CV64/3D How do i set it up?

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Okay firstly i'm using an A4000, CSmkII 060 50mhz 128Mb on the CS and 16Mb on the mother board. My CV64/3D has the scan doubler add on as well. I'm using Classic WB Full for Workbench (modified to my liking but nothing major changed).

I installed CybergraphX 3 taking all default options and selecting 060 where possible. On a reboot it get's stuck on the CGX splash screen, I cannot get WB to load to uninstall it and can't tell what I need to change or delete to reverse the installation. Any ideas?

Should I be doing something else here? i've never set up a graphics card before so i'm open to any advice.

Jameson

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
Hi there,

I have several A4000s with similar set ups and the one conclusion I came to many years ago is that Cybergfx 3 is a steaming pile of...... lets not go there.

I found it to be a pig to install and set up, and whilst it ran fine when that had been (eventually) accomplished, I found it to have inferior performance to P96 (in MOST areas, not all) and it was very unstable - for me anyways. Obviously your mileage may vary - some people swear by it.

My advice is to toss Cybergfx 3 (4 is much better but still commercial) and use P96 which has more support, is easier to install and set up and simply works better.

Latest version of P96 - http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Files/Picasso96-2_1.e.zip

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jameson

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
Oh, to get wb to load now that you have Cyber 3 playing havok do the following:

Power on the A4000 whilst holding both mouse buttons to open the early boot menu. Boot with no startup-sequence.

At the prompt, go to your Devs:monitors drawer. Look in there and you will find the new monitor file that Cyber 3 installed. Delete it.

Reboot and you should get to Workbench.

Now delete any other files Cyber 3 has installed and install P96.

Live long and prosper using a better RTG system. :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Don't use the AGA Scalos versions of Classic Workbench with RTG, i.e Full, ADV, ADV SP, they don't work well (if at all) with RTG

If you must have Scalos then you can use the Picasso96 version of Classic Workbench, this was designed for WinUAE so you will need to reinstall Picasso96 and choose CV64/3D during installation and also go to AHI prefs and change from UAE to Paula.

I personally recommend the OS3.9 version of Classic Workbench, IMHO it's better than the 3.1 versions and has the proper Workbench feel you loose with Scalos.

I don't think CGX3 works very well, if you want CGX I suggest version 4 which you have to buy on CDROM otherwise the CV64/3D works just fine with Picasso96 which is free and is easier to setup. CGX4 can be a bit tricky so if you're just starting out play with Picasso96 first :)

Have a look for johnim's guide for setting up screen modes, however if you use an LCD display choose 48khz during installation of P96 and most modes should work out of the box, you'll probably need to re-do the 320x240 mode if you want to use that for Games like Quake/Doom as I had to on my CV64/3D, the other modes, 640x480,800x600,1024x768 work great and you can use johnim's guide to setup 1280x720 or 1366x768 if you have a 16x9 Monitor.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Antti

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu
On a reboot it get's stuck on the CGX splash screen, I cannot get WB to load to uninstall it and can't tell what I need to change or delete to reverse the installation. Any ideas?
Does it boot to WB if you connect your A4000 to monitor using the RGB port? In that case you need to edit the tooltypes in devs:Monitors/CVISION3D and set PASSTHROUGH = YES.

RichyV

A4000 lives once more! A1200 bits are going...
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
Use P96 - I could never get CGX 3 or 4 to do anything but lockup with mine... :mad:

geminister

Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg
I prefer CGX 4 but Picasso96 is good too. They have their own strengths and weaknesses.

UberFreak

AmiBayer
Country
Israel
I use CGX4 with ClassicWB 3.9 (using CV64), install went smoothly & worked right after reboot.
The only weird thing I've not been able to solve is the strange semi-transparent mouse pointer, which really annoys me sometimes.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
I'll get some time over the weekend to have a play with this and see how it goes from there.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Okay I put P96 CWB on my CF card and it boots up fine in my Amiga. I install P96 taking all the options for the CV64/3D and let it copy everything it wants to. On rebooting I get the Intuition is attempting to reset the WB screen error requester but just before WB loads I get another error message in a cli window stating that CVision3D is not executable (the monitor file P96 copied into devs/monitors) but why is this problem occurring? Obviously as a result nothing has changed, nothing new appears in the screen mode lists however CheckBoards in the P96 directory works fine and gives me a lot of information about what the card supports when it's ran so the card is being found no problem. CGFX was uninstalled before I installed P96 (thanks Jameson) and I forgot to try the pass through tooltype tip that Antti suggested before I removed it (duh), if I put it back on I will give it a try.

