Cooling for a p4

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Hey guys

I don't have a mega PC, its just a single core HT 3.4e ghz with 1.5gig of ram with an ATi x800XT. Its not bad its seems to be playing Crysis on medium without any slow downs yet. But then again I am only 20 minutes into it.

I have a problem with the CPU overheating big time, these run hot anyway. I have a 4000rpm (according to the bios) fan attached to it as well as a fan on the actual case. But after an hour it will freeze on demanding games, will not freeze when not playing but just demanding games. I checked the bios and the board itself is ok temp wise its the CPU hitting 85-90 that is causing it.

I don't want to upgrade or anything as it plays what I want ok, plus I have a 360 for the new stuff. Can I get another fan that has more power? Or shall I just replace the p4 CPU. I can get away with hours of game play by taking the side case off and whacking a big house fan pointed at the CPU :D

Trouble is, is if I am going to be spending 30 odd quid on a new CPU/CPU fan from a hardware website I might as well get a new cpu/mobo bundle.

Not sure how to proceed :S

Thanks for any advice.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
New heatsink/fan and some thermal compound and I think you'll be ok for some time to come - bet you can get a nice big fan (used) on ebay quite cheap :cool:

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
New heatsink/fan and some thermal compound and I think you'll be ok for some time to come - bet you can get a nice big fan (used) on ebay quite cheap :cool:

Hey m8

Thanks for the reply :) I actually did the compound a few weeks back hoping to cure this that way. It shaved it down from 60 to 53 when idle. I am sure you know when doing anything on these p4's they like to get damn hot. So you reckon new fan and heat sink, so I would have to do more compound anyway. Whats the highest rpm you can get for a CPU fan? One I have is 4000rpm. I am also wondering about that AMD 3200+ CPU now, not sure if it would perform the same. I was going to use that as a HD media center for the TV.

Thanks (y)

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Hey guys

I don't have a mega PC, its just a single core HT 3.4e ghz with 1.5gig of ram with an ATi x800XT. Its not bad its seems to be playing Crysis on medium without any slow downs yet. But then again I am only 20 minutes into it.

I have a problem with the CPU overheating big time, these run hot anyway. I have a 4000rpm (according to the bios) fan attached to it as well as a fan on the actual case. But after an hour it will freeze on demanding games, will not freeze when not playing but just demanding games. I checked the bios and the board itself is ok temp wise its the CPU hitting 85-90 that is causing it.

I don't want to upgrade or anything as it plays what I want ok, plus I have a 360 for the new stuff. Can I get another fan that has more power? Or shall I just replace the p4 CPU. I can get away with hours of game play by taking the side case off and whacking a big house fan pointed at the CPU :D

Trouble is, is if I am going to be spending 30 odd quid on a new CPU/CPU fan from a hardware website I might as well get a new cpu/mobo bundle.

Not sure how to proceed :S

Thanks for any advice.

Woah 90c is bad news for any CPU, even if it is a P4.

Suggest some arctic silver 5 and a better cooler pronto! Case fans and reinforcing airflow wouldnt hurt either. Best thing you can do for airflow is try and seal off your case as much as possible. I've dropped 3c just by making sure any open blanking plate spaces are blocked and covering up as many areas as possible that arnt covered by case fans.
Try to create a vacuum with a clear airflow in through front, out at the rear. Side fans are good too and should be blowing outwards.

Ideally you dont want to be going over 65. But really even 60 is pushing it at stock.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Amineo's suggestions are good, also just thinking what sort of case do you have? Perhaps the hot air is just trapped inside.

I changed my case and temps dropped by a lot! And the best thing is a decent case is a good investent because it can be used for your PC's for many years to come.

I bought this case:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165238

My 8800GTS died from heat (it was hitting 90+ under load!) and my CPU was in the high 60's

(This is AMD 4400+ Dual Core CPU + my new GPU is a GTX 260)

Temps now stupidly low + I have a new CPU cooler (Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro)

speedfan.jpg

Also, I don't think you'll see as good performance from the AMD 3200+ it will run cooler though as that Fan was cooling my 4400+ before ;)

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Heres an example of what I mean. Pic is a bit small but it gives the gist.

images

Cool air needs to be brought in at the front and you want to expell as much hot air as possible from the rear. I personally find a larger fan is better than a couple of small ones. It's worth spending a few extra pounds on good fans to keep those temps down! (y)

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

Amineo's suggestions are good, also just thinking what sort of case do you have? Perhaps the hot air is just trapped inside.

I changed my case and temps dropped by a lot! And the best thing is a decent case is a good investent because it can be used for your PC's for many years to come.

I bought this case:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165238

My 8800GTS died from heat (it was hitting 90+ under load!) and my CPU was in the high 60's

(This is AMD 4400+ Dual Core CPU + my new GPU is a GTX 260)

Temps now stupidly low + I have a new CPU cooler (Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro)

speedfan.jpg

Also, I don't think you'll see as good performance from the AMD 3200+ it will run cooler though as that Fan was cooling my 4400+ before ;)

Arctic AC are a great brand, I swear by those and Zalmans!

---------- Post added at 23:47 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

looks like a killer case too (y)

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Guys thanks very much for all the info. I have some reading to do with this lot.

My case is rubbish, it came with a prebuilt machine years ago, so that could be a good place to start :D

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Definately. It's never the first thing you think of when building yourself a new system but you will be amazed at the difference it can make. Case and PSU are probably the most overlooked components.

One last thing I will suggest is my maintenance routein... Clean the system out every 6 months or so. Unscrew / unclip the fan off the CPU cooler and get underneath it to get all the dust out of the heatsink. I recommend using a small, unused paintbrush for this (the kind you'd paint your house with) which should work well on the fans and motherboard too.

Clean vents and any other areas which gather dust.
Be careful of using the hoover as some people do as it can create a lot of component damaging static.

I also replace thermal grease on the CPU roughly once a year.

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
Indeed AmiNeo mine needs doing every 6 months

an artic cooler is a good heatsink+fan combo and it won`t break the bank
theres some cheap solutions out there

in my bios i have set it that if cpu reaches 60c it will shut the machine down

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
'Thats good practice. (y) Most intel chips will automatically throttle themselves when they overheat. The amount of people I've had to deal with whos machines were 'slow', and was all down to an overheating CPU. :LOL:.

A lot of AMD chips (not sure about the newer chips) skimp on the thermal throttling features though so you have to try and find a motherboard which has a temperature sensor to keep an eye on it. I think most decent AMD boards do these days but it wasnt always the case, and your shiny AMD could pop like a piece of corn on a hotplate if the heatsink ever became detached accidentily when the system was running or the boards sensore became faulty. :LOL: This is especially true of the Athlon XP generation. I lost a couple of systems to a CPU popping. One popped so violently that it blew the heatsink off it and into the side of the case :rofl3

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
Yup i agree with the guys, an Arc 7 Pro is about £12 retail and a fantastic cooler for the money, compliment that with a bit of Arc Silver and your good to go. Just provide a thin layer of it as if it`s too thick it`ll reduce it`s effectivness.

Cheers,

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Yup i agree with the guys, an Arc 7 Pro is about £12 retail and a fantastic cooler for the money, compliment that with a bit of Arc Silver and your good to go. Just provide a thin layer of it as if it`s too thick it`ll reduce it`s effectivness.

Cheers,

Cheers guys, I already have my eye on a few cases, then it will be a new fan. I will update this once I have all the bits with new temps :)

Top Bottom