Easiest SCSI drive

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
OKiez, Im over this scsi crap.

Can someone PLEASE point me in the direction of a scsi drive suitable for the following:

Must be able to plug into a 50 pin narrow scsi chain using a 68pin to 50 pin adapter.

Must be able to either TERMINATE its bloody self (I can then put it at the end of the chain), or alternatively, must be able to be terminated by the passive termination of the 50 pin device (Cd burner) at the end of the chain.

Drive must be at least 10 gb in size and I need two. One for an A3000 scsi, and one for a G-Force card in an a2000.

Thanks.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The G-force will be not able to use anything bigger than 4Gb without installing a Guru ROM.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Partition size? Or total size?

If it is total size, then do you mean if I plug in any hard disk LARGER than 4gb the g-force will not find it? Or it will find it and simply not allow you to partition it etc?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Total size.

Trying to add the drive automagically will bring Mr Guru for a tea.

You can do a dirty trick on the drive: check on the interwebz for the HD data (cylinders, sectors, etc), then on HDToolBox/GVP Faaastprep you'll reduce the number of cylinders until you have a "4Gb" HD.

Then all goes well.

I had to do the same on one A2091 some months ago.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
This cant be my problem - NO guru. Simply no drive. Other drive, cdrom and scsi scanner appear, the 68 pin drive does not.

System runs fine - no gurus, just no drive appearing.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
On my GVP Combi0 40 I Currently have an 8GB HDD with a 3.5GB partition (other space is not initiated)

I found that if you initiate somthing outside the 4GB barrier on the GVP (non guru) controllers it has a tendency NOT to see the first partition. - this could be an OS issue to be honest.

Anyway 3.5GB is enough for ClassicWorkbench 3.5 and ALL of WHDLoad that is non-AGA, non-duplicate and only in english - I am left with a little over 800MB's free space.

This is running from GVP ROM 4.15 as my guru rom wouldn't work in my adapter so alexh is gonna test it when he gets back from his holidays =)

Drives Sizes - Bigger = Not so better
Now, I will say that although the 8GB drive worked with a small partition (as did an 18.1) the 36GB drive and another 18.1 didn't, even though the latter two were recognized in HDTools the just wouldnt mount - hence appear on the desktop.

So there is a drive geometry at play here.

I also found that SFS on the GVP controller provided a bit of a headache with crashes - although this could as easily of been an install failure - being done on PC with SCSI.

If I could recommend something with the least trouble - then it would be a 50pin 4GB SCSI / SCSI2 - However.

these small drives are a little pricey for my tastes as such I look in the 8GB SCA80 range - now you will need a 50pin to SCA80 adapter -

Before we start

As a rule of thumb you need Drives that are LVD (low voltage differential) and can be configured for SE (Single Ended) and or have a Term jumper on them. (if you are not going to terminate the chain)

So if we are going to use SCA80 drives we will need an adapter -

50 / 68 to 80SCA £1 eBay.co.uk Buy It Now

Those are the better to get as I have had a lot of sucess with them - others not so. Also with these adapters you can fly out to 68pin scsi (I do this on my A4000)

Lets look at SCSI drives in Oz =)

Now this *might* be worth a shot -

36.4GB Ultra SCSI3 10k HDD $5.99 AU + $15 AU postage (eBay.com.au Buy It Now)

If I had $20 and was thinking what should I do, the I would seriously consider this with the above adapter.

Although there is a chance this WONT be compatible with the GVP FastSCSI 2 controller, it also has an equal chance of having the first 3.5GB able to be used on the GVP 4.15 ROM.

The "+" points are

Newer drive = less power, less likely to fail due to age
Can be FORCED to SE - "Single Ended" (terminated) with a jumper

- there are quite a few 9.1GB (8.7 actual) SCA80 SCSI 2 drives on eBay.com.au - so if you find a couple and want to know more about them hit me up on PM =)

Things to consider

IBM Drives & Cheeta Drives (although noisy!) are good! these are a few of my favourite things... ".....Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels..."... err... sorry about that....

I would also suggest that you buy a LDV/SE scsi adapter for your PC - this will make harddisk installs AWESOMELY fast / and changeable - without the nightmare of FaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAst Prep =)

Things to Avoid

STAY AWAY from Compaq SCSI3 hot-swappables - these are NOT LVD (low voltage differential) infact they are HVD (High voltage Differential) and hence will not work on your GVP controller

Fushitsu Harddrives - of any make or model, SCSI or IDE - these drives are packed full with epic ammounts of concrete fail! - stay away!

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Hi Zetr0,

okiez, I already have 6, count em, 6 Seagate Cheetah model ST336807LW drives. These are 36 gb drives with a "force single ended" jumper, but NO onboard termination.

I also have some 50 pin to 68 pin adapters. No luck.

I have two of these drives working in my A4000 with Cyberstorm Mk III - running perfectly.

I would like to able to use some of them in the a2k and a3k.... any suggestionson how to? Or should I dump them and keep looking?

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Abraxylicious

Single ended is Terminated (internally speaking) - if the controller cannot see the disk its either one of two things.

1. The Adapter you are using is not correcting the high bits
2. Drive geomerty is incompatible.

take a pic / or linky a pic of your Adapter.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
My personal choice is the Quantum Viking/Atlas series: 5400RPM of silent SCSI operation and they are not an utterly POS like Compaq/Fujitsu.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
@Abraxylicious

Single ended is Terminated (internally speaking) - if the controller cannot see the disk its either one of two things.

1. The Adapter you are using is not correcting the high bits
2. Drive geomerty is incompatible.

take a pic / or linky a pic of your Adapter.

Cannot find a link (will take a piccy later), BUT I do not think they have any termination of any kind on them - they are simply a 50 pin male and 68 pin femail connector on a tiny pcb with circuitry tracks going from each pin on one to each pin on the other - there is not a single component, resistor, ic nothing on the board at all.

Could this be the problem?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Those adaptors work fine. But sometimes you need an active passtrough terminator on the back of the drive, or setting the HD to provide termination for itself (remember to also turn on the TERM_POWER jumper).

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
There is no term power shown on these drives. There is two pins next to each other at one end of the jumpers with "+5volts" marked on pin 1, and "to scsi bus" marked on pin 2 - could this be term power? Should I jumper the two pins together?

Help. :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
This is exactly what TERM_POWER is: provides +5V to the SCSI bus.

But just to be sure, can you tell us the exact model of the drive?

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Hi rkauer, again, thank you for all your help - I REALLY appreciate it.

The exact model is a Seagate Cheetah 10k.7 model ST336807LW.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Lol, are you sure its page 58?! There is only rubbish about scsi product inquiry on page 58!

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Page 58 shows the J2 jumper block: there you'll see the two extreme jumpers must be set to force SE and provide termination power.

This jumper block is on the side of HD, not in the front or back.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Ahhhh, I see what you've done. You mean the 58th page of the pdf file, I was looking at PAGE 58 of the pdf file (there are about 10 pages of contents/index etc).

I see, thanks for that! Will try that tonight. So, with Single Ended switched on, does the drive terminate itself? If so, I have to move it to the end of the chain and take the termination of the cdrom that was at the end. Correct?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Correct, but you have to also set TERMINATION ON on the drive, plus the other two mini jumpers.

So, in the drive you must set to on:

-Termination (when the drive is the last of the chain/cable - on your case, you must do it);

-Termination power (if using external active terminators);

-Force Singled Ended.

Top Bottom