Connecting External laptop DVD drive to a netbook

easypreacher

Country
United Kingdom
Region
North Devon
Reaching out to all you hardware genii..... is it possible to connect an ex laptop DVD drive to a Netbook through some sort of USB to dvd drive cable arrangement...... am willing to get a soldering iron warm if necessary :)
The dvd drive in question is a Panasonic UJ-840
The Netbook is a Samsung N130
Ta in advance you :ninja:'s

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, here is what i bought for my Acer Aspire One Netbook.
I had to wait just over 1 week for the delivery from China and its a lot neater than just the adapter.
I've tried 4 different laptop drives with it, CDRom, CDRW, DVDRom & DVDRW just to make sure it was compatible with all types of drive and all work perfectly.

Click for Buy it Now

easypreacher

Country
United Kingdom
Region
North Devon
Thanks for all the suggestions guys:)
Scrappysphinx's looks like the best one to get, this is for a friend of mine I want to surprise because he's always moaning about not have a dvd drive on his netbook, and i wouldn't trust him with exposed wires and circuit boards (he's a bit of a technophobe when it comes to looking at the naked bits that make his electronic devices work;))
Thanks again
:bowdown:

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I'm just wondering..

I've been taking apart alot of portable computers to find a slim CD drive for that adapter, but HP, Dell, Acer, IBM/Lenovo and I think it was FujitsuSiemens doesn't have a drive that matches it.

it seems it needs to be a special model for generic computers only.
has anyone else had any luck in finding a drive from a portable ?

Cheers ;-)

Tomse

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
for which adapter tomse?
the one i posted a link to has fitted all drives i've found

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
there might be an extra adapter you have to take off the cd or dvd drive before you find the right one

had that happen on 2 cd drives so far from a laptop but I couldt tell you which make/brand they came out of

thanks scrappysphinx buying one of them now (y)

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I'm talking about the small black connector on the pcb.
thats basically the connector that is used for the CD-Slim to IDE converters I've seen.

but thats not how the connectors look like on the "newer" HP/IBM/Acer/DELL portable I've been tearing apart to scrape for parts :) (don't worry, they are all defective one way or the other)

the Slim CD that you have, can you take a picture of the connector port, then atleast I have something to verify up against.

I have been meaning to add slim cds to my 2 A1200 classics, thats ever since I saw someone here in amibay selling a such.. I was very impressed. :D

edit: @cosmicfrog not these last ones that comes a tad close to maybe be able to connect, I have some much older ones where it seems there are 2 connectors, but afair those ones wouldn't fit at all.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
considdering the CD connector, no.
the one you've posted is the one (of the many fabricants but basically the same) I had in mind to put inside my A1200's..

I have a few models that come close to seem like it fits, but due to how the connector should plug into, I don't see it happening because of plastic in the sides are in the way.

With a simple 4way IDE controller you can make a nice A1200 with IDE to CF adaptor, slim CD adapter (the one you posted) and a slim cd ofc :)

Almost making it a CD32 aswell ;-)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The name of the adaptor is JAE. So look for a JAE connector for any CD or DVD unit.

Top Bottom