Drive activity, always on, no boot + 32bit mem?

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I've got this pretty nice A2000 with a GVP Combo 030

and 2 maxtor 512mb drives.

Now my problem is that around 95% of the times I try to start up with them connected to the controller, the Amiga won't boot at all, and the controllers HDD activity lamp is on.
There is a LED on the drives themselves and they are off.

sometimes they work flawlessly.

I've tried attaching them individually to a HC8+ controller but no luck there either, I've also replaced the SCSI rom to 4.15 from 4.5

Are there some tricks to these old drives? or should I just bin them ?
I've attached some other drives not formated or anything, but with those there are no problems in turning on the amiga.

2. My combo card has 12 MB ram (4 soldered, and 2x4 in modules), but it doesn't display as 32bit ram in sysinfo. and adding the HC8+ card doesn't add the 8MB it has installed.

cheers

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@tomse

• You will atleast 1 SIMM populated for the 030 to run in 32bit RAM mode and (JP14 needs to be OFF) or it will setup bank 1-2 in Z2 space.
  • The HC8+ controller is within the 24bit space - so is its RAM,
  • I suspect the reason the HC8 RAMis not added is because the Z2 memory space is already in use by the GVP card
  • Without Z2 RAM SCSI performace will suffer a little.
  • I suggest getting shot of the 512MB drives - back'em up and recycle them
  • Controller Activity LED and Device LED's indicate when (a) controller is doing somthing and (b) when device is complying - these should be in sync
  • Without the GVP GuruROM you will be limmited to upto 3.78GB (using GVP 4.15 ROM)
  • Look into some 50pin to SCA80 adapters and 9.1GB SCSI SCSA drives
  • When buying SCSI disk ensure that it is both LVD (Low voltage Differential) and SE (Single Ended)
  • Also make sure that SE (Single Ended) mode is jumpered on the SCSI disk

I recently posted some recommended adapters on Abraxxylicious's SCSI thread.

hope that helps.

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
thanks Zetr0..

I discovered that (it's J12 and not J14) even though this page says that J12 should be closed to be extended (32bit) I removed the jumper and now it works :) http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=177

Booting the old Maxtor drives from the combo card does the drive active thing, but if I move the drives to the HC8+ they boot fine..

I guess my scsi host adapter on the combo card is on its way to be defective :-(

I prefer not to use SCA units and adapters..
I've never had any luck in getting them properly to work on PC's (perhaps the ones I got was of bad quality, don't know)

I have a 4.5GB SCSI-II drive.. only seen as 261mb (even on the 4.15 rom)
I think I'll have a go with it on a PC and LL format it.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I found that using FaaaaaAaast prep is the problem as it cannot read the cylinders / blocks properly.

I suggest using HDTools to setup the Drive - if you are setting it to DMA you will need to set the bit mask in the options for 24bit DMA - if you read the manual I believe that you will find it is 0x7FFFFFFF - but please check this value.

Top Bottom