eBay hit with $3M fine, admits to “terrorizing innocent people”

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Is this what eBay has become today? My goodness....Silicon Valley is ground zero for Creeps Inc. Think about this culture that is supported by listing and purchasing on that platform. And for once, none of the nonsense "admits no fault". Actually holds eBay criminally and financially responsible!

eBay's harassment campaign against the couple, David and Ina Steiner, stretched for 18 days in August 2019 and was led by the company's former senior director of safety and security, Jim Baugh. It started when then-CEO Devin Wenig and then-chief communications officer Steven Wymer decided to "take down" the Steiners after growing frustrated with their coverage of eBay in a newsletter called EcommerceBytes.

Executing the "take down," Baugh and six co-conspirators "put the victims through pure hell," acting US attorney Joshua S. Levy wrote in the DOJ's press release.

The former eBay employees turned the Steiners' world "upside-down through a never-ending nightmare of menacing and criminal acts," Levy said. That included "sending anonymous and disturbing deliveries," such as "a book on surviving the death of a spouse, a bloody pig mask, a fetal pig and a funeral wreath and live insects," the DOJ said. The intimidation also included publishing a series of "Craigslist posts inviting the public for sexual encounters at the victims’ home."

But the intimidation did not stop there. After sending tweets and DMs threatening to visit the couple's home, former eBay employees escalated the criminal activity by traveling to Massachusetts and installing a GPS tracker on the Steiners' car. Spotting their stalkers, the Steiners called local police, who coordinated with the FBI to investigate what Levy called an "unprecedented stalking campaign" fueled by eBay's toxic corporate culture.

WOW, right? I mean...wow.

...oh no...from a commenter no the article: "Also something that should be noted is that both CEO Devin Wenig and communications officer Steven Wymer did not face any charges and instead were fired. Wenig received a $57 million severance package..."

Last edited:

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
Only a fine of $3 million? That's about 4 seconds worth of over inflated fee's they charge before their coffee is even brewed on any given morning.

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
I'm sure there will be civil settlement too, and I hope that's much more meaningful. Glad to know the increased fees and charges are going to a good purpose.

If this type of corporate behaviour doesn't make us stop using the product, what will? I'm done with giving eBay a single cent directly or indirectly - if I can at all help it.

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Hold on a second...if this settlement holds eBay criminally responsible for criminal acts for which their employees and officers went behind bars this now means that factually...eBay is now a criminal with a criminal record! A criminal organization? :)

THAT is a YouTube ad I want to see! We'll have to wait for John Oliver to do one for us?

Last edited:

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
Ebay will probably just call it a "goodwill gesture" and publicly wash their hands of their former employee's wrongdoings, citing "we had no knowledge" etc etc.

Obfuscation and hiding behind their lawyers will soon make this event assigned to the annuls of history and forgotten about.

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
It is Ebay good or getting worse?
I would have to say worse. Why? I recently got scammed for a Funko-Pop doll. The buyer swapped the new one I sent for a damaged one. I sent a lot of pictures to eBay and they closed the dispute in the buyers favor, and then to add insult to injury I had to pay for their damaged item to be returned to me.

With these being such highly collectable items I should have security marked it, more fool me. I have a lot going on at the moment and didn't think someone would scam for a £9 doll.

Another lesson learned, and I am finally giving up selling anything on eBay.

Last edited:

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
I have found Temu to be better than Ebay in some respects. Still the same kind of Made In China stuff on there but a very big difference in pricing.

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
I have found Temu to be better than Ebay in some respects. Still the same kind of Made In China stuff on there but a very big difference in pricing.
My wifey has bought a few items from Temu and I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised when they arrived.

Timtheloon

retrofanatics.co.uk
Staff member
Staff Moderator
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Hampshire
Wow that's an interesting read

I love & hate eBay in the fact that sometimes you do get a great bargain or purchase but I do feel that the seller doesn't get the best help when it comes to fraudulent activity, so I understand you frustration @Watson unless you take pictures of it using the bullet time method used in the Matrix your unlikely to win :LOL: if I'm honest you probably still wont and its one of the reasons I wont sell on eBay.

That being said I have been thankful of eBay protection in the past. I have an instances with a CDi disc purchase the seller tried to make out I damaged the disc, oh and this wasn't a scratch on the bottom of the disc, this was a scratch in the top so a cd write-off as such. Luckily for me the pictures he used in the original listing showed the game in a normal cd case not a cdi case when he tried to show proof of the disc in a good state, the one he showed was one in an original CDI case so I was like just to add the one you sent has the rip in the cover has shown in your listing pictures and my pictures not in your proof pictures the other is the fact that your proof picture shows a cdi game case not a normal CD case which is not the same as what is listed. now it was not mega bucks but I'm not paying for damaged goods

Boing-ball

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
You may have to be careful with Temu. There have been reports that U.S buyers data being harvested and used by TEMU.

Not sure if it’s scaremongering or what?

qz3fwd

Country
United States
Region
Michigan
I find that ebay almost always sides with the buyer and that is how it should be otherwise the consumer would have no confidence in the marketplace. Unless there is a pattern of a buyer abusing the situation it will stay this way and the buyer is "protected". I have relied on this many times with questionable sellers listing rather hard to find/unique items. I knew I would get my money back if a scam seller.

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
You may have to be careful with Temu. There have been reports that U.S buyers data being harvested and used by TEMU.
I don't use the Temu app and never access their website without a VPN running. As I know they can (see: do) harvest your data, I also have a disposable email account strictly for this.

Always use Paypal too if available, NEVER give Temu your credit card details.

<edit> And don't be fooled by any flashy advertising or promotions on the website. It's just a way to try and make you spend more time and more money there.

Last edited:

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
More news out of eBay. Am I alone in demanding companies are held to highest standard if they are to get my vote-money?

Commodore killed Amiga through incompetence, which is not the kind of evil corporate behaviour we've seen in recent years from tech. I've completely shut out Meta/Twitter/TicTok, all social media since the start really and Amazon out of my life successfully (granted, I'm a vast minority), and it looks like this eBay marketplace needs to get the same treatment. High on the list is also VW Group and Dieselgate. I've cost them 4 car sales personally by reminding friends of their corporate behaviour, which consumers forgive all too quickly in my view. On the other hand, they know consumers are weak. All they have to do is offer a sale and they rush in, fine particulate human killing law breaking emissions forgotten.

Anyhow...here is the latest eBay indiscretion and fine...>>>

eBay has agreed to pay $59 million after the US Department of Justice accused the online marketplace of selling thousands of pill presses and encapsulating machines, some of which were used by rings trafficking in illegal counterfeit pills.

It's the fourth largest settlement under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and the first-ever settlement with an e-commerce company, a DOJ press release noted.

Last edited:

Watson

Forth Year Navvie
Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Nottingham
I use Amazon on the rare, my wifey however is an Amazon addict. As for Meta, TikTok and Twitter, I have never had accounts with them and I'm not familiar with Meta. (y)

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
The only thing I purchased from Amazon within the last 12 months was a mobile phone, anything else I can usually find cheaper elsewhere.

I use Ebay for general buying such as rolls of blue paper and bulk disinfectant for the greenhouses. The odd occasional bit of computer hardware too and some components for the soldering iron.

Last edited:

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
It's not easy, because they entice us with low prices. But when it comes to Amazon, I've been really strict with myself since they've basically put a friend's bookshop out of business long time back. The only way to do it is to run it through a filter of "do I really really need to give them this money in my hand", and also wait 24 hours to cool off that instant gratification urge. Turns out I find out I don't need it that badly, and also, I never need something more than the need to not give Amazon any money. Again...I'm in the big minority.

It literally has to be exclusive and unavailable anywhere else, and that just hasn't happened. I've gotten to the point where I don't even look at Amazon for years, hence I don't have the problem of being tempted with their crap. I already black out Internet shopping sites on family holidays they all try to turn into buying/consumption/binge days. Screw that jazz! Prime time to be off-line and go for a walk with the wife and kids in my view. You see Jeff online and shopping for useless crap during these holidays? I don't think so.

With eBay, I've gotten to the point where I really only use it as a source for low cost Chinese goods that result in minimal fee benefit, but even this needs to end.

When it comes to social media companies, way back when I had them figured out, fortunately. I have never in my life typed facebook.com into the URL window. I also read the Zuckerberg text exchange early on to solidify my opinion of who and what we're dealing with...

Now it appears an IM exchange Mark had with a college friend back in 2004, might have been telling of things to come as he expressed disbelief that so many people would willingly hand over their information. As reported by Business Insider, the conversation according to SAI sources, went as follows.

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard
Zuck: Just ask.
Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS
[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?
Zuck: People just submitted it.
Zuck: I don't know why.
Zuck: They "trust me"
Zuck: Dumb f**ks.

I'll opt out of being a Dumb F**k, thank you Mark. Honestly, are people not sick of the ads and marketing already on those sites? Don't they see what these corporations turned the internet into? Since when do we like ads this much? Netflix ad supported is a thing? The minute they killed basic plan I was done giving them money too. Obviously they don't want it or need it anymore, and that's just lovely by me.

Think back to when Commodore was folding, remember the initial email access on BBSs and then the wonderful Internet, onto which you had to earn the right to get onto through having some technical knowledge of computers?

I don't care...I'm saying it...IQ of Internet users is way down. These companies exploit it. I blame Jobs and his one button iPhones and iPads for starters. :) They all know that humanity is low on will power, and for some strange reason just can't say no to them.

To leave on a positive, I'm really pleased how this hobby Amiga world still exists entirely outside of those marketplaces. How the makers of custom pieces avoid giving these eBays and Amazons any fees/margin/money. And how you we can support it, trade, buy and sell stuff here, all without giving these Silicon Valley creeps a single red cent. LOVE IT!

Don't want to get cheesy, but tell me how each time you sell something on here you shouldn't give Amibay a buck. Just think of how much eBay or Amazon would rip out of your wallet. I remember when it was 2% range, now eBay charges 13.25% fees! THIEVES!

Last edited:

YouKnowWho

Country
Canada
Region
Ontario
Forgive Watson (et al), I can get a little ranty. But that's only because we allow these companies to enshittify everything tech now. How did we end up in this timeline?

Look at this:

How is this a thing? How are the sellout politicians allowing it to be legal? They answer to us, don't they? How the heck did we end up like this?

Top Bottom