Connecting HDD to BPPC Scsi

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Hi all,

As I understand it modern SCSI drives will not connect to BPPC scsi cable. Is there an adaptor I can buy? Either SCSI to SCSI or even IDE? Or do I have to source older SCSI drives?

Thanks, haven't used SCSI since 1997 :s

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The problem exists with 16 bit devices: they need the higher byte terminated as well the lower byte, and 50-pin controllers only have the lower termination.

You need an adaptor that terminates the upper byte part to use the newer device on an oldish 8-bit (50pin) chain on systems with more than one device on the SCSI chain.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
@Wasagi, not sure if I told you already... I use an IO-data SCSI-IDE Bridge and a 40gb PATA HDD on my Bliz SCSI and it works a treat.

The cable I have is Bliz PPC-50pin SCSI and that connects to a 50pin SCSI Cable which connects to my adapter. The adapter plugs into the IDE connector on the Hard Drive.

Its all auto detected and works without the need for extra terminators or anything, the HDD was setup with Classic Workbench via WinUAE.

Steve.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
@Wasagi, not sure if I told you already... I use an IO-data SCSI-IDE Bridge and a 40gb PATA HDD on my Bliz SCSI and it works a treat.

The cable I have is Bliz PPC-50pin SCSI and that connects to a 50pin SCSI Cable which connects to my adapter. The adapter plugs into the IDE connector on the Hard Drive.

Its all auto detected and works without the need for extra terminators or anything, the HDD was setup with Classic Workbench via WinUAE.

Steve.

Hi Steve, I can't seem to find one of these bridges :(

I have found one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCSI-SCA-80-P...uting_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item2a09cbcf1a

Will this let me connect an 80 pin drive to the 50 pin connector of BPPC? Does it need to be powered?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Yeah those SCSi-IDE cards can be difficault to find and/or expensive.

I have two of those adapters if you want one? It also does 68pin drives if you want to use a real SCSI drives you can have of my connectors gratis if you like. After buying a DOA SCSI HDD I'll probably just stick to IDE/CF's as SCSI drives are sooooo noisy (n)

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex

I have two of those adapters if you want one? It also does 68pin drives if you want to use a real SCSI drives you can have of my connectors gratis if you like. After buying a DOA SCSI HDD I'll probably just stick to IDE/CF's as SCSI drives are sooooo noisy (n)

I was planning on getting a 2.5" scsi HD to put in my A1200. You think this is a bad idea? Are they noisy/hot?

Thanks for the offer on the adaptor, but for the price of them a jiffy+postage would probably cost more! Do they need to be powered?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks

I was planning on getting a 2.5" scsi HD to put in my A1200. You think this is a bad idea? Are they noisy/hot?

Thanks for the offer on the adaptor, but for the price of them a jiffy+postage would probably cost more! Do they need to be powered?

Well it can go in the work post for free and I have a pile of Jiffy's ;)

But I don't know if a 2.5in HDD will be quieter, I guess it would. And yes, the adapter needs to be powered - you could power it off the Floppy power cable with a splitter, but for BPPC, BVision, etc maybe a PicoPSU would be better?

Steve.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex

Well it can go in the work post for free and I have a pile of Jiffy's ;)

But I don't know if a 2.5in HDD will be quieter, I guess it would. And yes, the adapter needs to be powered - you could power it off the Floppy power cable with a splitter, but for BPPC, BVision, etc maybe a PicoPSU would be better?

Steve.

Power has started to become a bit of a concern for me tbh. My little A1200 is rapidly expanding. I want to power fans, but they are rated 12v, where will I get such power?

I dont want to put a psu inside the chassis as I want to leave it intact.

If you honestly don't mind sending me one, I'm happy to pay the ebay price to cover your time (I benefit from it arriving quicker!) Id like to try a SCSI HDD.

At the moment I'm having another issue of amigasys not recognising CDs in winuae(actual drive or image) or in the A1200!

The joys of classic computing :D

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Its all fun and games mate, I'm stumped myself with some things and when you start talking PPC's, RTG, Mediators etc, its all quite poorly documented and can be down to trial and error or even luck!

If you haven't, have a good read of the other Desktop PPC threads.

Again its no trouble to send you an adapter, that's what friends are for! No money needed, will post first Class tomorrow or Thursday.

Steve.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Its all fun and games mate, I'm stumped myself with some things and when you start talking PPC's, RTG, Mediators etc, its all quite poorly documented and can be down to trial and error or even luck!

If you haven't, have a good read of the other Desktop PPC threads.

Again its no trouble to send you an adapter, that's what friends are for! No money needed, will post first Class tomorrow or Thursday.

Steve.

Thanks it's appreciated

My Bvision is at the post office atm. I hate to think the fun and games I'll be having with that! Im waiting on heatsinks arriving and will figure out how to power and mount a fan before trying! Long weekend it seems :s

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I have an 80Gb 10'000 rpm 80pin SCSI 2.5" drive sat right here waiting for my 80 pin to 50 pin SCSI adapter to turn up.
I'm expecting head scratching.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Yep, Zetro spotted them I bought us one each, just waiting for the adapters.

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Yep, Zetro spotted them I bought us one each, just waiting for the adapters.

Im going to buy one, just in the listing it says free same day shipping, yet has a shipping fee listed!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hmm, you guys have got me intersted now. I might get one of these for myself, got a linky dinky?

Steve.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I went for the straight 80 pin to 50 pin adapter HERE
Should be with me in a few days so will let you know how I get on.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Does your BPPC scsi cable plug into the adaptor fine?

No the SCSI cable from the PPC plugs into a 50pin SCSI Cable, the adapter is connected to the other end of the regular 50pin cable.

images

Yes, before you say its a lot of damn cables - but I do not know of another solution unless Amigakit can make a custom cable/connector for you...

Top Bottom