Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Lame!

As some of you know I've been putting off MOT'ing my car the last month or two and finally decided to get it back on the road.

Long story short it failed by a country mile and will cost more then its worth to put back on the road so its ready for the scrap heap.

Probably going to ebay it as spares/repairs as a Mechanic who could do the work him/herself would be able to keep it on the road but at garage prices its game over.

Needs some welding(sills), new shocks, wheel bearing, one wheel is damaged, new headlamp (corroded) and some small bits like wipers.

The Guy estimated £600 its an N Reg car (1996) with 130,000 miles so its worth about 50p

Shame I just put two new tires on it this morning, thats £80 wasted :Doh:

Don't really want to keep using the wifes car now its getting colder as its an old MG and leaks in the Wet weather.

Oh well...

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
horrible ain't it!!

i feel for you bud, what car is it? want me to find out what prices i can get at trade for the parts?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
£600 for all the work isn't actually that much if it is everything needed to get it road worthy and gives it a few more years life. My yearly bill for MOT + service is probably close to that most years anyway.

It isn't actually just the value of the car you need to weigh up against the cost of repairing it. Consider the insurance and tax also. On a newer car you will be paying higher car insurance for sure, plus newer cars have a lot more to go wrong on them. Unless you bought something basic and small engined, then you can actually avoid tax completely, or pay just £35 a year and insurance would be low. But personally I would hate to drive anything with an engine small enough to make it exempt. :LOL:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Its a 1996 (N) Toyota Paseo 2 Door Coupe (quite a rare car in UK so I was thinking of breaking it for parts) Front Screen is cracked but rear screen/heater OK.

Bodywork is OK, a little rust here and there but Doors/Bonet/Boot all OK.

Recent new CAT and Exhaust.

Just stuck two new front Tires on it, wheels are from Mazda MX5, nice wheels shame one of them is buckled, but still might get something got those.

Engine although a high miler is a great runner, always starts first time - had new CAM Belt 3 years ago (100,000) now at about 130k - No Smoke.

New Raditor 1 year ago and I have the new Wheel Bearing already but not on the car.

Thanks for the help mate (y)

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
I was wondering what the hell "scarp" was. :)

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

What tha?! 130k is NOT big km.... well actually it might be for the UK. Most cars over here have over 100k on them by the time they are 5 years old.

Of course, stopping and starting is worse for a motor than continuous kms, so big kms over here is when you get over 200k. I gave away a 97 model Commodore about 2 months ago (gave it to my wifes deadbeat son). It was in perfect running condition, no rust, dents etc, paint almost like new, near new tyres with current RWC... would have been perfect for you. :)

Oh well. Im sure its new owner will have it absolutely thrashed in two months...

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
I feel your pain Steve. I am the king at buying dodgy motors that break every 5 mins.

I am not saying your car is a dodgy motor, but you know what I am saying :)

Good luck

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I was wondering what the hell "scarp" was. :)

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

What tha?! 130k is NOT big km.... well actually it might be for the UK. Most cars over here have over 100k on them by the time they are 5 years old.

Of course, stopping and starting is worse for a motor than continuous kms, so big kms over here is when you get over 200k. I gave away a 97 model Commodore about 2 months ago (gave it to my wifes deadbeat son). It was in perfect running condition, no rust, dents etc, paint almost like new, near new tyres with current RWC... would have been perfect for you. :)

Oh well. Im sure its new owner will have it absolutely thrashed in two months...

Sorry 130k (k) is somthing we put to abbreviate (thousands) 130k = 130,000 and this is 130,000 Miles not KM!

Thanks for the concern though :)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Steve

It's a pity you are so far away, the welding could have been sorted in a jiffy, as I have both Mig and Arc welding gear and am a competent welder. :(

[/pedant on]
130,000 miles = 162,000 km
[/pedant off]

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Thanks Merlin, as you say thats a shame was quoted £80 each side for the welding.

Such a nice bunch of guys here I feel better already :grouphug:

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
:) I knew you mean 130,000 by putting 130k (k for kilo, meaning thousand :)).

I used the same abrieviation - over 200,000 kms is considered getting to large kms, here anywayz.

Most people do about 30,000km per year in Australia, some far more.

If you buy a well looked after vehicle in Oz, say 5 years old, it will probably have about 120-150,000km on the clock.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
my motor has just turned 191000 miles :)

my old BMW 740i did 237000 miles before i sold it 6 years ago and it's still going strong (don't know how many miles it's done since)

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Cars made over the past 10-15 years, mileage does not really mean a thing any more. The problem is how they were treated getting to that mileage.

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
@ Fitzsteve

I feel for you in your plight m8 :(

Look on the bright side though.....

Attachments

• oh dear.jpg
    oh dear.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 3

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Lame!

As some of you know I've been putting off MOT'ing my car the last month or two and finally decided to get it back on the road.

Long story short it failed by a country mile and will cost more then its worth to put back on the road so its ready for the scrap heap.

Probably going to ebay it as spares/repairs as a Mechanic who could do the work him/herself would be able to keep it on the road but at garage prices its game over.

Needs some welding(sills), new shocks £35.91 Inc VAT, wheel bearing you already have one?, one wheel is damaged new set with tyres on t'otherbay MX5 £150 for the set, new headlamp (corroded)£14.99 on t'other bay and some small bits like wipers.£3 each

The Guy estimated £600 its an N Reg car (1996) with 130,000 miles so its worth about 50p

Don't really want to keep using the wifes car now its getting colder as its an old MG and leaks in the Wet weather.

Oh well...

get him to quote for fitting and welding only

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Lame!

Needs some welding(sills), new shocks £35.91 Inc VAT, wheel bearing you already have one?, one wheel is damaged new set with tyres on t'otherbay MX5 £150 for the set, new headlamp (corroded)£14.99 on t'other bay and some small bits like wipers.£3 each

Oh well...

get him to quote for fitting and welding only

Thanks mate, I've already been on the other bay looking at parts. The guy said they may be able to staighten the buckled wheel.

I'll have a chat with them when I go in to pick it up - I know another mechanic who does 'cash' jobs so maybe I can get it done cheaper now I've had some time to think about it.

Was quoted £80 for each side for welding so £160 not sure on fitting the other bits will ask.

Thanks for the advice.

Peter

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Kent
Sorry about your situation Steve, cars are so expensive - I have just forked out over £300 this week on my old Astra and the Road Tax is due soon... hooray! - I try and use my Bike now every day but... it's getting colder and wetter so it isn't much fun...

Oh well... such is life...

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
Most people do about 30,000km per year in Australia, some far more.

I'll easily double that and some more, I do around 70000km a year.
My new company car is from 09-10-09 and yesterday a full year futher I reached almost 69000.
My car is write off after 3 years or 180000 km and I'll probably reach the 180K mark earlier than 3 years, it's been quite at best and now it's picking up again.
After 3 years the first MOT comes, but by that time like I said it's probably a write off.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Update...

Update...

Having a 2nd opinion on my car from a Mechanic I have used before, maybe he can get the labour down to £250 inc the Welding and I supply the other parts.

I already have the bearing so I need:

Bulbs - £1 each
Wipers - Wilko £3 each!
Numberplate - £10?

I can fit those myself.

Wheel (watching some auctions) but found Matching one BIN with tyre £66
Bearing - Already have
Front Shock £30 Used £43 New + P&P (ebay)
Headlamp £24.99 + P&P (used - ebay)

I think it might be worth getting her back on the road!

Taking the car to the Mechanic tomorrow so he can assess the Welding Job.

Steve,

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Potteries
fingers and toes crossed for ya

but for some reason Ive got an image in my minds eye of a red and white checkerd paint job that should be done to it as well ;)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
fingers and toes crossed for ya

but for some reason Ive got an image in my minds eye of a red and white checkerd paint job that should be done to it as well ;)

Thanks mate, I'm taking the Car in tomorrow for the Quote on the Welding - keeping everything crossed. If the quote is good then will get that and the Wheel Bearing done tomorrow search breakers yards/ebay at the weekend for the other bits.

Really I hope I can have it back on the road before R3tr0 R3play so I don't have to put anyone out!

Boing Ball paint job will have to wait till next month!

Top Bottom