Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife
As a believer in the infinite parallel universe theory, I can be safe in the knowledge that somewhere in space-time, David's plans came to fruition and the dominant (but benevolent) worldwide force in computing is Amiga...

:)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
That was a great interview, and sad to read these days, because it clearly shows how much David Pleasance knew about Commodore, the Amiga, and the Amiga products he had, as well was what was in development. I'm sure some of those quotes about the future products in development were figures pulled out of a hat, but if they were what was really in development we missed out on something very special with the future of Commodore that never was.

Now imagine having a time machine and being able to obtain enough money to go back into time to the point where Commodore UK needed the funding to secure the buyout and their future, and being able to make it happen. You would end up being the new owner of the Amiga, and it would continue hopefully into the present day.

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
That's a really good read. It's a shame that the UK buyout didn't happen, but I suspect there was quite a lot of underground deals involved to actually finalise the deal...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I think it finally came down to money, and the UK team just didn't have enough to secure it.

Escom didn't exactly do much with it either though, just starting up the A1200 assembly lines and reselling the existing product. And they made the mistake of trying to go it alone, opening up loads of stores up and down the UK and eventually over stretching themselves and going the same way as Commodore. If they had stuck to selling their products in other's outlets it might have worked.

chiark

AmiNerd
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
I think escom were too ambitious and didn't manage their debt/cashflow properly. Their model was to open stores, and it worked in Germany somewhat :) - that's what built their business to the point that they could buy commodore.

But running shops and running commodore are completely different activities...

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Heh. I shook hands with that fella @ C= in Berkshire many moons ago. :D

Kin

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
LOL m8. Can't you read?
I was dropping an A2620 in for repair & he waltzed through the main Reception Foyer whilst I was waiting for someone to come & meet me from Engineering. I'm sure he could still feel Kelly Sumner's remaining warmth as he shook my hand only 2 weeks into the job.

Kin

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
And don't forget... "We didn't sell computers, we sold dreams". :dry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom