Not open for further replies.

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife
Well, after 10 years my huge 32" Sony Trinitron TV has bitten the dust. :(

Strange purpley-blue hues at the the four corners, with only a small circle at the middle which is rendered correctly. Looks like the green channel is bust.

So, now is a good time to go shopping for a new full HD bad-boy... any recommendations?

AndyC

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Re: Dead Sony Trinitron!

Hey Andy, i bought series 4 32" Samsung LN32A450 last month from Currys for £349.99
According to currys and Samsung it is only capable of 720p but i can confirm it will run in 1080p (1920x1080) resolution as i have done this with both my xbox360 & PS3.
I think its a great TV and not a bad price for full HD.

Mike

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

Hmmm...

I got the 26" Samsung A series for my PC/ PS3 last year - fantastic picture, and can display the 1080i - very crisp picture.

Are you sure your TV can actually display progressive 1080p? It might be 1080i (interlaced)...

(edit: your TV can only show interlaced 1080 - if you connect your PC up to the VGA port or via DVI-HDMI, you'll find your maximum resolution is 1366 x 768, which is 720p only)

Curiously though, the Trinitron appears to have healed itself - I've heard though that these problems are essentially the final death throes of the TV, so I think it's on borrowed time!

Cheers,
AndyC

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

I have done a scan with both the xbox 360 and ps3 for compatible modes and both consoles show its capable of 576p, 720p, 1080i & 1080p
Its currently running at 1920x1080 resolution which as far as i'm aware full 1080p HD via HDMI on PS3.
I really do think its a fantastic tv for the price.

Mike

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

Yeah - exactly the same as my PS3 - you can send a 1080p signal to the TV and it will display it, but not as full hd.

Hit the info button (i) and it'll say your display is 1920x1080i...

Am I right?

AndyC

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

It doesnt actually say i or p it just says 1920x1080 @50hz
Either way though it does look good and was a decent price.

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife
Re: Edit: Reanimated Sony Trinitron!

Indeed!

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade - apologies if it came over this way... :?

As I said though, the only way to know for sure is to connect a PC up to the VGA port and see what the native resolution is.

A full HD tv will have a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels (or thereabouts) whereas 720p will have native resolutions of 1366 x 768 (or thereabouts).

I can display 1080p resolutions from the PC if I use the nvidia HDMI options, but the picture is definitely interlaced, and you can tell that it's not full HD - small fonts aren't well rendered for example.

On a related note, last weekend I was trying to sort out some problems my dad was having with his Sky HD and Samsung full HD tv. When I investigated the wiring I found that his Sky HD box was only connected to the TV via scart... It had been like this since he got Sky HD about 18 months ago (not sure who installed it for him!)

I always thought that his picture was quite poor, and on that basis wasn't fussed about HD - however I fixed his connection and the difference in quality was stunning.

Needless to say he felt like a bit of a lemon!

AndyC

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

didn't mean to sound as if i was getting upset. I was just my happiness with the tv lol
Well i took your advice and plugged my pc in via vga cable and the native resolution is 1360x768.
I've not actually tried sky Hd as i'm not a sky customer (im vermin (oops virgin) media and just SDTV as i don't watch it that much) but i am planning to upgrade to their V+ 120Gb Recordable HD service soon.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

@Andy

Your initial description of the fault sounds like the set has not degaussed the CRT for a while, Have you left the TV on standby for a few days...??

Problems with a failing cathode tend to produce a total lack of a primary colour rather than patches...

TC :)

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

The most it had been left on standby since last being on was probably about 12 hours - fairly normal.

It's since fixed itself, however there were a few other issues that preceded the problem - e.g. taking time to warm up after being switched on (very green picture when first switched on) and intermittent loss of picture (say once or twice during the course of a normal evening's viewing).

I think I'll put some money aside for a new TV in the next few weeks anyway (y)

AndyC

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Have you had any speakers near the TV lately? Such strange picture distortion and colour lose can be due to large magnets getting too close to the screen. I've accidently had large home cinema front speakers too close to a CRT TV and it resulted in part of the screen going blue/green. However the next day it had fixed itself.

As for HDTVs. Samsung and Panasonic are the two makes to go for.

Except at the moment I would look at Panasonic as there are loads of reports of Samsung TV panels having faults, and I can report that the 19" HDTV I have in the bedroom stopped working last week, and is only just over 1 year old. The screen is completely blank/black, but you can hear sound. Not impressed and hope I can get it fixed. I've read in a couple of different places that people discovered it was the PSU capacitors gone bad. Not something you expect these days.

Is it me, or are a lot of electronics these days not of as good quality as they used to be? My Toshiba CRT 32" TV is still going strong and is now about 15 years old! Whereas this Samsung panel has died after just one year. And other electronics such as more recently made VCRs and DVD players seem to pack up after only a few years, whereas I still have VCRs from the late 80's that still work, and an all be it expensive Sony DVD player from 2001 that is still working perfectly.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

@harrison, check up with samsung as i believe they offer 3 year warranty on most of their lcds. i have 21" hd tvthat i use as a monitor bought last year and it came with 3 years and the 32" i bought last month also states 3 years

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Cheers. I was wondering if it might have a 2 or 3 year warranty. The box for it is in the loft, and I think the manual and receipt must be in there. Will have to look when I can this week.

AndyC

AmiBayer
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Fife

I bought my TV from JohnLewis for the 5 year warranty...

Will likely do the same this weekend when we buy the new Series 6 40" 1080p Samsung TV from them too :thumbsup2:

AndyC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom