Do you know the history of these unusual titles?

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
I have been trying to get the history on these three titles... they are obviously very early Amiga titles, A1000 era, but are in a really nice but strange fold out sleeve... about 10" square, similar to how records used to be merchandised.

I cant find anything on-line that describes anything similar and having asked around I've drawn a blank.

Any info appreciated, good news is 30 years on all the disks work great :D

P5169609.jpg P5169610.jpg P5169611.jpg P5169612.jpg P5169614.jpg

Bryce

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Nordrhein Westfalen
If it's the sleeves you find unusual, they were actually quite common back then. Especially for C64 games.

Bryce.

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Yeah I have loads of C64 games in these sleeves, especially war sims and strategy games but Ive never seen any Amiga software packaged this way, just wondered whether they came with a particular system bundle or something :)

DutchinUSA

AmiBayer
Country
Unites States
Region
Wisconsin
Think I have at least 4 amiga games packaged like that and I dont own a ton of amiga games, maybe 40-50 at the most. You see them come up for sale on the other bay off and on, dont seem to be that rare in general, not sure if certain titles in that packaging are rare :cool:

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Thanks mate.. I did wonder if they were US versions. Not bothered if they are rare etc as I'm not selling them... just curious as having been buying games for Commodores since the VIC its not something I had ever seen before :)

DutchinUSA

AmiBayer
Country
Unites States
Region
Wisconsin
Same here, I didn't see them growing up (in Netherlands). I think they are quite cool ;) mmm I think they would actually look pretty good hanging on the wall ... Now, what did I do with that empty wall space? .... LOL

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
i have/have had these (Adventure Construction Set is one of my favorite RPG making tools), there were a bunch of these, both single-sleeve and folded sleeve ones, i also have Lords of Conquest, Heart of Africa, Seven Cities of Gold...one of my other favorites that came like this was Starflight...

I think Music Construction Set, Racing Destruction Set and EA Movie Maker came in this format.

also i think most of the Bards Tale series were in this format.

i have seen many of these for C64 and Amiga, also PC (a little more rare) and iirc Apple and Atari ST

most of them are titles from EA, and seem to be more common with C64 titles (didnt take much room on shelves, and remember seeing them sold on rotating wire stands, not unlike paperback books used to be)

i also recall some 'digital comic books' put out in this format

i have no idea if they were more common in North America or not, but they were fairly common back in the day (at least, apparently, with EA titles)

Archon also springs to mind...

Last edited:

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Brilliant thanks for that, so sounds like they were not part of a promotional bundle or anything, just early packaging as publishers swapper over from 8 bit to 16 bit... another mystery solved :)

HiroProX

Country
United States
Region
Texas
That was normal EA packaging at the time regardless of platform. My copies of Music Construction Set for the Amiga and Pinball Construction Set and Archon for the Atari 8-bits all came in that packaging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
i kind of believed it was...at least here in North America anyways, i never had/saw any for Atari 8-bits, but then, very few people i knew had a 400 or 800 back then

certainly most (all? - i just cant really recall that far back :p ) of the C64 ones were in that format....in fact, in many cases (like ACS) they re-used the sleeve and just put a different sticker on it (the graphics on the back of the Amiga version of ACS, which did have superior graphics...just appear to be the C64 version)

Top Bottom