Composite to VGA for C64 / Electron, etc...

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
I have this idea going through my head that it might be easier to connect some of my older machines such as the C64 and Acorn Electron to a modern monitor via a VGA box, rather than rely on a TV for using these machines. I am hoping that the quality of the picture will be better that the RF out on these machines, that can be pretty ropey at times.

if I can get this working, I could probably connect the Amiga via this method as well; my Acorn 3020 can connect directly to VGA so with a switcher box and a few adapters I could maybe connect the lot to one monitor and save loads of space.

The C64 and Electron can output Composite video as well as the Amiga, so is this the way to go, and what would be the best VGA box to use for this?

I have a 15" TFT monitor in a fetching shade of retro beige that is going spare just for something like this.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I don't think a perfect solution exists, I use a polaroid lcd television with vga input, it's got a lot of connectors and it is cheap. You'll see the inperfections of the C64 output a lot. (it also has a composyte in and also on the scart)

It's not very good in anything, so if looking for quality daily use, don't buy it.

It costed the price of the convertors brand new.. Enough to play a few games and tests some units.. It is not supportive with the indivision aga, (meaning it does not work)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
Merly

Not sure about a suitable Comp-VGA box tbh as I don't use one but I think Zetr0 has details of a cheap suitable unit.

Regarding the Electron..Composite Output is monochrome by default, you can add the chroma info by closing or bridging a link on the PCB, Even by Composhite's poor quality the Acorn Beeb & Elk are even poorer than the norm as you can tell by the RF, Chroma is very noisy .

If your proposed Comp-VGA box can also handle Analogue RGB I would go down the RGB route & I can provide you with a suitable resistor network to adjust the Electrons TTL Levels to compatible Analogue 0-0.7V levels

TC :)

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
The C64 outputs separate Y/C & using this gives a very good image, why use composite if you have a separate option?

Also, I still havent seen a composite/s-video to VGA box that gives a good enough image, for my taste.
They all lose too much image detail when going from interlaced to progressive.
The cheapest (and common) deinterlacing method is to simply throw away one of the fields, effectively cutting the vertical resolution in half.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Most VGA Boxes that I've tried tend to have washed out colors. You should use the C64 output (Chroma/Luma or Composite) if at all possible. It looks great with composite on my 32" LCD in my office. :)

Heather

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Thanks all,

This is exactly what was running through my head. Looking at the VGA boxes on you-know-where they all don't quite seem to be what I'm after.

Oh well, it was a nice idea while it lasted....

Top Bottom