Ebay. FOOT IN MY OWN MOUTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardboardboxer

Country
EU
Region
UK
I bought some second hand speakers from ebay last week. They are the same models as my current front stereos, i was going to use them as rears for surround sound as i also use a centre channel speaker. They arrived and matched the description in terms of cosmetic condition. I tested them and nothing happend. I used several different speaker wires, different channels on my receiver, different audio sources, later under instructions from the seller i tried my friends amplifier and still nothing. Me and my friend think someones been in these because the rubber grommets where the pegs for the grilles fit comes loose so you can see the front screws and the glue residue that sticks the rubber grommets. Obviously i never said anything as i didn't want the seller to tag blame me and proclaim i had done that.

I did get a refund but he doesn't really believe that they don't function or understand why they don't; i couldn't give a crap tbh as long as i got my money back because its not like i buggerd them up they just arrived like that.

Probably most of the users here know under UK statutory law the seller has to pay for returns postage if there is a fault or its not the correct item ect, buyer pays when there is no problem with the item but you just want a refund or exchange (some companies/sellers do offer returns gratus tho they are not obliged too).

I said i would send the item back and have a refund (note i didn't say i would or would not PAY to do send them back).

I posted him a message via ebay
Who pays for return postage costs?

Quickly sent another message as i thought that previous one was a bit cheeky.
Sorry i didnt mean to sound cheeky there but the other time i did a return, ebay sent me a postage label themselves so all i had to do was make sure the item was packed well. Im not really sure how this works tbh.

Kieran

The reply from the seller was as follows
I really don't want to upset anyone but as I have previously said the speakers were working fine up till I sent them. I'm going to be massively out of pocket, I'm going to have a set of speakers that no longer work and will probably have to get them repaired. I'm not blaming anyone apart from maybe the way they were treated by the courier so would really appreciate it if I didn't have to pay return postage as well. Really sorry Gary

My next reply was totally STUPID!
I do understand so it's no problem, since you've been very helpful i'll send them down myself. Can't fault your patience. I'll use collect+ or something. I'll let you know and send you the tracking info.

Kieran

MY GOD do i not feel like this anymore. The seller saying that THEY would be out of pocket didn't at the time irk me but later it did, i thought its not my problem as far as i know it arrived at my house non functioning but wasn't listed as such. For all i know he could have just sent me a broken item. If the item truly was working before he sent it then the courier is totally at fault and should take it up with them not ME. Now i am going to be £10 or so out of pocket just because i didn't want to argue with him about postage. I PUT MY FOOT RIGHT IN MY MOUTH by agreeing to send it at my cost. TBH he wasn't really helpful at all, never gave me any advice on how to test them (even though i know how too) so all he did was protest and insinuate.

Sorry if this belongs in another thread.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess all i can do now is send it back at my expense. I'm usually really careful about what i say in messages like that, this is what bothers me most i think.
I must have felt sorry for the seller in all of those 5mins like how it might not have been his fault either, but i instantly regretted it. I don't know why i felt sorry for him because
A: his problem is with the courior not me
B: i have no way to tell if he was telling the truth about them working before

Like i said in the messages to the seller, on the few times i needed too return an item ebay has sent me a postage label and as i understand it they charge the seller directly for it. This time even though i used the Returns function after getting a refund i was left to organise return postage myself.

Last edited:

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
Put an ohmmeter on them and see what you get. If the circuit is open (broken), and there isn't any physical damage to be seen, then it's a pretty safe bet that they were bad from the get go.

dean7878

Country
USA
Region
Baker City, OR 97814
You just need to learn that your foot will fit somewhere else with the proper amount of force. Once you put it there you wont want it in your mouth anymore.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Sorry guys, it is frustrating when things go wrong in a transaction, however, this is a problem for eBay to sort out. eBay are best placed to sort this out, and we don't support eBay complaints threads.
We would soon be swamped with then if we did. ;)
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom