Converting Amiga 500 to Amiga 500+

The Khemist

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Hi All

After rescuing some Amiga 1 x 500 and 2 x 500+. 500 is fine. one 500+ no battery leeks at all lucky :roll: battery removed now. Can not say the same for one of the 500+ had major battery leek. :mad:

Had acid all over U12 & U13 all over the audio filter and crept all over the resistors below Gary. I cleaned the lemon juice and IPA to not avail just green screen on boot! :(

So the question is can I move the chips from the dead board to the 500 and convert it to 500+? :dry:

Or is that blasphemy? lol

Tia
The Khemist (Dave)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@TheKhemist

in short - kinda =)

all the chips are interchangeable except the 8375 - 3190544-xx Agnus

The Agnus from the A500+ is pin-incompatable with the agnus socket of the A500, however you can build an adapter board - (you would need to know how to make pcbs etc)

The better idea would be to see if the chips on the A500+ once replaced allow it to boot.

remember that the A500 and A500+ have different Agnii which are pin-incompatible - if you plug an agnus from an A500 into an A500+ or vice versa you will blow them up.

so instead try using the other chips (Paula, Denise, Gary and the CIA's Odd and Even) from the A500 into the A500+.

Remember to clean the sockets of the chips as well - I would suggest an electric toothbrush -

hope that lots help, remember take pic's =)

The Khemist

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Hi Zetr0

Just getting pack in to soldering been awhile lol. as for making PCB's one day eheheh.

The 500+ board that is damaged is in a bad way, looks like most of the tracks have been dissolved tbh. (n) I would take a Pic but my girlfriend has my camera and she is away for another month so. Need to borrow a cam from a friend. When I have some Pic i will post them.

Suppose there is a chance the 500+ board can be repaired have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks for you advice maybe best to leave the 500 as it is. :)

@TheKhemist

in short - kinda =)

all the chips are interchangeable except the 8375 - 3190544-xx Agnus

The Agnus from the A500+ is pin-incompatable with the agnus socket of the A500, however you can build an adapter board - (you would need to know how to make pcbs etc)

The better idea would be to see if the chips on the A500+ once replaced allow it to boot.

remember that the A500 and A500+ have different Agnii which are pin-incompatible - if you plug an agnus from an A500 into an A500+ or vice versa you will blow them up.

so instead try using the other chips (Paula, Denise, Gary and the CIA's Odd and Even) from the A500 into the A500+.

Remember to clean the sockets of the chips as well - I would suggest an electric toothbrush -

hope that lots help, remember take pic's =)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
What revision motherboard is your A500? If it's an 8a, you're in serious luck, since that's just an A500+ in disguise!

Swap in the Denise and Kickstart from the dead Plus and you're away.

If your A500 is an r6, you can do the 1MB Chip RAM hack, detailed elsewhere on this forum. Swap in Denise and Kickstart and you've got a Nearly-A500-Plus.

Good luck!

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The only A500 that can be upgraded to 500+ is the one with motherboard revision 8A (and 8A1, which is practically the same board).

In fact, that version is a crippled 500+ lacking a TTL chip for mux/demux the on-board RAM, four memory chips (4x256k) and the time circuit (not you'll want to stick a battery in there!).

The Denise ECS from A500+ can be used in any A500 or A2000 board without problems.

So, all chips from A500+ are equal to other A500 versions, but Agnus & Denise.

Grabbing a 8A1 board revision is hard, anyway.:(

Cloudane

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Cumbria
In the style of @VizTopTips

AMIGA OWNERS - turn your A500 into an A500+ by simply pouring acid all over the motherboard.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
No, but I strongly advice to all Atari users to do that to their computers(?).:twisted:

Top Bottom