Does anyone remember this happening??

RichyV

A4000 lives once more! A1200 bits are going...
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
From Amiga Computing (Jan '92)... :eek:

Amiga Saddam.JPG

BMT

Country
England
Region
Cumbria
Were viruses ever a major thing on the Amiga? I never remember anything like that!

Paul_s

decrunching
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I helped a friend of mine with that virus around 1991. It had infected a lot of his disks sadly and I was there most of the evening cleaning them up! :blased:

stephenfalken

Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
While I don't remember that specific virus, I did pickup a few along the way back in the Amiga days.

They weren't considered particularly dangerous to the home user I don't think. Around that time I was running a 20MB HDD so I wouldn't have lost much lol

We just used to format the disk if we ever detected one (which was probably when X-Copy gave the Virus warning lol)

Regards

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
virus's where a big thing on amigas,i remember getting quite a few from sharing with friends so i got in the habit of powering down the machines after each game...was pretty bad if you used lots of copys...

yes,i remember that virus.i had a couple of games completely destroyed by it...

RobA1200

Country
England
Region
watford
i remember grapevine issue 10 had a specific saddam virus killer at the start of each disc.

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Viruses weren't that much of a problem on floppy based systems imo, just keep your disks write protected and you were pretty safe for the most part.

b00mer

Country
Slovenia
Region
Maribor
Cursed Saddam wiped almost all of my asm sources on floppy based A500. I've made my own Saddam killer and after that quit programming for half a year, because the affair disheartened me so much. For me, viruses on Amiga, even floppy based one, were a *BIG* deal! I usually powered off Amiga prior to using it for serious work, but didn't eject Saddam infected floppy in DF1:. Disk validator running off non-bootable floppy was a terrible idea and ready to exploit.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
I only ever had one virus on the Amiga (can't remember the name though) and that was from a disk a friend gave me. I managed to dis-infect the disk with a version of VirusChecker of some sort.

Nothing of mine got destroyed though, as I always kept my disks write-protected until I wanted to write a file - once the write operation was complete (and the drive light went out) I would remove and re-protect the disk again (unless I was writing lots of files) - I did this out of habit as I'd read about Amiga viruses in lots of mags at the time (and the docs from VirusChecker and VirusZ).

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
Virus's wouldnt have been an issue for the average Amiga user who just simply loaded all their games from disks which would have been write protected anyway.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
Virus's wouldnt have been an issue for the average Amiga user who just simply loaded all their games from disks which would have been write protected anyway.

not true im afraid,most commercial software i bought didnt have the tab set to protect on the disk i still find this when i get amigas off other people.

viruses were an issue when you did a soft reset and used copied games,most people i knew where actively doing this all the time.

and,that is the average amiga user.

sneeker

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Manchester!
Only virus I remember was bsg9 iirc, used to get it about once every 2 months or so. Still remember it saying terrorism is a tangernism. Or something then software piracy is a crime then bsg9 and a load of other text.. Strange that I can still sort of remember it.

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
I got this one on my * hum* unofficial *hum * disks of Microprose Formula One GP in the time. It ruined my disk one. I don't know how but i manage to get the game running out of disks 2 to 4.

Top Bottom