Does anyone has experience with tape loading on the Oric Atmos?

tbtorro

As you wish.
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sjæland
This is a mystery kind of: I can't get tapes to load on my Oric Atmos. The same tape player works fine on a Spectrum, and I also can hear (rather loud) the data through the Oric's speakers. Still the Atmos doesn't react to any of it - stay in perpetual "Searching.." mode.

What is interesting is that I tried to save a short demo program, and the Atmos only seem to output a single and rather short "Beep" to the tape and returns to "Ready" in about 5 seconds. And of course it won't load the saved data back.

Has anyone some experience with the Atmos and how tape loading works, and what are the caveats? Before I take it apart to test the hw...

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
are you using slow mode to load in software or fast mode?

im not sure what that means when its mentioned in the service manual,i thought it was the standard cload command.
but it was mentioned,and the slow mode was better for loading commercial software from tape...

Last edited:

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
Bas upgraded my Oric 1 with the ATMOS ROM and I can get it working 100% using tap2wav converting the TAP file to 11Khz WAV files and playing it back via Windows Media Player with the volume set to 80% on my old XP laptop.

P1050318.jpg

Last edited:

tbtorro

As you wish.
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sjæland
are you using slow mode to load in software or fast mode?

im not sure what that means when its mentioned in the service manual,i thought it was the standard cload command.
but it was mentioned,and the slow mode was better for loading commercial software from tape...

I'm using slow mode. That is the ordinary CLOAD"" command

- - - Updated - - -

Bas upgraded my Oric 1 with the ATMOS ROM and I can get it working 100% using tap2wav converting the TAP file to 11Khz WAV files and playing it back via Windows Media Player with the volume set to 80% on my old XP laptop.

View attachment 88915

How long does it take usually to get the oric to find the first program? That is to display the name? I'm fairly familiar with the Spectrum loading sounds but not with the Oric's. I did play the tape at least for a minute but it just says "Searching"

tbtorro

As you wish.
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sjæland
OK managed to figure this one out. Looks like I had a wrong casette cable. In fact it wasn't a casette cable at all but an audio cable to connect the oric to a stereo.

For reference the mono jack plugs were connected to "Sound" pins on the Oric side (pin 4 and pin 5). What is interesting that it seems the Oric "Sound" port functions both ways, because when connected to a tape player the data was very clearly audible through the Oric's speakers.

After re-wiring the DIN plug to connect the jack leads to "Tape in" and "Tape out" (pin 3 and pin 1 respectively) all tapes are loading just fine! :)(y)

So this can be closed I guess.

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Alresford
Oh, does the Atmos allow you to output the sound rather than use the internal speaker?

tbtorro

As you wish.
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sjæland
Yes it does, as described above pin 4 and 5 on the casette port is sounds output (and apparently input too :) ) of the speaker. Mind you this will not suppress the internal speaker, only outputs the sound. Some more inside hackery is needed to mute the speaker.

Last edited:
Top Bottom