Coming naked to a meeting

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I've heard about people having this nightmare.

You know, it's an important meeting, you've done your best to prepare. And then - while you're presenting you notice everyone staring a little more intensely than you would expect. Then you realise, you've left home naked. Taken the bus to work, and now you're up there with your presentation in the full monty... You could even do a "puppeteer of the p*nis" show if you weren't so mortified.

Like I said, I've heard people having this dream/nightmare. I've never had it myself. Honestly.

That was, until today. Today I lived it.

Today I stood there naked, infront of all my peers. The problem started yesterday.

No server for you! Okay, I'll b*tch about it, but I can work around it I though. We'll still get to do the demo for the client and the projects steering commitee. I'll just do it from my laptop.

So, got in early at the office today. Made sure everything was running smoothly on the laptop.

Check.

Went early to the conference room where the meeting was to be held.

Check.

Set up the laptop with the projector and video conferencing system for those who tune in from remote locations.

Check.

Start the development environment and run the services.

KABOOOM!

Wtf!! It just worked minutes ago in my office.

Database connection?

KAPLAOW!!!

Wtf!!!! What's this???

Network?

FREEEZE

At this point everything stopped. Nothing happened with my computer.

It's all stone cold.

What has happened?

Well, windows have detected that I've moved my computer from the cabled network at my desk, to the wifi lan in the conference room.

All shares are gone, thus DOS is lost. Nothing that needs to touch a file or IP will work.

So what are you supposed to do?

The meeting room is filling up with people anxious to see the demo. 2 minutes left until the meeting is scheduled to start.

I force power down the machine, and pray to Murphy that he's got his back turned to me today.

I power up, log on.

Check, so far so good.

Open the development IDE to bootstrap the demo app.

CRAWL..... WTF???

Oh, the force close I did earlier has invalidated the project. It has to run through validation.

Oh, no internet connectivity. All thousands of various XML's hits a network time out as the IDE tool (choose your interpretation of tool here as you wish) wants to access the net to get the xml schemas and validate them too at the same time.

Thus.

There I was naked. Infront of all the people who had patiently waited 20 minutes into the meeting, talking about getting coffees and all sorts of other stuff. Shooting the breeze as it were.

Nothing to show but my bare @ss. In the back of the room I hear the lawgiver Murphy jeer at me: 'Peeek-a-booo I see yoooouuuu..'

I know what will haunt me in my sleep tonight.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
dang that's some bad luck there!!! Happened to all of us in one form or another... did you manage to recover in the end?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
It's not that bad Arnjlot, next time you'll have a cabled connection. Never feel bad if you did wat you could, people will have to understand!;)

I don't use a laptop for meetings, that works every time :D (somethimes I get without good markers, if any presentation graph needs to be) :D

I remember that the IT staff was asked in my IT day's to prepare such meetings, meaning setting the laptop ready, with a cabled connection, looking that the "presentation" runs.. there is power.. So the one who gives it can concentrate on other stuff..

Still 20 people would get me nervous..

Jurgen,

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
When I gave my first presentations, six or seven years ago, I'd have a laptop to present with, but always had printed acetates, "just in case". Even though I don't give very many presentations, there was still one day I was very grateful for those acetates, since I was given a room with no data projector at all!

These days, I'm more cavalier about it, I don't print acetates any more, since I can moan at other people if the data projection stuff isn't working. :)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I'f I'm holding a pure presentation I try to keep to notes and whiteboards. And only use slides on a projector for distractions :)

But this was to be a demo of the application functionality developed so far. So the users and the people who pay for it were very interested in seeing the actual application and how it behaves and looks. We've received praise internally from the client for good useability and a snappy look. So a lot of people had turned out because they wanted to have a good look at us.

Well, thankfully everyone was appraised of the situation with the test server before they arrived. So they didn't blame me, at least not to my face :) LOL

But I do feel that since we knew about it before the meeting, and didn't cancel that I could perhaps have done more to get it to work from my laptop.

What that should have been short of voodoo, chicken blood wormwood and swan teeth grined to a powder and spread around the room while chanting the hitch hikers guide in ascii binary codes using win-1252 charset encoding.... I dunno, but something like that might have helped, or getting even earlier to work, and thus earlier to the meeting room.

At 12 (lunch time) the laptop was working again. So by those calculations, I would have had to be in the meeing room at about 0630 this morning :) hehe

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I got severely told off once by Shell's IT Department (known internally as the Batcave) for this little story.

I came into the office before I was due to see a client with an important presentation. I connected to the network and it began to synchronise, but what I didn't know was that the server I normally synched to in London was down, so my laptop synched with nothing and all of my documents suddenly disappeared!! Sh!t!! :wooha:

After a minute or so of staring at the screen in total disbelief, logic began to work again. I reasoned that the files must be cached somewhere on this machine (it was running a modified version of Win2000). I started to poke around on the machine and eventually was able to view offline files, not just for me, but for everyone that had ever used that machine!

I quickly sorted them by user and copied all of my files down to a CD, so that I could at least run the presentation from the CD. I thought others might also be affected by this outage, so I e-mailed my workaround to the Batcave to pass onto to them so they could recover their files.

It was less than a minute before I got a phone call on the mobile from the Batcave. "What the Hell are you doing? You aren't authorised to do that!!" I replied "Maybe so, but you aren't authorised to delete my files and stop me from working either!!" I hung up, packed the lappy up and went off to do the presentation.

It turned out that I had poked a big hole through their IT security that they never knew was there. I wasn't thanked for it though...:(

After that, I always backed up important files to CD before I synched at the office or before an important presentation.

@ AndyLandy

OHPs never crash and blue screen though, do they? :LOL:

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Stories like that make me feel glad i never got involved
(professionally speaking) in winblows :). I wouldn't change my Solaris environment with any of that stuff! But then again, i never -personally- had to do a presantation... :D
Nevertheless, i sympathise.. Hope it never happens to you again, arnljot (y)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Stories like that make me feel glad i never got involved
(professionally speaking) in winblows :). I wouldn't change my Solaris environment with any of that stuff! But then again, i never -personally- had to do a presantation... :D
Nevertheless, i sympathise.. Hope it never happens to you again, arnljot (y)

How many presentations have you given with a Solaris laptop? ;-)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
In ancient times, when Sun was a company. Some months ago. It was always cool to see the sun techs giving presentations in PDFs created with Star Office :)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@Andy: Like i said, i never had to do a presentation (lucky me):D
On the other hand, i dislike laptops anyway - other than my A600- but OpenOffice Impress for Solaris would do the job if need be.. :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
It turned out that I had poked a big hole through their IT security that they never knew was there. I wasn't thanked for it though...:(

That's IT staff for you!

@ AndyLandy

OHPs never crash and blue screen though, do they? :LOL:

FACT! Absolutely. That all said, I've been very happy with the reliability of the Apple Macs I use these days. Never had any real problems with them in the last six years. I'm glad to see the back of Windows.

Oh, and I have no love for Solaris whatsoever. God-awful piece of junk. BRING BACK SGI IRIX! Now there was a rock-solid-stable and truly reliable UNIX implementation.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Well, as they say, one man's junk is another man's treasure.. and vice-versa! :)

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
both meat and junk is something that they keep in the trunk at Brokeback Mountain.

Btw, salaxi did you work for sun - where do you work now? Oracle or somewhere else?

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
@arnijot: nope, government.. The beasts i cope with are mostly V880's :)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
@arnijot: nope, government.. The beasts i cope with are mostly V880's :)

We have a couple of T2000s that run as fileservers. To be fair, it's mostly the UNIX Samba software that's a stinking pile, not Sun or Solaris.

Top Bottom