Any more help please people?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Picasso 96 comes with documentation that will explain all the options during install, something you picked here might be causing an issue.

You also need to setup screen modes and attach the board in Picasso96 mode. Find this in your prefs drawer.

Johnim has done a picture guide on setting up screen modes.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Ok I got CGFX uninstalled and installed P96 in a standard WB3 and it works perfectly. However when I install into my CWB Full install it still says CVision3D (in monitors dir) is not an executable file, then when the scalos screen appears the icons are darkened. If I remove the monitor driver from Monitors then it's all back to normal. The strange thing is that if I put it back to normal, then run CVision3D after scalos has loaded up, it loads without problem and I can go to ScreenMode prefs and set anything I like up to 1600x1200 and it all works perfectly. Does anyone know why it won't work when inserted in the boot sequence but will afterwards and if there is a way to make it work?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
As I said some versions of CWB (Full/ADV/ADV SP) have issues with RTG, you can try disabling some of the installed stuff but I never got it working properly by this method.

Also Full version is setup for 640x200 display so Icons, Igame, etc wont display correctly so as formally advised you should use the OS3.9 version or the P96 version if you want based on WB3.1/Scalos with RTG.

Your other option if you like this Icon set is to install WB3.1, Magic Icons and then RTG and create your own Workbench pack.

Last edited:

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
In a separate problem with 3.9 it refuses to boot on my A4000. Let me explain, hardware: A4000 with 3.1 roms (40.68), either a real hard drive or CF can use either same problem. I have installed 3.9 CWB (also tried plain 3.9), it works fine in my 3.1 A1200. However when I try to boot it in my A4000 it loads up from the boot drive the first time and reboots (to kicks 3.9 rom into memory I guess), but after that it gets stuck in a permanent software failure > reboot loop cycle. I can get to the early boot menu holding the mouse buttons but even trying to boot with no startup doesn't change the problem. The same thing happens booting from a workbench floppy disk as well. Any ideas on that one?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with fitzsteve, consider ditching CWB.
I like it because so much is set up for you to begin with.

Last edited:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Yes, problem there is scsi device of bb2. You can boot with setpatch declaration skipromupdates "scsi.device" it's a common issue. If you use a CF or hdd larger than 4gb or 8gb if you use a scsi direct file system like pfs3 aio you need to patch the scsi device with something else. You can use loadmodule for this with the no reboot declaration in your startup sequence (before setpatch line)

Last edited:

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Yes, problem there is scsi device of bb2. You can boot with setpatch declaration skipromupdates "scsi.device" it's a common issue. If you use a CF or hdd larger than 4gb or 8gb if you use a scsi direct file system like pfs3 aio you need to patch the scsi device with something else. You can use loadmodule for this with the no reboot declaration in your startup sequence (before setpatch line)
Hmm is BB2 installed in CWB 3.9? if not then I do not have it installed, should I be installing it?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Classic workbench 3.9 is installed over clean 3.9 with bb1 and 2. Test it by using the above mentioned setpatch declaration. Do a quick Google search, it's a very common issue.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Okay i got that sorted out and it's booting properly. I added LoadModule in and got all my partitions back as well and installed P96, but it's still refusing to work now it says LoadMonDrvs is not executable. The file will execute normally when not ran in 3.9 on both hardware and uae so the file is fine, just to check though I copied it over again from the CD but it still will not execute. As a result I get stuck on a cli window telling me LoadMonDrvs is not executable, Amidock still loads and comes to the front so I can load Dopus to sort it out again. Is this a common fault also?

Last edited:
Top Bottom