Commodore Amiga CDTV

fantasticfilm

Country
UK
Hi,

First of all, fantastic forum! can't wait to explore further.

I'm just starting to get back into Amigas and retro gaming in general. I have an old Amiga 500, but am looking to expand my collection.

I was thinking of purchasing a CDTV complete setup; CDTV unit, external disk drive, joypad, mouse and keyboard and perhaps a couple of games.

Question is what are my chances of finding one, I've never seen one on ebay etc... and how much can I expect to reasonably pay assuming I can find one? are they particularly rare?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey fantasticfilm,

It's great to have you aboard. :) Unfortunately, asking how much something generally costs is not allowed on AmiBay. If you see something at a price you like then you just buy it. :) Average prices should be researched elsewhere.

With that in mind, I don't see many CDTVs coming through, but I've seen at least three of them here over the last year. You can search the threads to see what you can find. :)

Welcome to AmiBay!

Heather

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
I have a CDTV .... complete setup (keyboard, mouse, floppy drive, remote control) but I have to say, they are hard to come by.
I only ever see them crop up on eBay once or twice a year, and they command quite a bit of wonga each time.
The one I have was cheap, due to exterior condition (it has a dent or two in the casing) but functions perfectly. For those who went to the Byte Back event last year, that was my CDTV that was there.

My advice ..... if you must get a CDTV, then trawl Freecycle (or 'Freegle' if that's what they wanna call the damn thing nowadays) or you could look on ebay.
If you buy from the evil bay, be prepared to pay a high price though, as the CDTV is a rare (ish) item to get hold of.

However, still put a post in on here, as I'm sure there's a few peeps who may have a CDTV they want to offload (wishful thinking, but you never know)

As for software, there's always CDTV software on ebay, but some titles can fetch a bit too much (such as the Sherlock Homes CDTV game for instance) but more popular titles (Lemmings, Sim City, Trivial Pursuit) only sell for pennies.

Finally, as a side project, I have started converting a few A500 games over to the CDTV.
I have the AmigaOS developer's kit, which also includes the CDTV developer's kit (including the important 'trademark' boot sector files for making bootable CDTV and CD32 discs).
I have currently only done two games: Bombjack and Holiday Lemmings 93 .... but I intend to do a few more once I have a bit more time on my hands. Please bare in mind, that it's quite limited in what games I can get to run on an unexpanded CDTV as they only have 1MB CHIP RAM, so the games need to be able to run on a 1MB Amiga and (preferably) be AmigaDOS friendly.
Some games that fit in to the above criteria, I have tried, and they crash on a CDTV (Arkanoid being one of them) so there's no guarentee that I can get any game onto CDTV reliably. Obviously, getting a floppy drive and running non-CDTV games that way will still work as normal (except the odd one or two that need the whole 1MB, but there's ways around those)

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Welcome to AmiBay. (y)

CDTV is a great machine indeed. Top stuff for your living room. :cool:

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Welcome to AmiBay. (y)

Exactly the reason I got mine.
I'm trying to create the perfect 'retro living room' and the CDTV fits in perfectly alongside the 1990's Kenwood seperates, old 80's Ferguson Videostar 2000 VHS Video Recorder, 1st gen Sony DVD Player and 28" CRT Television :LOL:

playgeneration

Country
South Wales, UK
For those who went to the Byte Back event last year, that was my CDTV that was there.

Cool, I enjoyed having a go on that! having never before (or since) seen a CDTV in the flesh. I was impressed with how well the remote pads work, I had expected them to lose signal all the time.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Welcome to AmiBay. (y)

I'm trying to create the perfect 'retro living room' and the CDTV fits in perfectly alongside the 1990's Kenwood seperates, old 80's Ferguson Videostar 2000 VHS Video Recorder, 1st gen Sony DVD Player and 28" CRT Television :LOL:

LOL... No! You got it wrong m8. CDTV can stand next to PS3 and other next-gen stuffs even now. At least in my living room. ;)

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Welcome to AmiBay. (y)

LOL... No! You got it wrong m8. CDTV can stand next to PS3 and other next-gen stuffs even now. At least in my living room. ;)
It can, but I cannot afford (and also, do not want) a PS3 :LOL:

I'm into recent gaming systems .... I had a Wii and sold that as I rarely used it .... same for the Xbox 360.
The only thing a PS3 has going for it, is the BluRay player!

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
CDTVs are great: I met a very good friend selling one when I worked on Saturdays at Diamond Computers in Leamington Spa... I ended up being his best man, and am godfather to his first daughter :D . So yes, CDTVs have a special place in my affection :D

I only just got one last month, and managed to nurse it back to health. Everyone should have one, just to marvel at how wonderfully hacky they seem: it's as if one of the engineers was asked to add a CD drive without redesigning anything major...

Just get a base unit. Any amiga disk drive works. Any monitor works. You need a CDTV remote control, but they're all over the place and not expensive (although epay will rush you a tenner for one). You can add a mouse and joystick port yourself if you're remotely into DIY. You can rewire any amiga keyboard to work with the CDTV - even an A500 keyboard...

Expect to need to clean the lens: this is actually straightforward and takes about half an hour. I will publish a guide with pics sometime if people will find it helpful.

And, if you can, buy one from someone on here! Post a wanted ad: you may just get lucky!

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Unfortunately, I don't have a black 1084S to go with my CDTV, but I have all the other addons for it (keyboard, mouse, floppy drive)

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
@Andy

:woot:

Dave G :cool:

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Yes, but the original has the sticker below it (CD-1411). ;)

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Yes, but the original has the sticker below it (CD-1411). ;)
101748_Luxor%20970%20Bk%20%20Permanent%20Marker%20%20%20Pen_pbilimage1.jpg

Problem solved :D

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ woodycool

PM me if you are looking for a Black 1084S. (y)

Kin

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Ah... Kinny... I really want a black 1084S, but the postage will be hell, and it's dangerous too... :(

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Yes Phantom. It could kill it, although I did have it shipped to me from Poland & it cost me an arm & a leg. The front panel lost one of its plastic hinges, but everyone knows they break like this for breakfast. :|

The display is spot on though. (y)

Kin

Top Bottom