Do all games play properly using a TF536 accelerator in an A500?

jeffko

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
Hi everyone,
As I said in my intro, I'm back into the retro scene again with an A500. I'd like to be able to use hard drives, or hard drive like CFs, have a mem expansion, and an accelerated 500... I've been reading lots on the PiStorm and it's negative feedback on running the original Amiga Games... I'm interested in the TF536... is this a good option for me? Assuming I want to run AmigaOS 3.2, etc.? Also does all of the original Amiga software run on AmigaOS 3.2 as well? Sorry, forgive me for asking this, I've had years to become amiga stupid.

Thanks
J

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
WHDLoad is your friend for playing games and Demos.

Aeberbach

Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
Pretty much every hardware modification has its issues with software that makes unwise assumptions, right back to the original A500 trapdoor memory expansion. I have a TF1230 which is pretty much a TF536 for the A1200 - WHDLoad has the occasional game that doesn't load and maybe I could make them load if I looked into it further but there are very few that don't just run first time.

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
i would go for the TF card,, ram+CF hd.
most whdload games have patches in them to overcome various issues.

I have tried a pistorm and would suggest that is great for certain things, but very flakey for others.

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
@bazzaq depending on when it was you tried the pistorm, and if you used emu68 or Musashi really does defines ones experience somewhat. In my opinion emu68 is the far better choice of the 2. It has also been improved upon and still receives updates, where as Mushashi does not as far as I know.

Last edited:

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
i ran a caffienos image. which i believe is emu68.
on an a1200.
i will probably give it another go when i put the 1200 back together.

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
I tried the caffeine os for a while but that wasn't for me. I now use the pistorm32 purely as an accelerator.

@jeffko below is an excellent guide if you want to try out emu68 and use the pistorm purely as an accelerator or build your own os without using pre built distros.

Or just grab the caffeine os and give that a try and see what you like best. I highly recommend trying it out for yourself.

TF536 still a good alternative, it really depends on your budget and what you prefer.

jeffko

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
I tried the caffeine os for a while but that wasn't for me. I now use the pistorm32 purely as an accelerator.

@jeffko below is an excellent guide if you want to try out emu68 and use the pistorm purely as an accelerator or build your own os without using pre built distros.

Or just grab the caffeine os and give that a try and see what you like best. I highly recommend trying it out for yourself.
TF536 still a good alternative, it really depends on your budget and what you prefer.

thanks I'l check it out.

Top Bottom