Commodore 64 video distorted on LCD tv set via antenna

Sam

software automated mouth
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Roma
Hallo! Today I got my new - old c64 breadbin at home. It works fine, but the video display is quirky. The first three lines are ok, then it gets more and more fuzzy every three lines!! Since I'm using the original Commodore antenna cable, I think it may be some kind of signal incompatibility (given that the c64 refreshes at 50.12 hertz, not 50 exactly) and I ordered a scart cable on e-bay.

- BUT -

I fear that some chip is going awry :wooha: ...that could also be the cause...

I don't have an analog tv-set anymore to do some more checks, so I post some pictures here in case someone want to share his opinion on the matter!
dscn8195c.jpg

The c64 is working, but when I opened I found that two or three chips have been replaced... here you are another pic:

dscn8187.jpg

The VIC model is MOS Technology 6569 – (PAL-B)

The LCD tv model is LG 32LH3000-ZA

Do you have any idea of what's happening?? :nuts:

Sam

software automated mouth
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Roma
Good news!

Good news!

At last I remembered I had in my closet an old tv adapter (to view television on the pc) which has vga output. After a bit of fiddling I could see the c64 video in all it's old fashioned glory on the LCD :p

Now I'll have to fight the checkerboard effect it shows on most colors... I'll be waiting for the scart cable to see if it gets any better.

But all the chips are definitely working!

(y)

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Glad you got it working. Keep us updated though. I just bought a C64 and was wondering the best way to view on an LCD. So an update on the scart picture would be nice :)

Cheers

LTAC

AmiBayer
Country
FRANCE
Region
South of PARIS
My opinion, but I may be wrong: I do not see the metal shield around the PAL VIC-II chip. Maybe it's there you have some interferences.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
one would think that the best option on an LCD for the c64 would be via S-Video, it would be easy enough to go to a dollar store and pick up an SVideo cable and an RCA extender and make an extension for the Luma/Chroma connectors, since thats all SVideo is.....Luma/Ground Chroma/Ground

Sam

software automated mouth
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Roma
And...

And...

Yes, LTAC, I also noticed there's no shielding... but I have no means of putting anything there unless you can suggest me a homebrew solution!!

@SaviorX, I don't know, afaik the scart cable connects to the video (monitor) output of the c64, and then the monitor should recognize the scart signal either as composite or s-video, so it should be a bit more of a direct solution... I had a scart on my childhood system (crt) and it was flawless, hope is the same on the lcd... somebody reported interlacing problems...

I'll keep you all informed :ninja:

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
Yes, LTAC, I also noticed there's no shielding... but I have no means of putting anything there unless you can suggest me a homebrew solution!!

@SaviorX, I don't know, afaik the scart cable connects to the video (monitor) output of the c64, and then the monitor should recognize the scart signal either as composite or s-video, so it should be a bit more of a direct solution... I had a scart on my childhood system (crt) and it was flawless, hope is the same on the lcd... somebody reported interlacing problems...

I'll keep you all informed :ninja:

wouldnt know much about SCART, they typically aren't available/in use in North America, to my knowledge...

as for the shield.....cardboard wrapped in aluminum foil and carefully attached/placed?

Sam

software automated mouth
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Roma
bad (?) news this time

bad (?) news this time

Here you are a link on SCART: depending on how you wire it, you get a s-video or composite or whatever: http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/eprebel/SoundAndVision/Engineering/SCART.html

Back to the news, I tried some colors and light blue shows up as WHITE...
Also light green is washed away...

As you can see in the pictures (first, my lcd, with the menu on showing colors) then VICE...

badt.jpg

57941131.jpg

Other colors are fine... did you ever experience anything like this at all?

Still waiting for my cable :unsure:

ck1200

CBM & Retro Mad
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
North Wales
Glad you got it working. Keep us updated though. I just bought a C64 and was wondering the best way to view on an LCD. So an update on the scart picture would be nice :)

Cheers

seconded

Sam

software automated mouth
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Roma
Good news again

Good news again

After fiddling (and fiddling, and fiddling) with monitor, vga adapter, candles and voodoo I present you the colors as they come out now... apart from the flickering on the sides it seems pretty decent... :)

dscn8206.jpg

And here you are a view of the like-new keyboard

dscn8203.jpg

Last edited:

ck1200

CBM & Retro Mad
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
North Wales
Wow looking better good to see the mk1 too!!!

Sam

software automated mouth
AmiBayer
Country
Italy
Region
Roma
The scart cable is here!

The scart cable is here!

Hallo, I would like to upgrade those of you who are interested.
The scart cable works as charm... perfect... I'm so happy with this purchase.

See attached image...! Problem solved (y)

dscn8273.jpg

Top Bottom