Experiencing problems with Firefox, so which browser should I use instead?

Experiencing problems with Firefox, so which browser should I use instead?

• Microsoft Internet Explorer

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Mozilla SeaMonkey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google Chrome

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Opera

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (please specify in your post)

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Hi all,

Been having weird problems with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3 not wanting to display pages ... getting 'server not found' messages and long delays, despite having a decent connection and my other internet applications (MSN Messenger, download manager etc.) not being affected.

I have to keep refreshing for the browser to load pages, usually it happens on RCM forum and RG forum but has happened with my Yahoo Mail and other websites.
I don't get this problem with Internet Explorer 8 (although I actually hate IE)

I've ran an anti-virus scan and anti-spyware/anti-malware scan and it's all clean.

The only major requirement I have of whatever browser I use is that it is works with Xmarks (a browser addon that synchronises bookmarks online) or has it's own facilities that provide the same feature.

So, possibly looking at changing browser.
Which one should I go for? vote for your favourite please

Cheers
woody.cool

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
If Firefox was not working for me I'd use Safari.

J

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
If Firefox was not working for me I'd use Safari.

J
I'm just finding that newer versions of Firefox are getting pretty bad in comparison to older versions.

These problems only started happening since the recent upgrade to Firefox 3.6.3 (and going back is a pain, baring in mind Firefox will end up 'updating itself' anyway)

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I have had problems with Firefox since school required that I buy Adobe's Master Collection CS4. Since then I have problems with Flash on it. I use Google Chrome on websites that I have problems with on Firefox and that works fine for me. Of course I must temper my statement with the fact that I am using a PC and not a Mac, so I have no idea the quality of Chrome of OS X. Sorry, I like my video games. Maybe if Steam makes headway on the Mac OS then other companies will produce more games for the Mac.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
I have had problems with Firefox since school required that I buy Adobe's Master Collection CS4. Since then I have problems with Flash on it. I use Google Chrome on websites that I have problems with on Firefox and that works fine for me. Of course I must temper my statement with the fact that I am using a PC and not a Mac, so I have no idea the quality of Chrome of OS X. Sorry, I like my video games. Maybe if Steam makes headway on the Mac OS then other companies will produce more games for the Mac.
I'm using a Windows PC running Windows 7 but I do also have an iMac G3 which I occasionally use.

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
[I'm just finding that newer versions of Firefox are getting pretty bad in comparison to older versions.

These problems only started happening since the recent upgrade to Firefox 3.6.3 (and going back is a pain, baring in mind Firefox will end up 'updating itself' anyway)
I'm in agreement with this, myself; I was quite turned off by 2.0's heavyweight approach, and 3.x seems to be even worse in this regard. I'm still using 1.5 and have been for quite some time with no real problems (even got past Google's new "please upgrade to Chrome or something" YouTube nag screen just by changing the ident string,) though I can't say whether or not your plugin will work with it or not.

However, before you go mucking around with anything, have you tried reinstalling Firefox? It might be a simple fix for your problem.

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
However, before you go mucking around with anything, have you tried reinstalling Firefox? It might be a simple fix for your problem.
Yeah, done that.
I even tried uninstalling it, installing 3.6 instead of 3.6.3 (which is when I first noticed the problems) and I still get the same issues.

As a matter of course, I tried it in a different OS (I multi-boot several OSes on my PC) and still had the same problem.

MagerValp

Country
Sweden
Region
Gothenburg
Been having weird problems with Mozilla Firefox 3.6.3 not wanting to display pages ... getting 'server not found' messages and long delays, despite having a decent connection and my other internet applications (MSN Messenger, download manager etc.) not being affected.´

First of all, uninstall any firewalls, anti-spyware utilities, and things like that - they often do more harm than good. Then I'd suggest nuking your Firefox profile and creating a fresh one. Odds are that you've installed some extension that's screwing things up, or that it's just become corrupted.

I've also seen problems like this on a Mac, but then it was the broadband router and related to IPv6 DNS lookups. It could be worth switching to google's DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) just to rule it out.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
I use Opera for almost a decade now... I prefer it over anything, but it does have it's qwirks too... there is no perfect browser AFAIK :p

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
First of all, uninstall any firewalls, anti-spyware utilities, and things like that - they often do more harm than good.

Brave talk my Vikin brother. How do you stay safe? Linux? On a Microsoft machine I think it would die days if not hours after unprotected hex on the internet.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Opera is meant to be quite good, my friend is adamant it is the best so that may be worth a try.

Muzer

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
Opera is really the unsung hero of the browsers - its one disadvantage is not being open-source. It has all of the features of firefox + extensions or chrome and more, and none of the bloat at all. How they manage to fit speech recognition that works in (although I don't use it) without it becoming huge and slow is beyond me...

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
I've tried Opera, but for some reason, don't really like the UI of the browser.
I'm sure it's a good browser and all, but I can't get on with it!
I'll give it another go.

Brave talk my Vikin brother. How do you stay safe? Linux? On a Microsoft machine I think it would die days if not hours after unprotected hex on the internet.
I conducted a test on this quite a while back.
I tested on Windows XP Professional SP3 and Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 and ..... low and behold, it was about 30 minutes before the Vista machine got infected and about 25 minutes for the XP machine to get infected (not much in it) and I didn't go visiting any dodgy sites on purpose.
I think I'll keep my firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware software enabled thanks ;)

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
If you re-install it, you still need to remove it's directory, and re-install it in a new directory to make sure.. Even on Winblows..:D I can't believe the problems you are having.. On linux whe have swiftfox, but I don't use it since Firefox is fast enough:blink: I installed firefox on an old PIII 1GHZ on XP and it's fast...

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
If you're going to run a crap OS like Bills variety, then you're just as well using his browser & get screwed for real.

Kin

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
If you're going to run a crap OS like Bills variety, then you're just as well using his browser & get screwed for real.

Kin

wow Kin,
are you in a bad mood per chance? the guy wants advise on a browser not a personal attack on his OS, and i belive your running XP aren't you?

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Kin
ROFLMFAO :LOL:

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

wow Kin,
are you in a bad mood per chance? the guy wants advise on a browser not a personal attack on his OS, and i belive your running XP aren't you?
Don't worry ..... I often mutter the words about how crap Windows is, but it's what I know ;) familiarity an' all

JiggyMF

AmiBayer
Country
the Netherlands
Region
Breda area
I used to be a 'IE is crap' guy, but although it hurts to say, since i have tried IE8 i have gone back.
I think IE8 is really on the good track, its fast, it works decently, and it stole most of the nifty features of the other browsers making it now quite complete, and I have found it more stable and close to standards/compitability (although there's still some microsoft trickery here and there) then firefox or anything else i've tried.

Can't say i'm a browser expert though, it's just what i experience. Especially on a windows system i'd just use ie tbh ^^

easypreacher

Country
United Kingdom
Region
North Devon
this may have something to do with any Java addons you have installed in firefox. I have been having problems all day using this site with firefox 3.6.3 and having checked my addons, there is a problem with "Java Development Toolkit 6.0.180.7" having stability and security issues. I have had to try 3 times just to post this reply to your thread. I'm off now to uninstall FFox and re-install to see if it solves the problem.

Top Bottom