composyte can it handle two monitors?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
This kind of monitor came to my attention:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini...901689?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item255d0cacb9

Know it could be a nice hack it in monitor for a C64, but I just would like to have it to keep an eye on systems running in composyte, freeing up my main monitor.

How is it going to handle the resolution of a C64 / Amiga 500 ?

Can there be put 2 monitors on one composyte exit? Or can i use the RF modulator in the C64 - RGB on Amiga 500 while this is on.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I am first after the question this monitor and one large one.. so two monitors.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
The CBM Amiga

you can have multiple outputs....

I have an A600 setup here at the moment for Composhite and SVideo out via Nathans (Amiga Mainacs) Adapter - I have it plumbing to my 42" plasma via SVideo and its running fine via my CRT/TFT tuner box (in Compossite) running to SVGA to the LCD monitor.

-

the CBM64 on the otherhand should pump both Composhite out as well RF (Really Foul) out as well.

The unit you have specifed should work quite nicely for the C64 alas there will be issue with the amiga. - although the unit is PAL/NTSC agnostic (and will switch to which ever signal) its limmited to pixel dimension of 480x234 - thus Hi-Res PAL/NTSC will look a little squashed, and interlaced screen will probably not work.

I would suggest an alternative, but it will take a little research on your part.

"think" - portable DVD player =)

most of these units are or have Composhite inputs and will reproduce 640x256 screen sizes

Heres some to consider -

1. PHILIPS PET700 PORTABLE DVD PLAYER - eBay - Buy It Now ££8.99 + £5.99 pnp

Features
  • Picture / Display
    • Display screen type: LCD TFT
    • LCD panel type: Anti glare polarizer
    • Diagonal screen size (inch): 7 inch
    • Resolution: 480(w)x234(H)x3(RGB)
    • Brightness: 400 cd/m²
    • Contrast ratio (typical): 250:1
    • Effective viewing area: 154.1x86.6mm
    • Pixel pitch: 0.107(w)x0.370(H)mm
    • Response time (typical): 30 ms
  • Connectivity
    • Audio output - analogue: L/R cinch
    • Audio output - digital: Coaxial (cinch)
    • Video output - analogue: Video (3.5mm jack) 1x
    • Connector: 2 x 3.5 mm Headphones
    • DC in: 9V

This device is listed as faulty, however the seller states that the OSD (on screen display works) this leads me to believe that the DVD decoding side is dead as it plays audio CD's

2. Avious S2155 Portable DVD player - eBay - Buy It Now (or best offer) £17 + £10 pnp

Features

• 5.6" display

I am sure that if you ask uk / eu sellers nicely they will post at cost to you, however I would suggest that with all things eBay "Buyer Beware" - for your project make sure the screen is working.

I am sure you can find some much cheaper items of the same (or better) on eBay in your local area my friend - as there was atleast 60 units on auction and most finshing quite low for a fully working units.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Zetro,

Ok, nice and complete answer. Thanks!

I don't need to use it as main monitor, so if displays something and I can see the status it is ok for me. (maybe for the C64)

I am looking at this one :(because it is bigger and has 2 inputs)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Newest-Car-7-...Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP

Maybe a stupid questions, but the interlaced modes are they used by games? If it is workbench only no problem, I never use them.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Ooh I might look in the DVD players as well, but I does not look as cool to me as the little monitor ;) Hope no harmed feelings there, but the eye candy .. ;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@jvdbossc

LOL no hard feelings at all my friend - just thought I would give you another option =)

the last screen you linked to, looks like a great bit of kit, it has two AV inputs (one composite and one SVideo) so if you hackup your A520 for SVideo or buy an svideo adapter from AmigaManiac then you should be able to use both the C64 and the Amiga =D

you could easily make a Stereo mixer for the Audio input, - remember the C64 is in Mono and you would need to split it over left and right audio - I would also recommend a 10k ohm on the source in from the C64 and possibly the same on the L/R audio from the Amiga.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Zetro,

That is is Brilliant. Found the same online

Think I can manage LOL:whistle:

Last edited:

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
3.5 inch is going to be much, much smaller than you think it will be, and I suspect you will be disappointed with how it will look. Imagine, a display not much larger than a packet of cigaretters....

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
thanks

thanks

Thanks for the warning, that is why I switched to the 7 inch monitor, remember it is only what is the computer doing monitor, and maybe main monitor for the c64.

I am already upping my paypal for the 7 inch - I think it should do for native resolutions, with all respect workbench and native chipset is not my kind of fun on a normal monitor :roll: I even hated it on original C= monitors. Way to low resolution and refreshing. Deadly for the eyes..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Newest-Car-7-...Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Jurgen, my friend, you can edit the post #7 and wrap {code} around your little schematic/pinout? This way it will look as desired.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Rogerio, you are right, Zetro already gave the right example, I made an image of it. I did not know it was so simple...:whistle: Good one Zetro.

Top Bottom