Cutting a hole in an a600/a1200 case

Pghulme

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Ok so as the title says I need to cut a hole in my a600 case to add USB ports (from subway/rapid road) I know a few members answer will be that cutting anything into an Amiga case is sacrilidge, but I have a spare a600 case that's in rough shape that is like to test/try it out.

my question is:
where is the best place to cut on the case to add two USB ports
whats the best/neatest way to cut the plastic without looking rough

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Not sure where the best place is, but to cut the plastic: Mark the border of the area you want to remove with a pencil/pen. Then drill the centre out with a dremel/proxxon type drill, staying at least 1mm from the markings using a metal drill bit. Then use a small metal file to fine tune to the markings. Test it against the socket regularly to make sure you aren't going off. In case you overestimated the required hole size.

Bryce.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
+1 for Bryce's advice. I would also add two or three layers of masking tape around the markings, in case the tools glance off or slip during use.

Ed.

BLTCON0

Math inside
AmiBayer
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Region
Chania, Crete
@Pghulme
You might also want to start drilling with the smallest tip then progressively open the hole up, this will relieve strain on the plastic and help against unwanted cracks

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
I usually just use a 4mm bit for everything. If it's a bigger hole, I just cut a track of holes around the edge and remove the middle.

It's also important not to have the drill spinning too fast, otherwise the bit will start melting the plastic around it and can mess things up.

Bryce.

Last edited:

ElectroBlaster

Country
Exeter, Devon
I sometimes crack out an old soldering iron, or have even gone cave man on it by heating up a big fat nail and then literally melting pilot holes, then by using some small precision files, gain the required shape. I find that way far better than going in with power tools! I do this all the time with Plastic and always get good results :)

Exactly how I built a custom backplate for my Kryoflux build & SCSI case. I shall upload a picture soon.

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Yeah, that works fine too, but the house stinks of plastic for a week afterwards and you get serious hassle from SWMBO!!

Bryce.

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
If using drills, HSS drills works best with plastics in my experience. Any size, even a 10mm is no problem as long as you go really slow with the speed and only let it touch lightly. It will just eat slowly through the plastic and leave a nice hole. Using a slightly worn drill makes it even easier.

Drills for masonry will just melt the plastic and not do much drilling while wood drills will just 'bite in' and immediately go straight through, leaving a not so good looking hole.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i found the easiest and most accurate method when using drills for me at least,was to use the smallest drill i can find and work my way up to the size i need.

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Yes, for big circular holes, starting small and increasing is usually the best method. HSS drill bits are best.

Bryce.

Pghulme

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Well I plan on cutting a "USB" size hole, so abou 1cmx0.5cm
any particular file that works best.

Pghulme

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
thanks, ordered a set of the other bay, will give this a go. i do have a couple of spare a600/1200 cases that though i don't want to kill, it won't be a disaster if it all fails. ill keep thee updated :) thanks for all the help

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
Just a word of warning. These metal files go through plastic like a hot knife through butter. Don't apply too much pressure and regularly check that you haven't gone too far.

Bryce.

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
I have a sacrificial 12" steel rule that I clamp along the line I am filing if accessible,good tip I found out
+1 to Bryce and the link

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i just use masking tape and a pencil to mark out where i want to end,fairly easy this stuff for me.

Top Bottom