Ebay Muppets!

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Had a bit of bad luck on Ebay.

I decided to buy 2x 80-68/50 pin SCSI adaptors from China. I thought this seller has 50,000+ feedback so should be ok. A week or two later I check into My Ebay and see the seller is no longer registered, account suspended. :eek:

I found a way to contact the seller via ebay, ...no response.

A day after the items should have arrived (between November 10 and 24) I open a dispute and get an apologetic reply from the seller a day later saying I will get a full refund until the items arrive at which time would I kindly re-pay for the items. I thought this sounds too good to be true.

Left it until yesterday to check the support call status and see that Ebay have closed the call on the strength that a refund was offered, not that I received it or following satisfactory resolution. I am unable to open another support call for the same item and Paypal also does not allow a dispute to be opened as it links into the same Ebay mechanism.

I've since sent two emails to Ebay about this, no reply yet. I asked on the Ebay forums about this and a couple of replies indicate similar experiences.

I'll leave it another day and send Ebay a Snotogram. :censored:

On a plus note but equally as bizzar, Ebay sent me a £5 voucher to spend on Ebay as a good will gesture that I was able to resolve the issue with the seller.

So much for buyer protection and "Shop with confidence".

That was my first and last purchase from China!!! (n)

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Avoid China and Hong-Kong (almost similar experience and very slow delivery). (n)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I seem to normally have good business with China/Hongkong via fleabay.

it would seem you have been monumentally unlucky Ed. =(

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Buy within Europe countries.

That way, your money will stay in Europe and will be "recycled" within European territories and not left out to other continents.

Thus, European countries will be richer day by day, and not need for IMF to take any action.

:p:p:p:p

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
It's odd; it seems like some people (myself among them) have absolutely no trouble buying from Hong Kong, while other people have universally negative experiences with it. Never seems to be any middle ground. :huh:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Out of my 300 or so ebay dealings, quite a few with China/Hong Kong and no problems however the two or three times I've been turned over its been by UK sellers :(

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
I have had bad luck with Thailand and Hong Kong personally.

The purchase I made from Thailand was similar to the thread starter's situation. The seller's account was suspended after my purchase and the item was never sent after 2 months of waiting. I opened a case with Ebay and then received a message from the seller the next day. The seller promised me he would send the item the very next day and give me a tracking number, then the next week passed and still no tracking number. When I sent him another message he said his car wasn't working and he had to get it fixed and it is now fixed so he can send the package tomorrow and send the tracking number. I let it slide giving him the benefit of the doubt because I am nice. Another week went by. I message him again, he said he couldn't send the package because it was a Thailand National Holiday. I told him I was giving him until Monday to give me a tracking number (It was Tuesday at the time). Monday came, still no tracking number. Sent another message to Ebay, the seller contacts me again begging that I give him another chance...I ignored him. Ebay issued me a full refund.

I ordered from Hong Kong a couple of times and both times the items were incomplete. The first time was a "PSP Case Replacement with buttons and shoulder buttons"...this was the description. They even showed a picture of it with everything, and in red letters it said "even comes with the right screwdriver to open your PSP". When I received the package it was only the case replacement. No buttons or screwdriver. When I contacted the seller he said that the ad was just a generic listing that he copied and pasted from another listing and the buttons and screwdriver didn't come with it. I was irritated but I only paid $8 with free shipping so I let it slide and ordered the buttons separately from a US seller.

The other Hong Kong incident was a 3DO that I bought for $40..the listing said "tested...powers on just fine and works"...when the 3DO arrived it did in fact power on...but there was no picture. I could hear the audio though. When I contacted the seller he said "I never said the picture worked..I said it powered on and worked. Since you can hear the audio, it is working...it just has no picture"....WTF?!

Last edited:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
That is strange, anyhow since I already quoted that I had no problems - not going to repeat that. Basically I believe others experience. I bought sheap electronic pieces.

I agree that it is better to buy in Europe, but honestly who believes that the stuff you buy here does not come from the same ****

Last visit to sheap local electronic store was to buy batteries for my other hobby photography, the result was about 10 eu for about 4 batteries. (yeah remote controls, remote shutters, remote camera control ed.)

I've bought 5x for that amount from ebay instead of local seller.

Is that my problem he has overhead?? No ..Now I have a nice stock, meaning I will never loose a remote control while operating.:whistle: By something extra ranging from 4.5 to 1.5 locally no txs.. I think even the cR2... were expensive..

Amigarobbo

AmiBayer
Country
Widnes, UK
Region
Cheshire
I got something that didn't work of ebay, a PS2 to Amiga mouse converter as it happens, I've still got a case open, with them spending the next 24-48 hours to review the case, and it's been like that for 5 months now... Every single link, about 3 of them, on the page is to close the issue..

merlinkv

Country
Ukraine
Region
Kyiv
I bought only three times from Hong Kong. Not problems. prices are good and delivery faster.........

I remember only two "issues" on EBay, one from USA & other from.... My Country!!!!!. Anyway the two are solved OK, later than expected, but OK.....

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
Had a bit of bad luck on Ebay.

I decided to buy 2x 80-68/50 pin SCSI adaptors from China. I thought this seller has 50,000+ feedback so should be ok. A week or two later I check into My Ebay and see the seller is no longer registered, account suspended. :eek:

Heh, I just got 2x laptop to IDE adapters from someone in China, not the same guy as still around. 84,000+ feedback, but regular negative feedback of "my too good to be true $1" turned out to be ":)censored: PRODUCT)", yes someone actually wrote that.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if your seller was stealing stuff from work and got busted.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've never had any issues buying items on ebay from HK/China sellers either. Delivery times can sometimes be a joke. Longest time I've had to wait was nearly 3 months for a small IDE cable adapter. Other than that most things arrive within 2 weeks... which is still quite a time to wait even for international shipping.

The only recent trouble I've had with a Chinese seller was when they sent me 2 counterfeit PS2 memory cards, but had sold them on ebay as Sony originals. That is something to be expected with all electronics and related items coming from China. You shouldn't expect real original items, but normally they work just as well. I left negative feedback with those memory cards and was pestered for months with emails from the seller saying how my negative feedback was affecting his business, which was his only form of income for his family. I complained to ebay about these emails but didn't get a reply. By 20 emails I was getting very annoyed, so spent an hour going through all of his ebay sales and reported them all as counterfeit and illegal. They were all closed down, but the seller seems to still be trading and has their account... I bet if I tried that ebay would close my account down after just a couple of bogus sales listings!

Magno Boots

AmiBayer
Country
North Herts, UK
I've purchased dozens of things from Hong Kong Ebay sellers over the last few years and everyting has turned up within three weeks as expected.

But...

The last three auctions won in October (from separate sellers) have failed to turn up.

I wonder if there is a problem with their postal service at present?

coze

Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo

That way, your money will stay in Europe and will be "recycled" within European territories and not left out to other continents.

Thus, European countries will be richer day by day, and not need for IMF to take any action.

no, you'll just be making someone who took the risk of buying from china richer.

everything is produced in china these days, there's no way you can avoid your money from going there (unless you dont buy anything and start living in a cave)

anagrama

Country
England
Region
Manchester
That actually sounds like a good plan, a nice spacious cave, a bit of heating and a power source to top up the fridge with beer and power your gadgets... I wonder if its possible to claim a cave as your home under the squatters rights act?

Im going looking into it... ugh ugh

no, you'll just be making someone who took the risk of buying from china richer.

everything is produced in china these days, there's no way you can avoid your money from going there (unless you dont buy anything and start living in a cave)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Some things are still made in Japan! And even in Europe, which might be hard to believe. Chinese manufactured items have improved a lot in the last couple of years. It's the items made in India you need to avoid!

anagrama

Country
England
Region
Manchester
Some things are still made in Japan! And even in Europe, which might be hard to believe. Chinese manufactured items have improved a lot in the last couple of years. It's the items made in India you need to avoid!

This includes the Indian eBay sellers helpline!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Indian call centres... how do companies continue to think they are a good idea? Who actually stays on the phone and talks to them?

It could be worse... I'm not against any nationality or accent, but everyone has to agree that specific accents are hard to understand at the best of times. A strong Indian accent speaking English very quickly is very hard to understand even when face to face. The alternative it seems is to have call centres populated with people with very strong Scottish accents talking very fast. I give up!

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
I decided to do all I can to support my country, the good old US of A!!!

And since China owns most of us, I figure the best way to help is to buy from China whenever possible.. ;-)

Seriously, I've bought a few things from China/e-bait and haven't had any problems yet. <knocking on head>

Sorry for your problems..

desiv
p.s. @Harrison - We have the same issues with Call Centers over here too... When we were buying from Dell, there were lots of complaints. The rep came down to explain to us that Dell had decided to move the tech call center calls back to the US... I asked, where in the US, just wondering.. He said Arkansas.. I said.. Hmmm... Can we go back to India? ;-)

Top Bottom