resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
main pc just committed suicide:(

not a happy chappy,went down to make a drink came back up,blue screen of death....main drive failure,crap...

good job ive got a laptop,still im ****ed as all my stuff was on the main boot drive:mad:

Pghulme

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
A pretty sure there's some condescending comment about "backing up your data" coming, feel bad for you though, been there myself

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
Is the drive completely dead Roy ? or does it have the click of death ?
If it has life you may be able to recover the partition with software

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
Always Make Back up as that is very important as you dont know hard drive life span as anythings could happen!

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
And there's the comment!

I'm migrating my old desktop to a new one as we speak. I bought a new desktop months ago and decided that today was the day. I've been getting a heck of a lot of screen artifacts lately, so I suspect that I have a RAM issue.

What's the make and model of the drive? Seagate drives sometimes just need to be re-flashed...

Retro-Protect

Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
I'd take it out, use a drive enclosure on your laptop and run a CHKDSK on it. You might be able to get files off it. Then chuck it!

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
back in a bit i want to try something...

Pghulme

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
back in a bit i want to try something...

turn it off and on again?

although i have found that sometimes if you catch a hdd just as its dying you have a little time to salvage its contents.

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
drive is knackered...but i reckon i can get the important stuff off it or at least some of,ill have look and see if i have another sata drive anywhere...

ill use the laptop for now its no big deal

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
I remember asking the very same thing! :) I tried resurrecting a Seagate that had lost its firmware awhile back via the onboard serial port. The patient died anyway (it was pretty dead when I got my hands on it), so it won't necessarily work. But it's worth a look-see to see if it's possible.

As for the progress with my migration, I gave up on the damn Buffalo Linkstation (I only have Linux on this machine, and the LS doesn't want to play nice) and bought a 5TB external. I picked up an internal USB 3.0 card that I'll install to make things a bit speedier. Now if Linux supports the 3.0 card (it probably does), I'll be all set.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
nah,its not a firmware problem with mine its just a case of its an old drive in an old computer...it was going to die/wear out anyway.
computer is always on,i wont turn it on again now until a get another drive to format.
ive already had it boot back up once yesterday...ill leave it be until i get another drive.ill go find the os cd in the meantime and the backup of the drivers.

RuneRider

A1000 Keeper of the Faith
Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
Try booting up with a Spinrite disk and let it take a look.

Top Bottom