Crazy Prices!

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
It's an oldie but a goodie.

Last week during our Curry and Gamez night, I suggested that the world seems to have gone a little bonkers about retro computer kit.

Without mentioning prices or any specific sites, I have just been browsing looking for speccy bits and the asking price for the 'dead flesh' keyboard speccys has rocketed for some reason.

In fact, fcuk it, if its a computer from the 80's/ 90's and you can put 'Mint' 'Retro' or 'Rare' anywhere in the header it seems to have become a licence to ask silly money for what is effectively old tat!

Now I am fully aware of why this is. Ladies and gents of a certain generation (ie mine) have entered the stage in life where we have a bit of surplus cash, maybe a steady job, and an uncontrollable yearning to play with kit from yester-year. This pushes demand up, and therefore prices.

It just seems that very recently, in the last 6 months, prices for ALL retro kit has sky-rocketed. The days of car boot bargains may be a thing of the past.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Re: Crazy Prices!

It's not just 80's 90's either, I just bought 256Mb PC133 laptop memory for a customer and could have bought 3 x 512MB for the same of current spec. :roll:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

I went to 2 Car booties on Sunday....

all i found was 2 Amstrad cpc464 at two differing car boots, one in reasonable (HOWMUCH!?) condition and the other in very poor condition...

no spectrums.... no commodores..... nothing..... apparently when talking to some of the stall oweners there, theres some guy that goes round really early and buys all the kit like spectrums etc..... no doubt putting it on a certain auction website....

I was really hoping to pickup a specky or two, pity...

And another thing about Car booties of late....

now I can pop into my local Cash Converters and pick up an XBox (original) with 1 controller, leads and 60 day warrenty, however at BOTH the car boots I went to last sunday... they were asking on average 25 - 35% more!!!!!! WTF!?

how can one ask that price?!

1. I can get it cheaper WITH WARRENTY
2. theres NO guarantee it will even work when you got it home
3. No leads or Controllers
4. Unlikely they will be there next time you go if theres an issue!

Bah..... pisses me off!!!

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Not fish as well!! :mrgreen:

Saw a nice condition Mega Drive, in box, no poly's 2 controllers, no games, in Narborough on Sunday morning.

Asked how much they wanted, thinking maybe [enter your own amount here]. Nearly dropped my 3 year old when without any irony the guys asked five times my original thought for it! :shock:

I like my MegaDrives, but not that much, and as Z said there's no guarantee it will work and no come back if it doesn't. Anyone who justifys their asking price at a Boot sale with eBay prices ahould just sell it on eBay instead.
Move along, nothing to see here.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

r0jaws said:
if its a computer from the 80's/ 90's and you can put 'Mint' 'Retro' or 'Rare' anywhere in the header it seems to have become a licence to ask silly money for what is effectively old tat!
Hence, my signature. If it has those words in the title, the person is most likely asking a hefty price. I've been looking for a few pieces of retro gear and I'm willing to pay a decent amount, but some people think this stuff is gold! I wrote to a person selling some stuff on Craig's List and he wrote back asking eBay prices. I'm patient and I can wait for a good deal.

Ciao!

Heather

Top Bottom