Not open for further replies.

Justin

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Dell Axim X5, with bluetooth, GPS adaptor, 512Mb SD card, carry case, original stylus, pocket pc windows 2003, original charging stand, works a treat (you will need your own Sat Nav software)

some info

Design
Equipped with a 400MHz XScale processor, 48MB of ROM and 64MB of RAM, the Axim X5 has plenty of processing power and storage available. On top of that, the unit bristles with ports and slots. However, all those components make the X5 a bit bulky -- the unit measures a healthy 8.15cm by 12.8cm by 1.8cm and weighs in at 196g. This handheld is too large to slip easily into most pockets, especially when stowed in its protective case. The 16-bit (65,536-colour) transflective display measures 3.5in. diagonally and offers the standard 320 by 240 pixel resolution. You can navigate the Axim X5's menus via the five-way button below the screen or using a scroll dial on the unit's side. Power users will appreciate the fact that both CompactFlash Type II and Secure Digital (SD)/MultiMedia Memory (MMC) card slots are provided, and that the Li-ion battery is not only rechargeable but also removable. A rechargeable backup battery safeguards against data loss while you're switching out the main cell. A few features differentiate this Dell from its competitors. The sides of the handheld have rubber strips, making the unit easy to grip, and the record and reset buttons actually reside beneath the rubber. Two rubber feet on the back of the Axim keep it from sliding around when it's placed flat on a desk or a table. The unit's aluminium stylus has an attractive flattened design, although it's a bit awkward to use at first. The Axim X5's futuristic docking cradle gives the device a bit of pizzazz. When the device is in its cradle, a blue Dell logo shines from behind its semi-transparent, silvery surface. But the cradle doesn't put form over function: it recharges the handheld and connects to a PC via a USB cable, just as you'd expect. The cradle can also accommodate the Axim X5 with a higher-capacity battery installed, and it has a second slot for charging up a spare battery. A separate USB cable is provided for syncing the unit independently of the cradle.
Features
Internally, the Axim X5 resembles many of its competitors. Its 400MHz processor, 48MB of ROM and 64MB of RAM are par for the course in the latest Pocket PCs. Likewise, the unit's 3.5in. TFT display and Pocket PC 2002 operating system are standard. There's actually nothing special about any of the X5's other hardware features, except for the fact that there are so many of them. As mentioned above, the unit has both CompactFlash and SD/MMC expansion slots. And although the X5 doesn't include cutting-edge technology such as built-in Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, the dual slots provide two different ways to add memory or peripherals. Dell has a range of peripherals in the works, too. More mundane add-ons include fancier protective cases; two different kinds of keyboards; screen protectors; and extra styli, cables, cords and cradles. For expansion, you can expect CompactFlash and SD memory add-ons, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi cards, as well as a higher-capacity battery. On the software side, Dell keeps it simple with a minimal package, but includes a couple of tailor-made programs. Home is simply a file-explorer-style program prettified with a bubble motif. The Switcher Bar puts a small tray of three icons onto the top bar of the screen: one gives you quick access to battery information; another takes you to screen-brightness and backlight settings; and the third activates a drop-down menu that lets you view all running programs, switch among them and close any or all of them with a single tap. Along with Microsoft Outlook 2000 and ActiveSync 3.5, the software CD includes a bunch of different programs to add to your Axim X5. A closer look reveals that most of these applications are either already installed or are demo/trial versions. However, you do get a PowerPoint viewer called IA Presenter and Resco Picture Viewer, which are nice bonuses.
Performance
Across the categories of processor, sound, screen and battery, the Axim X5's performance ranged from satisfactory to outstanding. Considering that the X5 has a 400MHz processor, we expected better performance than we got, although many programs have yet to be optimised for this CPU. For example, playing Hexacto Bounty Hunter 2099 Pinball was frustrating: the system would occasionally pause for a split second, and the ball would suddenly appear elsewhere on the screen -- usually heading for the drain. Using PocketTV, the X5 played back MPEG video smoothly, except for fast-action scenes, where it dropped frames. However, the device had no problem juggling multiple programs and switching among them with minimal lag time. The Axim X5 has a 16-bit colour, 240-by-320-pixel resolution screen. Beyond the specifications, we found the display to be bright, pleasing and easy on the eyes. The screen doesn't have very high viewing angles, but the colour and the brightness are uniform. Battery life is the Axim X5's particular strength -- Dell rates it at 8 - 10 hours, and we were amazed at how long the cell held up in our tests. Using Microsoft Media Player with the screen set to halfway bright, the X5 played MP3s for 6 hours -- 22 minutes before the music cut off. However, the battery still had 16 percent of its charge left, and even though the unit could no longer play tunes, it lasted another hour before shutting down. The total battery life added up to only about 40 minutes shy of Dell's rated time.
Specifications

