if I remember correctly it was used on a 150watt PSU capacitor replacement, the other was somthing to do with LCD panel (small SMD mono caps) and the last thing I distinctly remember is repairing the Lamp in the bedroom.

The reason this didn't get much use is that the wifie bought me a hot-air rework station for my birthday =)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
1037   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi Zetr0,

I don't have any soldering tools, if I wanted something for basic work i.e to solder a CF-IDE adapter to make the HDD light work or to simple jobs like fixing the wires that have come away on A600 LED's will this be suitable?

If so mate I'll take it off your hands (y)

(Assuming AmiNeo dosen't take it)

Steve.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hiyas Steve,

infact thats the ideal type of job for this tool, its a shame I lost the tip or you could of have a crack at it when you pop on up this weekend see if its really for you..

I found that with this unit the smaller the job the better it performs, it did breeze through soldiering mono and electroltyic caps on an LCD panel inverter.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
1037   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hiyas Steve,

infact thats the ideal type of job for this tool, its a shame I lost the tip or you could of have a crack at it when you pop on up this weekend see if its really for you..

I found that with this unit the smaller the job the better it performs, it did breeze through soldiering mono and electroltyic caps on an LCD panel inverter.

Thanks mate, if AmiNeo pulls out I will defo take it (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom