Damn Customers!!!!

niteman1969

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
I work for a large electronics retailer in the uk and am fed up to
the back teeth of customers who come in 3 minutes before closing
and decide they have to have an item now!!

FFS by the time we go to the stock room and get theirr 42 inch tv
and put it thru the till and tape handles to the side or arrange delivery
we have just worked half an hours unpaid overtime.

Shit like this happens every night so 2 and a half hours unpaid overtime
a week or more..... We have lives too and would like to see our families
and friends and have homes to go to.

I wish people would have some f****** consideration.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I thought sellers got commision on the products sold?

To be honest retail has the worst paid - most expected - highest demanding jobs in the market.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I worked in retail for 6 agonising years, personally I would rather tear my own fingernails out than ever go back to it again.

Maybe as a trolley collector. Nothing more satisfying than watching people struggling with their shopping whilst having a snout by the bins, then leaving a huge scratch in the bosses motor.

Happy days. :)

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
I'm with r0jaws on that. I'd rather wake up with my head stapled to the carpet than work in retail these days. I did work for Dixons when I was around 18 or so (many years ago now) for a short time and the expectations were high then - never mind now!

I feel for you mate, but in defence of the customer, they're not to know that you don't get overtime, or commission (or any recognition either probably) for them coming in so late in the day.

Now, go and have a nice alcoholic beverage of your choice - you deserve it :pint:

John

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
I can appreciate where you're coming from but I don't really think it's fair to blame the customers? If the shop is open til the clock strikes the hour a customer should expect to be able to buy a product? TBH I would! :)

It's more a case of your employer is getting the revenue and profit from the sale but not recognising the fact that you have had to work OT to complete the sale. Check your contract of employment, what does it say about working OT? If you're in a union, maybe talk to them about it.

I know it's easy to say this and not so easy to do, so pls don't take it the wrong way, but if you really are fed up with it, why not look for a different job which might be more inline with your expectations?

niteman1969

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Hey mate i understand your point, and i have no problem if you want to come in 1 minute to closing and know what you want to buy, and it is something that is readily available on the shelf.

But who comes in for a tv or computer 1 or 2 mins to closing expect a full explanation
and a purchase lasting up to 30 mins after the shop has closed??

I mean they have the other 9 hours we are open.

And as for a union, get real you can't get the job in the first place unless you sign a
contract that explicitly forbids union activity.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Hey mate i understand your point, and i have no problem if you want to come in 1 minute to closing and know what you want to buy, and it is something that is readily available on the shelf.

I can appreciate your frustration in those circumstances if you're not getting paid extra.

But who comes in for a tv or computer 1 or 2 mins to closing expect a full explanation
and a purchase lasting up to 30 mins after the shop has closed??

I mean they have the other 9 hours we are open.

Could be folks who can only do shopping at those times e.g. other retailers or late workers?

And as for a union, get real you can't get the job in the first place unless you sign a

Interesting. To be honest I'd have thought such a contract would be breaking some kind of European employment law or human right unless it's a foreign company, but even so they usually have to comply with local beurocracy.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@niteman

At this point, I would suggest you keep a work diary of all over hours (before and after shift) including any and all transactions conducted as well.

To be fair I would also suggest that you use this to record all transactions that you complete and assitances you provide to your customers.

In about three months I would then use this diary as leverage for a higher payrise / bonus or promotion -

now - in a legal sense - it is against the law for your employer to actively block your want to be in a union.

have more indepth read here

Right to belong to a trade union
All employees have the right:

• not to be dismissed, or selected for redundancy, for being a member of an independent trade union or for proposing to become a member
  • not to be dismissed, or selected for redundancy, for failing to accept an offer made by their employer with the sole or main purpose of inducing them not to be or become a trade union member
In addition, all employees and other workers have the right:

• not to be subjected to a detriment by their employer, the aim of which is to prevent or deter them from belonging to an independent trade union or from seeking to become a member, or to penalise them for doing so
  • not to be made an offer by their employer where the sole or main purpose of the offer is to induce them not to be, or seek to become, a member
  • not to be subjected to a detriment for failing to accept such an offer

Personally I recommend that you try and be friendly - show your diary and see where that gets you. If you are unhappy with thier efforts you can officially complain, (see your employee handbook) and if you still dont get the resove there are a few trade unions that love this sort of thing.

Have a chat with these people - the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers one of the largest Retail unions in the UK.

I am sure they can help you better than I can =)

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
@ OP

Where do you work again? I'll make sure to visit :D

We like our hardware pr0n around these parts so after arriving in your store 1 minute before closing time I'd expect the full product demonstration and not just on one TV but several of simillar screen size and type

Powerpie5000

Hardware Junkie™
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire

Thats not for the company to decide. I bet it's the kind of company that couldn't care less about their employees and are probably breaking all kinds of rules/laws.

I personally don't bother with unions as i have a very good solicitor with an absolute zero tolerance towards companies that bend or break any kind of rules/laws... why bother with the little people when you can pull out the big guns :D

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
If you work within the Dixons group, I think you'll find that they cannot stipulate against union membership.
I used to be a member of USDAW, you could ask to speak to your Union rep but TBH if this is only an occasional occurance you're not probably going to get very far.
If it happens regularly, then you might have a case.

But I guess you're just wanting to blow off steam, that's cool, we all have cr@ppy days at work occasionally. :)

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
i sympathise with your work problems, the 2 bit company i work for has just installed cctv (to reduce insurance costs) to spy on the work force - hey the camera point straight at us...

as for a union , the company owner has said that he would close our branch of the company if a union was set up there.

Geraldine

Re-discovering Amigas after a bit of an absence!
Country
Scotland
Region
Renfrewshire
There is worse Jobs

There is worse Jobs

Your lucky nightman, I work in the care profession and could get called out at anytime even in the middle of the night. Shift patterns are quite erratic too, 8 to 10 hour shifts starting either at 7am or even as late a 3pm. Sometimes you also have to work right through until the next day on a 24 hour shift. There is no overtime and at the close of the year you get the choice between either getting Christmas or New Year off :blink:

lopos2000

AmiBayer
Country
Somerset UK
I work for a large electronics retailer in the uk and am fed up to
the back teeth of customers who come in 3 minutes before closing
and decide they have to have an item now!!

FFS by the time we go to the stock room and get theirr 42 inch tv
and put it thru the till and tape handles to the side or arrange delivery
we have just worked half an hours unpaid overtime.

Shit like this happens every night so 2 and a half hours unpaid overtime
a week or more..... We have lives too and would like to see our families
and friends and have homes to go to.

I wish people would have some f****** consideration.
I am 100% with you on this one.(y) I work in retail and I hate to do the late shifts. You always get one customer who comes in a minute before closing and just browses never buys anything because they wait for their lift.

Top Bottom