Audio Audio input microphone Audio output speaker, headphone jack Connectivity / expansion Docking cradle Yes Wired connections USB Wireless PAN infrared Expansion slots SD/MMC, Type II CompactFlash Display Display type transflective TFT Display size 3.5 in Native resolution 240x320 pixels Colour depth 16 bits Input devices Touchscreen Yes Stylus Yes Navigation button/wheel Yes Memory Memory expansion CompactFlash, SD/MMC Installed ROM 48 MB Installed RAM 64 MB OS & software Operating system Pocket PC 2002 Software included Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Voice Recorder, Notes, Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, Pocket Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player 8.5, Calculator, Solitaire, Microsoft Reader, File Explorer, MSN Messenger, Terminal Services Client, VPN Client, Infrared Beaming, Clock, Align Screen, Memory Volume Control, Transcriber, Graffiti, Backup/Restore to Memory Card, Home, Switcher Bar, companion CD includes a range of extra and trial/demo programs Synchronisation software ActiveSync Desktop software Outlook Host PC system requirements PC with Windows 98/ 98SE/ME/2000/XP Power Battery type Li-ion Number of batteries 1 Claimed battery life 8 h Processor Processor Intel XScale PXA250 Clock speed 400 MHz General Dimensions (W x H x D) 81.5x18x128 mm Weight 196 g

£10.00 plus P&P

cheers

Attachments

• dell axim.jpg
    dell axim.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Brian

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
I'm interested if shipping isn't too high. Can you find out approximate cost to send to US? Thanks!

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
If it's too expensive shipping wise for Brian then I would like it Juvvy ole bean.

TC :)

Justin

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
prices to the states via royal mail

http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/P...ctCarrier=RM&catId=23500532&keyname=1&index=4Airmail Letters From 5 days Up to £41 No £21.19Airmail Printed Papers From 5 days Up to £41 No £15.67Airmail Small Packets From 5 days Up to £41 No £15.67International Signed For From 5 days Up to £41 Within UK £25.44International Signed For Printed Papers From 5 days Up to £41 Within UK £19.92International Signed For Small Packets From 5 days Up to £41 Within UK £19.92Airsure From 4 days Up to £41 Delivery Confirmation £26.09Airsure Printed Papers From 4 days Up to £41 Delivery Confirmation £20.57Airsure Small Packets From 4 days Up to £41 Delivery Confirmation £20.57
Surface Mail From 56 days Up to £41 No £14.66Surface Mail Small Packets From 56 days Up to £41 No £8.98International Signed For Surface Mail From 56 days Up to £41 Within UK £18.91International Signed For Surface Mail Small Packets From 56 days Up to £41 Within UK £13.23
ummm, well this is the list that comes from the Royal Mail website

@TC, indeed good sir you are next in line after Brian :)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Rating - 100%
232   0   0
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
prices to the states via royal mail

Airmail Letters From 5 days Up to £41 No £21.19 Airmail Printed Papers
From 5 days Up to £41 No £15.67 Airmail Small Packets From 5 days Up to £41 No £15.67 International Signed For From 5 days Up to £41 Within UK £25.44 International Signed For Printed Papers From 5 days Up to £41 Within UK £19.92 International Signed For Small Packets From 5 days Up to £41 Within UK £19.92 Airsure From 4 days Up to £41 Delivery Confirmation £26.09 Airsure Printed Papers From 4 days Up to £41 Delivery Confirmation £20.57 Airsure Small Packets From 4 days Up to £41 Delivery Confirmation £20.57 Surface Mail From 56 days Up to £41 No £14.66 Surface Mail Printed Papers From 56 days Up to £41 No £8.98 Surface Mail Small Packets From 56 days Up to £41 No £8.98 International Signed For Surface Mail From 56 days Up to £41 Within UK £18.91
International Signed For Surface Mail Printed Papers From 56 days Up to £41 Within UK £13.23
International Signed For Surface Mail Small Packets From 56 days Up to £41 Within UK£13.23

My God..... What a choice :LOL:
Now which one shall I choose :LOL:

Cheers Juvvy
TC (y)

Brian

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
Options are good :)

I think I'll have to bow out of this one. 54 days seems a bit long to wait and the shipping costs are just too great. I was hoping this would be one of the cheaper items to ship. Maybe next time! Thanks for checking, Juv

Nathanieltolbert

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I have one that looks kinda like that. It's an X3 though. I don't know much about it. My last boss gave it to me, and it has sat un-used for approximately 4 years. I only used the thing while I was working to keep track of the tasks I had for the day. I didn't know there was much else you could do with the thing.

Justin

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
@Nathan,
i don't know much about the x3, but the x5 has pocket windows 2003 which includes word, outlook and explorer (yes you can surf the net. it will rum Tom Tom software happily, it syncs to your pc for emails, appointments etc, there are games and even some emulators out there for it.
all in all it's quite a trick bit of kit.

@TC,
PM sent m8

Brian

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
The X3 is pretty nice, too, but the X5 Juv has shows it as a BlueTooth unit. That's the main reason I was looking into it. I have an X3 that I use on an on-again-off-again basis. I've got a 2 GB SD card in it. Music playback is pretty good and there are many types of apps available.

[Edit] Meant to say that the X3 also runs Pocket PC (or Windows Mobile, you see it both ways) 2003.

Last edited:

Nathanieltolbert

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Mine has the wireless module and something else, but I don't remember what. Like I said, it was given to me by my previous boss and I don't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom