discovering the world through a mac

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
NoordHolland, Far side of civilisation's border.
Dear All.

i am trying to master this here ancient beige G3 with 0s 9.2 (soon to be 7.5).
As you might know i am in no way trying to hide my noobie-ness, so if you feel like blurting out "rtfm", be my guest, just point me to a comprehensible F****** Manual.
At this moment i am trying to gain acces to a folder on a windblows machine, or to be more specific, a shared folder on it that contains index.html.
Goole says: in finder, press go and point to the server.
If i understand correctly, finder is what displays the desktop and it doesnt seem to be doing anything else on my machine initially.
When crawling through my harddisk, topbar does seem to change a bit, yet there is not a go to be found.
Internet Explorer For Apple is installed and working, still no go ;(
Typing ipadress or servername with the shared folder into the adressbar returns "the specified server could not be found"....this does work from my win2000 laptop, does apple have some security settings related to this?.
I am working on building a "install os 7.5.3 with updates"-cd to bring the machine back to factory settings.
Few sidenotes...os seems to be quite stable, dunno how bad/well former user configured inner workings of the machine.
Clock flips a bit if machine is powerless for too long.
I did open the case for dustcontroll & disktests, didnt get around to searching for a battery yet.
Onboard scsi accepts harddisk and cdr.
Build in scsi zipdrive seems defective.
Anyways, i am having great fun with this machine ;)

Grtz, PymerOne.

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Does this mean you found a mouse and keyboard finally mate?

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
@Pymerone,

I've no experience with Macs :oops: but have you tried typing in something like:

\\servername\sharedfoldername\

Does your router need to be set up to allow access between your hosts?

...and is the go button just to the right of the entry field, like a search engine arrow button or something like that?

Last edited:

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
@Salaxi54: yeppers, i was given a adb keyboard&mouse combo from an broken Mac Performa 5300, works like a charm ;)
@Ed.D: i have tried this, \\servername\sharedfoldername\ or even \\ipadress\sharedfoldername\ doesnt connect.
When i do the same thing on my w2k laptop it works so i kinda think its a apple prob, not a router prob.
Internetaccess is ok.
Have to look into sharing something on the apple and trying to access that from a xp box for further testing.
I did successfully attach a scsi cdr to the machine, burned a os 7.5 disk.
Now i have to make a bootdisk that will allow me to remove all traces of os9.2 from the machine, and setup os7.5 from cd.
Dunno what to do yet with the (broken?) internal scsi zipdrive.
Also i have to look into the rtc, hope the battery is just empty, and not leaking.
Anyways, its great fun wrestling this new-to-me machine to good health.

Grtz, PymerOne.

danhans115

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Leeds
isnt the problem that the index.html is on a windows share?

But by just pointing to that folder in internet explorer on a mac wont work, its trying to connect to a webserver with that address, not a windows fileserver.

So what you need I guess is a client for microsoft networks type thing? Or samba?

I know on a OS-X machine you just go to connect to server.

then in the address box put CIFS://serverip/share..

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Maybe your solution resides in the form of third-party software, not sure.
But i can recommend a utility (commercial) named DAVE. Although i'm not sure you'll find a version that old to cooperate with your OS.
Here's some related reading by the way for PC <-> Mac situations!
http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/pc2mac.html

korruptor

Country
UK
Region
Fife
Yeah, really old macs used a different protocol to share files than contemporary Windows machines (same's still true today, technically) so you need Dave, or an equivalent.

Dave's great, but I've no idea if you can still get a copy. That's proper old school :D

Alternatively, just setup an FTP server on the windows machine and FTP to it from the mac. Those older Unix protocols are easy to use, reliable as hell, and supported by most OSes...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Older Macs used AppleTalk for networking, and this was not compatible with a standard ethernet Windows network. The Mac needed to have some software installed to allow it to connect to a Windows network using Windows NetBIOS over TCP/IP services.

The networking utility Thursby's DAVE was indeed what used to be needed to connect a Mac to a Windows Ethernet network in this way. You can download a version fo Mac OS 8.6- 9.2 from the official site http://www.thursby.com/evaluations/legacy-versions.html

For detailed information and tutorials on networking Macs and Windows networks together, take a look at http://www.macwindows.com/tutorial.html

PymerOne

Noob pur sang
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands, Europe
Region
@ All: wow thanks for all your input ;)
I will look into DAVE (yikes, $88 for a license!!).
Samba does ring a bell.....i seem to remember installing it numerous times in the '95 era on widblows officemachines, though this could be a case of severe nametheft.

Grtz, PymerOne.

Top Bottom