Compatible PC floppy drive for A500 case?

hoptoit

Country
USA
Region
Portland Oregon
Nathan is posting me one of his new floppy adapter boards. But I still need to source a PC floppy drive that will fit inside an A500. The biggest problem is that the disk slot needs to align with the slot on the case. I tried one drive but the inserting angle was diagonalized. No go on that one.

Any drives that are known to fit well inside an A500?

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
can you take measurements of the original A500 floppy? if you can i'll compare some drives i have(y)

Elerion

8bitoholic
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Croatia
Region
Zagreb
Nathan is posting me one of his new floppy adapter boards. But I still need to source a PC floppy drive that will fit inside an A500. The biggest problem is that the disk slot needs to align with the slot on the case. I tried one drive but the inserting angle was diagonalized. No go on that one.

Any drives that are known to fit well inside an A500?

Latest Amiga 500's or were they 500plus? :unsure: had standard 2,5mm Chinon FZ-354 drives fitted. They had different brackets that hold the drive in position.

You can try to find these or original FB-354 metalic casing of the A500 drive. Standard drive should fit inside. However, you will still need original A500 extended eject button and try to fit it somehow.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
A good advice is to locate ancient 32mm drives, as they fit perfectly on the height. The eject button can be relocated if needed.

I never see a 32mm drive that cannot be hacked to work on the Amiga, BTW.

hoptoit

Country
USA
Region
Portland Oregon
can you take measurements of the original A500 floppy? if you can i'll compare some drives i have(y)

The whole kit is on the east coast USA with my brother right now, so can't do any measurements. But I the dying OEM drive I took out was the FB-354 by Chinon. It from an A500 Rev6a.

rkauer said:
A good advice is to locate ancient 32mm drives, as they fit perfectly on the height. The eject button can be relocated if needed.

I never see a 32mm drive that cannot be hacked to work on the Amiga, BTW.

Feels like my 2 best options are either adjust the height of a PC drive and mod the eject button, or try to find a 32mm floppy. If you don't mind cutting up your A500 case a bit, check out the solution for relocating the eject button here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=709133#post709133

Top Bottom